ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Surprise Surprise

I took out a 172 Saturday, as I fancied a go against one and the chance was there! Anyway the outcome was VTS 1, CLIO 172 0.

I embarassed him on the corners, and admitly the 172 had abit more grunt on the staights but I was quicker into and out of the bends that he struggled to keep up!

This was FUN and interesting at the same time, as I thought it would have been abit more of a challenge, but surprise surprise I mashed it.

Guess I stick to ye old faithful VTS instead of getting a 172 then! Thats for certain....

With a few power mods to my VTS and Ill have a go with any 172 anyday, even the CUPs...

Dont doubt that you did have the legs on a 172 on this occasion.

But so too could a well-driven car like the 205 GTi 1.9, Clio 16v, Williams, GT Turbo or 106 GTi.

Remember that you had more to prove than the 172 and probably drove accordingly.

Im sure youd be welcome to participate in a 1/4 mile shoot out or track day with Cliosport.

I doubt a well-matched driver in a 172 would have real problems dispatching a VTS.

hi VTS_dude. ive raced vtss, in a straight they are still there up until 60 then they drift away. in a straight line a 172 would leave you. You admit this, but i fail to understand hoe you could overcome this fairly big handicap on corners. Unless you are a very good driver or the 172 is sh*t. Basically VTS may handle better, but never to a level where it would leave a 172. Had a race with a vtr before suspension mods and through every corner he would get closer to me before i caned him on the straights so saxos can handle!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

yeah my 1.2 would kill your vts!! ;)

but anyway i bet the 172 driver was thinking "oh great another vts, i will give it half throttle just to get rid of him"

oh and whats the thread about its got nothing to do with cilla?

why does everyone have to claim "my car is faster than ........"

thats one of the major problems with the SSC, too many people claiming their car is better than someone elses - to prove this go to a track day and then see whos is quicker - usually they are a good mix of straights and twisties (especially Cadwell)

remember - racing on the roads is illegal

honestly officer, ive never done it before

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 18 November 2002

remember - racing on the roads is illegal

honestly officer, ive never done it before :eek:

pishhhh yeah

the 1.2 16v is like a F1 unit

you cant help but race ;)

hahahaha citroen.... all I think about is gas rear suspension that rises when you start it.... I agree with Ben H it would never handle that much better that you would leave it for dust. They not cornering fast enough in the 172 probably scared...

Why is it that we get so many Saxo people on these boards? Where are the Golf, SEAT, GT Turbo people? Or is that they are just happy to keep their "victories" to themselves and their friends - and dont stir up a wasps nest like this?

Hey road races are the best use more skill in them as your looking for that car which might pull out or the person that might cross.... cant beat the adrenilin!!!!

tomclio - not raced in the 1.2 yet, too new to thrash (120 miles on the clock) dont want to destroy the engine (just yet) -- but in my previous cars i couldnt help but race

the saxo is one of the best (not the best) handling hatches around (fact) unless the back end is not 10mm higher than the front, in which case it becomes a tail happy psycho

in the twisties i think the VTS would have the edge over the 172, but on the straights, the VTS wouldnt have a chance

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

On paper the VTS would be destroyed by a 172, they are not really in the same league, the 172 was probably saving itself for a CTR or WRX.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

have you driven one? its rubbish!! no wonder they are always racing people it must be boring driving about normally!!!

I upset some bloke in a 406 coupe this morning!! How dare someone in a 1.2 Civic (Courtesy Car) dare race him!! Could not resist and when he got caught in traffic and then was behind his face was a picture. ;)

Dont really race:eek: but am I sure people would agree there is some please in embarrasing someone in a car which costs 10K+ more. I would take it as a compliment as it seems that the clios are the car to beat that is why people keep making the comparison.

Where are those BMW and AUDI drivers gone!!! :devilish:

tomclio - if the "have you driven one was aimed at me - i have owned a saxo, and although in normal traffic they are dull cars to drive, when you open them out on country lanes they do come into there own

What a big bag of poo - at least theres one more VTS on the roads to kill anyway.......172 driver obviously wasnt interested then............

Quote: Originally posted by KeithO on 18 November 2002

Dont really race:eek: but am I sure people would agree there is some please in embarrasing someone in a car which costs 10K+ more. I
Exactly, this is the point all you 172ers miss, you can have your £15k 172 and think you are the business, show it to a well driven £5k 106gti/vts and theyll give you a go for your money. I would have thought you 172ers have MORE to prove seeing as you have the MOST expensive car and MORE on paper, surely youd want to prove it was money well spent.:eek:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

nope 172 owners know already otheerwise they would have bought a 2nd hand saxo\106\wastebin

why would they prove it?

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 18 November 2002

Dont doubt that you did have the legs on a 172 on this occasion.

But so too could a well-driven car like the 205 GTi 1.9, Clio 16v, Williams, GT Turbo or 106 GTi.

Remember that you had more to prove than the 172 and probably drove accordingly.

Im sure youd be welcome to participate in a 1/4 mile shoot out or track day with Cliosport.

I doubt a well-matched driver in a 172 would have real problems dispatching a VTS.
Well said there pal...I admit that on paper the 172s have the advantage, but thats only on paper!

As you say any of the cars you listed have the capability to keep up and take and 172...yet they cost a fraction of the price.

Anyway maybe it is the fact that I have the ability and confidence to really push my VTS hard, and know that Ill see another day, but so far my SAX has managed to get one up on a 172, and so put a smile on my face.

Admitely it is difficult to determine if the 172 was giving it all, but he did try hard, and it showed (in my rear view mirror!). The 172 really struggled on the bends, and made up a little ground on the straights.

One thing that was certain is the the 172 is not untouchable...and was certainly out classed...come to think about it I reckon it was my driving that shined though ;):):D:D:cool:

It is understandable that people are protetive of their cars but you can rate the merrits of all the cars mentioned. It is natural when new models come out with more power/gismos that people want these!! That is not to say your previous car is now so poor, no just more choice (which is always good).

I would be interested to see how people have upgraded from a VTS/VTR to a 172, would you then say it a bad car? No or you would have not bought the VTR/VTS to start with. I went from a 106GTI which I absolutley loved to the 172. I then moved to the CTR but I still rate both cars for their abilities. In my experience the 172 was definatley quicker than the 106 but the 106 was deffinatley more chuckable (in my limited driving exprerience). Currently I love the CTR and I am very happy...

I am driving a 1.2 Civic at the moment, give me a VTS/172 anyday!!;)

Just browsing the boards and was told by my pals on the Saxo forum to pop in here and give my honest opinion on the Renault 172.

I have a bog standard VTS ( yes its blue ) I have come across tons of these 172s even the new ugly front ones. Sorry personal taste no offence meant. I must put my hands up and admit I wuz toasted every time. I reckon I am a well good driver but saying that the 172 just blows me away totally.

Thats life I guess, I always give the guys ( oh and one girl too ) the thumbs up so no hard feelins. Might think about one of these Renaults but my VTS is worthless on trade in bugger! I need a better job.

Fair comment. Remember that the 172 is also a fair bit cheaper than many other so-called performance cars and will give them hell too.

There may be £3-5k between a VTS and a 172 (and much more between a new 172 and an older 205 GTi/16v etc). But theres still a good amount of dosh between a 172 and other similarly-fast cars like the new Scoob, Golf V5, 330i and so on. You pay for what you get: the 172 is a bit bigger and has more toys like air-con than the VTS.

I was going to say that the VTS wins the bhp per buck competition...but surely at £12k that title is reserved for the 172 Cup!