ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subnautica

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Surprised there's no thread about this already - having been in alpha and beta release for quite some time.

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/

Essentially its a survival game - which traditionally, I'm a little wary of. The frustrations of trying to do XYZ while the issues of ABC are still kicking you in the nads every 5.2 minutes - simply doesn't appeal to me.

However, they have struck a decent balance with this. It appears that you're on a scientific research spaceship that starts with a terminal decline into a planet's atmosphere. The planet is water-world and you bail out in an escape pod that lands in the sea and then becomes your sole floating refuge.

Inside it are the basics. A fair bit of equipment is damaged from the landing. There is a small fabricator device on the wall, a med-kit and some food and water supplies. There's a ladder to the top hatch and a latch on the floor to enter the water directly. You appear to be wearing some basic survival suit.... and that's it.

It's a strangely compelling experience. Complete with day and night cycles, it's a little eerie sat atop your capsule as the night falls. Different plants and creatures inhabit the water beneath you - along with masses of debris from the death thralls of the mothership and plenty of natural resources. Many of the latter are near geological danger zones of thermal vents and volcanic fissures - enticing you with that risk/reward paradox.

You'll find that at the start, you're making several short ventures out from your pod and back again. But quickly, you'll be heading out further and for longer. In the 90 minutes or so that I've been playing it, I've already fabricated a scanning tool, a larger oxygen tank, a pair of flippers to improve my swimming ability - and a survival knife. I've even crafted a floating storage box, which allows me to store items and resources, without having to traverse all the way back to the pod to offload them.

It's a clever game and a definite time-sapper. Certainly one I'd recommend - especially if you have VR kit, which the developers have actively pushed as a feature.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
That'll be terrible, well, it will for PlayStation users if EA sell to Microsoft.

They just want more exclusive titles from what I've read and EA are one of a few studios that Microsoft are looking at taking over.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I bet the monopoly & mergers lot get involved with that. Combined, they would be a serious software juggernaut and as Aaron says, it will be bad times for the Sony brigade.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've been tempted to get this game on the Xbox for a while now. Sounds like it's worth a go! :up:
From what they were saying, the XBox version is pretty much up to date with the PC game now.

I think it's got a wide target market - kids can play it without the usual FPS violence and I'd say that even non-gamers will see the appeal.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Another half hour on this last night. Found my first land mass and now have access to more minerals and resources. Some weird structure off into the distance too.

This game is a destroyer of time....

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Another half hour on this last night. Found my first land mass and now have access to more minerals and resources. Some weird structure off into the distance too.

This game is a destroyer of time....

The story in the game really is very good.

You’ve not even scratched the surface yet

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
My brother kept banging on about this. Apparently, much like this thread is leading me to believe, it's a lot of fun.

And then there is this:
https://www.pcgamer.com/subnautica-review/
To put these negatives in context, though, I have spent nearly 50 hours on my current playthrough and my total playtime is over 120 hours. I am actually still playing (although I did indeed rage quite twice because of the vehicular issues). I have more than 2,000 screenshots of the beautiful world and its strange creatures, and now that the review is over I can go back to meandering at my own pace. It is, without doubt, my favourite game of the last five years.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Goliath I
Downloaded the 60 min trial for this earlier (Xbox One), really intrigued. Got as far as a scanner, bigger water tank and that was about it! (I played the mode where you had Oxygen and could get hurt, but didn't need to eat and drink)

It looks great and was really fun from the hour I played, but I'm worried it may get a bit samey and my interest will wane after a while. How quickly does it seem to peak? Or is it one of those games that seems to have something new around the corner every step of the way?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Downloaded the 60 min trial for this earlier (Xbox One), really intrigued. Got as far as a scanner, bigger water tank and that was about it! (I played the mode where you had Oxygen and could get hurt, but didn't need to eat and drink)

It looks great and was really fun from the hour I played, but I'm worried it may get a bit samey and my interest will wane after a while. How quickly does it seem to peak? Or is it one of those games that seems to have something new around the corner every step of the way?
I was told to go straight for the survival mode to get more from the game. As annoying as it can be at times, food and water does add to the experience.

I put another couple of hours in today and the game simply keeps unfolding with new finds, storylines and a need to explore. Three times my character blacked out just before breaking the surface, but not enough that I drowned!

