ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sub box building

hi

im wanting to build some sub boxes for 8" subs one in each side of the boot. jsut wanted to know:

what thickness of mdf to use?

Do i glue and screw?

How do i fix them in?

How big should they be for the best sound?

sorry bout all da qestions but i want to get it right

cheers

Jon

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Id use 3/4 inch thick mdf for the box. Its best to use screws and glue to fix it together, you should also go round the inside of the box and run some sealant along all the joins to make sure its airtight. Also make sure you fill the box with some wadding (which is basically like pillow stuffing) so that the sound from your subs doesnt reverberate around the box.

If you make yourself a false floor for your boot then you can screw the sub boxes (and your amp) to that which means they wont move around and makes them less easy to nick.

Finally, ask the place your buying the sub from what the best sized box is. Alternatively look on the sub packaging and it should recommend the best dimensions.

The other option is to just buy the box ready made and carpeted for about £30 and save yourself the hassle.

Rick

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Depends how confident you are with a circular saw!!! It would work out slightly cheaper to do the box yourself, but you need to be spot on with your cuts and your measuring or else you could f**k it right up.

Rick

is it best to have the subs at either side of boot facing each other or in the middle facing out the boot?

dont use sealant in the box get some P40 and fibre line it, it will souns better and be so much stronger, the wadding will effectivley trick the sub into thinking it is in a bigger enclosure,

Tom

just in built a sub box, i worked out the size of all the panels then used BnQs free cutting service so i only needed to screw and glue it + cut the hole for the speaker and speaker terminals