ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Surprise Surprise

Quote: Originally posted by SaxMan on 18 November 2002

Just browsing the boards and was told by my pals on the Saxo forum to pop in here and give my honest opinion on the Renault 172.

I have a bog standard VTS ( yes its blue ) I have come across tons of these 172s even the new ugly front ones. Sorry personal taste no offence meant. I must put my hands up and admit I wuz toasted every time. I reckon I am a well good driver but saying that the 172 just blows me away totally.

Thats life I guess, I always give the guys ( oh and one girl too ) the thumbs up so no hard feelins. Might think about one of these Renaults but my VTS is worthless on trade in bugger! I need a better job.
This is a complete imposter. I have never heard anyone talk about their VTS like this. Some little boy thinks he has to now try and prove the VTS is unworthy...TW@T

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Mr B Bash

if you are so anti 172/clios why did you:

Buy a 172
Register for a clio forum
Sell your saxo
eh?

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 18 November 2002

Fair comment. Remember that the 172 is also a fair bit cheaper than many other so-called performance cars and will give them hell too.

There may be £3-5k between a VTS and a 172 (and much more between a new 172 and an older 205 GTi/16v etc). But theres still a good amount of dosh between a 172 and other similarly-fast cars like the new Scoob, Golf V5, 330i and so on. You pay for what you get: the 172 is a bit bigger and has more toys like air-con than the VTS.

I was going to say that the VTS wins the bhp per buck competition...but surely at £12k that title is reserved for the 172 Cup!
VTS £9k new with a years free insurance, which makes the cup (£13k new) 40% more.....better, I dont think so, oh plus a lot more on insurance and petrol and tyres

I aint no imposter mate. I give credit where its due thats all. My VTS gets me about the same as your did ( why did you sell it? )

I stuck with mine for all its flaws. Ive had it for nearly 2 yrs now and have fun up against lesser cars than the 172. I dont prentend my motor is anythin that it aint.

Quote: Originally posted by tomclio1.2 on 18 November 2002

Mr B Bash

if you are so anti 172/clios why did you:

Buy a 172
Register for a clio forum
Sell your saxo
eh?

Bought the 172 after visiting this forum, on paper and what you guys "think" and I had £10k burning a whole in my pocket. Some of us (who are old enough) to afford houses have made an absolute packet in the last 3 years, especially seeing as I have 2 in one of the most expensive places in the country.

I came initially to the forum to find out if mine had a fault or whether it is supposed to be a "bit lively".

I havent sold my 106GTI, I actually use it more than the 172, as its far more fun to drive.

I did have a VTS though, I sold that for the 106GTI to see if they were similar cars, they are.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

its ok mate

look bash id continue this with ssc they actually like saxos :)o)

its ok mate

look bash id continue this with ssc they actually like saxos :)o)
Yes well most of us over at ssc do. Nice tidy forum btw Top marks to your admin team.

Ill leave yas in peace guys / girls behave yerselves.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Big Bash on 18 November 2002

Bought the 172 after visiting this forum, on paper and what you guys "think" and I had £10k burning a whole in my pocket. Some of us (who are old enough) to afford houses have made an absolute packet in the last 3 years, especially seeing as I have 2 in one of the most expensive places in the country.

I came initially to the forum to find out if mine had a fault or whether it is supposed to be a "bit lively".

I havent sold my 106GTI, I actually use it more than the 172, as its far more fun to drive.

I did have a VTS though, I sold that for the 106GTI to see if they were similar cars, they are.

Test drive? Sounds like you bought a car because other people told you it was good. Mate one mans biscuit is another mans twix. you should never of bought it without a lengthy test.

as for the 106\saxo thing they are the same!!! (few minor diffs but thats it)

oh and i wasnt dissing ssc they are a great bunch

Id of left this quite frank "childish forum" a long time ago, but have been so ammused with your complete lack of respect for other hot hatches around, like true schoolboy gangs, you think you are the business in your 172s .

I think there are practically no 172ers whove upgraded from a 106/vts, if youd have had a 106 GTI before your 172 youd respect the fact your 172 is not a whole lot better. But hey Id be a bit upset if someone in there £5k 106GTI was suggesting my £15k 172 wasnt any better, Im the same, I was so dissapointed when my 172 just didnt live up to all its hype.

Good job I didnt buy it new like some of you lot, Id be a bit upset losing £5-6k in 6 months, I cant sell my 172 for love nor money, great car and all that.

