ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Super unleaded

My Clio 182 should use 98ron SUL, but the nearest place to buy it is around 40 miles round trip. Locally I can get the BP version, but that is a)only 97ron, b)99.6p/litre and c)no better than regular unleaded, unlike optimax. Am I stuffed, or is there an additive that will work?

BP Ultimate is fine!!

The actual Octane levels between 97 and 98 are often identical.

Just stay away from that 95 stuff, makes your car idle funny and lumpy :(

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

To be honest mate nnormal 95-96ron stuff is fine. Some will say they find there car runs better on it, but ive tried both and really cant say i notice a difference.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Well several of my friends have 2ltrs and say its made no difference. Will try it on my 182 when i get it in 3 months, but personally im yet to be convinced.

The car runs no problem at all on regular unleaded. Optimax seems better, in that the car is very slightly faster accellerating. 97 ron is the same as 95 as far as I can tell. Is the ECU self adjusting for SUL, or do you need to tell it which fuel it is running on?

Quote: Originally posted by eldar on 21 July 2005

The car runs no problem at all on regular unleaded. Optimax seems better, in that the car is very slightly faster accellerating. 97 ron is the same as 95 as far as I can tell. Is the ECU self adjusting for SUL, or do you need to tell it which fuel it is running on?
The ecu adjust only if Knock etc is detected normal 95 Ron shouldnt knock so there shouldnt be an issue using normal fule.

No one has proven 98 octane to be any quicker ina 172/182 as it just doesnt knock so knocking back the timing does need to occure ie less power.

Ive gone from using 95ron to Tesco SU (97ron) via using Optimax for a few weeks.

IMO, my 2.0 definately idles smoother with 98/97 RON.

I cant notice any performance difference at all.

Economy is definately improved in my car by approx 2-3mpg since I move from 95 to 98/97 RON - either that or the engines getting looser with age (now at 13k, used 98/97RON for past 3k). And thats measuring it over the past 3k miles, not just a few tankfuls.

Ive never used BP fuel cos its so bloody expensive compared to everywhere else where I stay. Plus Optimax was cheaper and is "1 RON" more! Bp Ultimate will be fine though.

Ziel Nurburgring

Optimax is better than 95/97 for:

a) A smoother tick over.

b) Cleaner engine

c) More MPG.

Whether or not there is a perfomance gain is debateable, i find there is defo a difference at 4.5/5k revs using optimax over the 95ron. Esso 97 is the worst of the bunch, i think my car wa nearly puking the stuff back up it was so bad.

Ive only used ultimate once and wasnt that impressed.

For the above 3 reasons i use it.

v6 mk2

not noticed any difference in the v6, i dont bother with the optimaxs or super unleaded, used them both and i cant tell the difference.

Ma bros subaru doesnt idle unless he uses optimax though, i think it depends on the car!!

I will continue to use Optimax...

Renault make no money in suggesting we use optimax in our cars... therefore there must be a valid reason for suggesting it.

I dont know if there is a difference or not... but i shall use what is recomended in my high performance vehicle :)

fat 182

my 182 runs ruff as a badgers arse when cold if i dont use optimax but when its warmed up you cant tell the diffrence

what i have noticed is how clean it burns me and my friend both have 182s i use optimax and he uses tesco 95 and my tail pipes are clean inside and his are all sooted up

daz

Vee dub

My car is 9 years old and I use Optimax since I first got it about 11 months ago.

To be honest I have not really compared it to normal unleaded but I know my friends say their performance cars run alot sharper on optimax.

If it is cleaner for the car, then Im willing to pay the extra to be honest, and increased mpg is always good!

optimax has a better burn and is also cleaner burn and does tend to make a difference on idle. having been in a few with both fuels in , imo that is the only difference . personally i would use the optimax/98 for the above reasons.

I prefer super because it seems to make the engine run quieter, for whatever reason.

I put some of that 99ron tescos stuff in my mums celica and it went from sounding metallic and painful to rev (using 95) to being silent at idle almost and sooo much smoother!

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

U se Sainsburys Super Unleaded 97Ron as only 1-2p a litre dearer than their usual unleaded, get a better acceleration feel when using it and more mpg.

Not worth paying the excess for Optimax IMO as I use Forte additives every 6k and would rather do this than rely on suppsed cleaning properties in fuel.