At one point, I headed straight down to the marker location of another pod. It was quite eerie plunging into the dark like that - waiting for the sea bed to appear.

A surreal game - but my clear favourite of 2018 already.

Goliath I
I've taken the plunge (see what I did there). Also restarted in survival as it didn't seem to save from the trial anyway, hoping the eating and drinking gets a bit easier/relaxed as it gets on.

Ploughed a few hours into it earlier but not got very far, but its really good so far.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
20180205221613_1.jpg
20180205221647_1.jpg
20180205222219_1.jpg
20180205222244_1.jpg
Started survival on Friday...

I've been busy.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Had the flu, I rinsed it lol. Haven't played much since going back to work. There's not much of a learning curve, just need to explore to find the materials. I don't like they've made it so that you can literally just keep going into the abyss and there's nothing there. Basically the edge of the map. I want to reach the bottom! :D

Haven't built the Cyclops yet, which is the proper sub.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Had the flu, I rinsed it lol. Haven't played much since going back to work. There's not much of a learning curve, just need to explore to find the materials. I don't like they've made it so that you can literally just keep going into the abyss and there's nothing there. Basically the edge of the map. I want to reach the bottom! :smiley:

Haven't built the Cyclops yet, which is the proper sub.

If you’re in survival and go off into the void then youl come across a few things that may make you turn back

Goliath I
Plowed about 13 hours into this so far, can’t put it down!

Got the Seamoth which just changed the game again, what a nifty little sub! Just awesome manoeuvring that thing through the little cave tunnels, incredibly atmospheric.

I can make those big tubes you can access and walk around in, but nothing bigger (like large the large rooms in the pic above)? Do I have to search and scan or do you unlock them as you progress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Plowed about 13 hours into this so far, can’t put it down!

Got the Seamoth which just changed the game again, what a nifty little sub! Just awesome manoeuvring that thing through the little cave tunnels, incredibly atmospheric.

I can make those big tubes you can access and walk around in, but nothing bigger (like large the large rooms in the pic above)? Do I have to search and scan or do you unlock them as you progress?

Try and progress the story, it will take you places where you can scan stuff- and more

Goliath I
Cracked on with the story and got some good stuff. Started building a little base and no sooner had I got power to it, the hull gave way and started flooding, obviously lol Now got to venture about for lithium to reinforce it.

I’m off work at the moment and it is pretty much taking up all my time.

Goliath I
Just built the Cyclops. Oh my. I've never had a smile so big a game while boarding that bad boy! I can take my Seamoth with me too!

Goliath I
The Cyclops is awesome, even carries your little Seamoth! And you can use the Habitat tool in there, which means you can very well journey for however long you like and not have to rush back to your base for food, water, recharge batteries etc...

One tip I'd give is when you get the radio messages and go to check out the coordinates etc... Check EVERYWHERE! I missed so much stuff the first time around I ended up going back and finding loads of stuff I'd missed.
Like a glove...
DV1lMYHWAAAyNDP.jpg:large

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The Cyclops is awesome, even carries your little Seamoth! And you can use the Habitat tool in there, which means you can very well journey for however long you like and not have to rush back to your base for food, water, recharge batteries etc...

One tip I'd give is when you get the radio messages and go to check out the coordinates etc... Check EVERYWHERE! I missed so much stuff the first time around I ended up going back and finding loads of stuff I'd missed.
Like a glove...
DV1lMYHWAAAyNDP.jpg:large
Lol - you're SO far ahead of me! :smile:

Goliath I
Lol - you're SO far ahead of me! :smile:
Yeah, I've been off work so this has kept me busy lol.
No idea how far into the story I am. At the moment I've just got my scanner room packed up and am going around unloading it here and there to harvest materials onto my cyclops and then back to my base. Everytime I think theres nothing more to find, something else comes along!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I've been off work so this has kept me busy lol.
No idea how far into the story I am. At the moment I've just got my scanner room packed up and am going around unloading it here and there to harvest materials onto my cyclops and then back to my base. Everytime I think theres nothing more to find, something else comes along!

What’s the deepest you’ve gone depth wise and I’ll be able to tell you lol