ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercar Heaven at Zolder

Turbos.
My next race is at Zolder and, as i've never been before there, i booked myself on an 'International Trackday' there yesterday to a get a feel for it. What i didn't know was this was simply a test day, for a genuine track day you have to go through the usual UK and foreign track day companies.

So the car lasted more than a few laps, Turkish did some homework for me and i had fitted some new pads and cooling ducts. They did the trick as the brakes lasted all day with no grumbles, they just squeak a bit when cold. Anyway, less about my car, more about the eclectic mix of machinery there...

Img_0884.jpg

Img_0890.jpg

These guys were doing a promotional shoot with their new cars; the new 5 Series is massive! Their Z4 was a diesel...

Img_0885-1.jpg

Some gorgeous expensive classics were in attendance, mixed with latest GT3 cars. There was also a Radical going round, an F3 car and diesel Golfs!

Img_0886.jpg

Img_0891.jpg

Img_0893.jpg

Img_0894.jpg

This 2-11 competes in the Dutch Supercar Challenge which i may be doing next year. The rear wing and diffuser were ridiculous!

Img_0892.jpg

This was a pleasure to behold, and was crazy loud (it was an unsilenced day so my ears are still recovering...)

Img_0895.jpg

Img_0897.jpg

Img_0898.jpg

Img_0903.jpg

This Pantera had 600bhp! It is supposed to have historic papers, but they must be relaxed in Belgium as the thing was basically all carbon and had odd additions like Porsche GT3 seats.

Img_0900.jpg

£400ks worth of Porsche RSR was also lurking...

Img_0896.jpg

Img_0904.jpg

Img_0902.jpg

Thoughts on Zolder? Well worth doing; it is a short circuit so easy to learn, like the old Snetterton. They do morning and afternoon sessions if you don't fancy a full day, and being down the road from Spa it would be a great trip to do both in quick succession. The circuit has a typical European feel (dodgy music, moustaches, chips with mayonnaise), but the facilities are great and there is even a restaurant and hotel directly next to the pitlane.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I do envy you sometimes Rob. I wonder, seeing as we have the same first name, went to the same school and have the same colour hair, if I could get away with knocking you on the head and just taking your place?

We need a meet soon, like really.

Looks like a great day, I'm considering cooling ducts for the z4, as the brakes faded faster than a red vauxhall corsa.

That Pantera is awesome, it's quite Coutach like, and that RSR.... omg

Turbos.
FLOL!

I would change the pads and fluid first as imagine that is all you need. A fairly tame track pad will hopefully mean your discs won't get eaten. It is amazing how much heat a road car generates though with all the weight it has to slow down; in the end i had to take my tyre pressures down until the car said i had flat tyres!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
LOL!

It had relatively new brakes by Laura, but no fluid.

I've got slightly rusted connections on the rear lines so we didn't change them for the braided's like the fronts, as we didn't want to break something and not be able to track it (last minute, you know).

It's a very common complaint on the z4 though, and a guy has designed some easily removeable duct to fit for track days that you build up yourself, so I was going to give it a go. How did you find the car on the track? Decent?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Jesus. Some amazing machinery there. Love the leather straps on the back of the Ferrari :eek:

Turbos.
LOL!

It had relatively new brakes by Laura, but no fluid.

I've got slightly rusted connections on the rear lines so we didn't change them for the braided's like the fronts, as we didn't want to break something and not be able to track it (last minute, you know).

It's a very common complaint on the z4 though, and a guy has designed some easily removeable duct to fit for track days that you build up yourself, so I was going to give it a go. How did you find the car on the track? Decent?

I didn't push hard because i was concious i had to drive it back! It was much better with air out of the tyres, and (despite what the manual says), you can turn the ESP off completely and it was more playful. Overall though, it is a bit like the Golf in that it is very competent but not that much fun. It would be good to take it on a wide, open track to see what it can really do one day though.

Cupra
Nice pics. I like Zolder as a circuit.
The Dutch Supercar challenge is great fun to watch. Quite a wide range of cars in it. Would you be in your Lotus or in something else?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Jesus. Some amazing machinery there. Love the leather straps on the back of the Ferrari :eek:

Do you know how I know you're gay?

I didn't push hard because i was concious i had to drive it back! It was much better with air out of the tyres, and (despite what the manual says), you can turn the ESP off completely and it was more playful. Overall though, it is a bit like the Golf in that it is very competent but not that much fun. It would be good to take it on a wide, open track to see what it can really do one day though.

I expected a more positive review, TBH I bet if it were a more wide open track, I'd have got one. Having to drive it home (and having it be worth such a wedge) are always going to be massively limiting I guess. Even in z4 I was quite scared of binning it, I can't imagine how you felt.

You cannot, however, compare that to a golf ffs.

Are you keeping both? I assumed the golf was it's replacement?

Nice pics. I like Zolder as a circuit.
The Dutch Supercar challenge is great fun to watch. Quite a wide range of cars in it. Would you be in your Lotus or in something else?

NSX I'd imagine?

Turbos.
Ultimately the Turbo isn't a track car Rob, doesn't need to be with the GT2 and GT3 around TBF.

The intention was my dad was going to use the car and then part exchange it for a Gen 2 Turbo S, but that just hasn't happened as he's been busy. However, because we both are named as users, it is now set as a pool car which acts as a tax break (no liability) - it doesn't cost me anything to run it.

Yes, hopefully DSC will be an opportunity for the NSX to shine! They have good grids and it is full of crazy Dutch guys so looks a lot of fun.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ultimately the Turbo isn't a track car Rob, doesn't need to be with the GT2 and GT3 around TBF.

The intention was my dad was going to use the car and then part exchange it for a Gen 2 Turbo S, but that just hasn't happened as he's been busy. However, because we both are named as users, it is now set as a pool car which acts as a tax break (no liability) - it doesn't cost me anything to run it.

Yes, hopefully DSC will be an opportunity for the NSX to shine! They have good grids and it is full of crazy Dutch guys so looks a lot of fun.

You really do take the piss sometimes. Free Porsche? Yeah, go on then.

Know what you mean with it not being a track car, but comparing to the golf was a low blow and you know it.

172, Tiguan
Dave, Chris, Tom and I had a roadtrip to Zolder one rainy day. Fantastic place and the coffee is good!

Living the dream Robert. Carry on.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Really great mix of cars and nice pictures. Something about the Z4 (with the V8 in) appeals to me. What filter/app have you run those pics through?

Turbos.
Good ol' Instagram!

Being in a quiet road car, it was a great experience being on track as the Z4 sped past me with the unsilenced V8 at full roar, disappearing into the distance. It felt like i was watching a Gran Turismo trailer at the IMAX in 3D with speakers around my ears; just phenomenal.