ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Surely these tyres must have been an MOT failure???

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not 100% sure of the requirements of an MOT, but surely to god, Reno Manchester would have mentioned something about the state of my front tyres?

The inside tread literally doesn't exist and the rubber itself is straight down to the indicator marks...

Image035.jpg

It has two weeks since the first MOT on my 182. This week, I'd felt the front end to be a bit 'wallowy' - as if it was nowhere near as planted as it should be. I checked the pressures again, and the driver's front was down to 23psi, so I thought I may have a puncture.

Pumped it up at the petrol station and then took the actual wheel off to check for signs of a puncture, when I got the chance. Low and behold, the tyre is totally shot. The nearside front is the same too.

Short of taking it on track - there's no way that tyre wear could happen like this in the space of two weeks. Why on earth was nothing mentioned to me? Or am I wrong in thinking that tyres are checked as part of the MOT? :dapprove:

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Your tracking looks well off mate.

Aye - it sure is, but they have had some serious mileage out of them - nearly 40k! - so they have done their job. :)

I'm just baffled as to why nothing was mentioned - even just a off-hand comment like "I think your fronts need replacing, m8" - or something from the staff at Reno Manchester.

I know 'technically' it's the responsibility of the driver to check things like this, but I tend to rely on what garages do or don't say for the most part. :(

D.

Nippy white cup
I'll bell you tomoz m8...Nic has been rushed off her feet so didn't have a chance to find out but tbh I don't think they wil be much if any cheaper than other places like mytyres etc

Chris

White R26/Stripped Valver
Their always lenient on tyres, but the fact they didn't advise you especially when in that state is beyond me lol

Maz

LY 200
Bloody hell D, that is bad, you have been lucky you wern't stopped or even worse (god forbid) had an accident with them !!

Can't believe they passed that. As said above it's around 1.(something)mm over 3/4 which that doesn't seem to me to be (apart from the main grooves). Even if it was a passer, that should've on the advisory sheet. Surprised you've not seen them like that before though!

I might start taking my car there for it's MOT lol. Although, having said that mine went through the MOT, without a hitch :D.

RB 182
They're a pass, but should have been an advisory

Should have given you a healthcheck sheet of some sort?

Just a thought, but mebbe go back and ask to speak to the service manager? Really act annoyed, but not rude, mebbe say you skidded and nearly crashed and you brought it to them for its MOT because you wanted it looked after 'by the best' blah blah

I know my service manager at work would be replacing them free of charge as a goodwill gesture!!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'll bell you tomoz m8...Nic has been rushed off her feet so didn't have a chance to find out but tbh I don't think they wil be much if any cheaper than other places like mytyres etc

Chris

Cheers Chris - no worries. If Nic does get the chance, I'd appreciate it. :)

40k!? ...i'm shocked; and disappointed fella! ;)

cheers for that info too!

Hehehe! There are some benefits in me not deleting my PM's often! ;)

40K is good milage
'tis a good mileage, but they we're up front for all of that time. I chewed up the front set of originals by the time it had it's 24k service at RenTech and I got a polite biatch slap of Mike to tell me the tyres were kanckered. :cool:

Bloody hell D, that is bad, you have been lucky you wern't stopped or even worse (god forbid) had an accident with them !!

I was thinking the same, Maz. Especially this time of year where they are keen on spot checks for drink-driving. All it takes is a copper who's overtly keen on checks - and that's a definite 6-pointer there. Either that, or like you say - and accident with them like that and my insurance company would probably wipe their hands of me. :(

Can't believe they passed that. As said above it's around 1.(something)mm over 3/4 which that doesn't seem to me to be (apart from the main grooves). Even if it was a passer, that should've on the advisory sheet. Surprised you've not seen them like that before though!

I might start taking my car there for it's MOT lol. Although, having said that mine went through the MOT, without a hitch :D.

They're a pass, but should have been an advisory

Should have given you a healthcheck sheet of some sort?

Just a thought, but mebbe go back and ask to speak to the service manager? Really act annoyed, but not rude, mebbe say you skidded and nearly crashed and you brought it to them for its MOT because you wanted it looked after 'by the best' blah blah

I know my service manager at work would be replacing them free of charge as a goodwill gesture!!

Just checked all the paperwork gubbins that I got back. Nothing, not a hint of the tyres being dodgy. I'll definitely give Reno Manchester a call tomorrow - if for nothing more than to warn them of the potential risk that they are passing the cars with.

Cheers all. :approve:

D.

Maz

LY 200
Knowing Renault Manchester they wont be bothered Darren, maybe worth menioning it to RUK just for their info, because at the end of the day its their dealerships etc that carry the Renault name and like has been said they must have noticed so why no advice ?