Hmmm interesting SAX owner...hey SAXMAN whats your username in the SSC?

Got any Pics of your SAX then...if you really are a SAX owner you should know that the SAX handling is TOP.

TOP TIP: The GAS is the pedal on the right...

VTS_DUDE as you state in the above post, although the Sax handling is top, there is also a point where the car actually develops a mind of its own if pushed hard

anyone who has had the displeasure of losing the back end of the sax in the wet will tell you the same - Lift-off oversteer is not a good thing (can look quite impressive if caught early)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Id of left this quite frank "childish forum" a long time ago, but have been so ammused with your complete lack of respect for other hot hatches around, like true schoolboy gangs, you think you are the business in your 172s .

Mate its a http://www.cliosport.net/images/cliosportforum.gif forum you really think we are gonna say "yeah saxos are faster than 172s"

We are bound to be biased thats the way it is.

This applies to any car...even your 1.2 16ver.

No car in the world if pushed beyond its limits will keep you on the road...but that is pretty obvious, to MOST!

What you got to take into consideration is the limits, some have more than others...NO disrespect on yours there pal!

Mate its a http://www.cliosport.net/images/cliosportforum.gif forum you really think we are gonna say "yeah saxos are faster than 172s"

So you lot admit that you are biased, fair enough, but what would you all say if I had a EVO 6 and claimed that I can MASH a 172 in a staight line, or corner or anything for that matter!

WOULD YOU ALL COME BACK SAYING "MY 172 WILL DESTROY IT..." I dont think so!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

mate my 1.2 is a one off

it rivals ferraris mate not saxos ;)

i love lift off oversteer!!!

Go Fred!!!

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by VTS_DUDE on 18 November 2002

Hmmm interesting SAX owner...hey SAXMAN whats your username in the SSC?

Got any Pics of your SAX then...if you really are a SAX owner you should know that the SAX handling is TOP.

TOP TIP: The GAS is the pedal on the right...
Hmmm I smell a rat somewhere but I guess hes honest an honest rat.

Agree with big bash on saxo vts handling being better than a 172 on the road(still own one now but hardly use it), but only just, the 172 corners 90% as good but will always be a car length or so worse off on narrow roads, but when you hit the straight the 172 just pulls right back and goes past at the top end of the rev range and continues to pull away a little until the next bend is reached when the saxo pulls right back etc... However put both cars on the track, where the wider area suits the 172 better than the road, its as good as vts into the corners but gets better entry speed and leaves the vts easier in the straights as a result(much personnal experience of this).

However big bash, many 172 owners pay 11-11.5k new for their 172s(on import)and rightly so, not 15k, and as a vts owner you should know that they can be very unreliable and in worst case scenarios cost a lot of money to keep on the road, when out of warranty, and citroen main dealers charge more than anyone for work done. The 172 does not really suffer from these problems as much and the dealers are cheaper, so it is actually(the 172) very cheap to maintain.

Bye Bye

Quote: Originally posted by weyland on 18 November 2002

However big bash, many 172 owners pay 11-11.5k new for their 172s(on import)and rightly so, not 15k, and as a vts owner you should know that they can be very unreliable and in worst case scenarios cost a lot of money to keep on the road, when out of warranty, and citroen main dealers charge more than anyone for work done. The 172 does not really suffer from these problems as much and the dealers are cheaper, so it is actually(the 172) very cheap to maintain.

Bye Bye
MMMMMMMMMMMMM, my 172 (6k miles) has had a new gearbox, new exhaust, new fog light oh and needed undersealing (properly), great build quality. And for the 100th time I HAVE A 106GTI, which in 3 years has NEVER been in for anything bar service items. Oh and by the way my last service (MAIN PEUGEOT DEALER) cost £69.

So you lot admit that you are biased, fair enough, but what would you all say if I had a EVO 6 and claimed that I can MASH a 172 in a staight line, or corner or anything for that matter!

WOULD YOU ALL COME BACK SAYING "MY 172 WILL DESTROY IT..." I dont think so!

The difference is that we would admit to getting caned by an EVO and wouldnt try to claim we matched it for pace!

WEYLAND sounds like a man of experience as he is a 360er.

Let that be a statement that the VTS will out handle a 172, and track or road...it doesnt matter. The VTS will stick to the road that little bit better and this has been proved and agreed by owners who have had both VTS and 172.

Id say that the majority of 172ers are speaking from paper stats and not from experience...

Without a doubt the 172 has more grunt, but you get an experienced driver in a VTS you are going to be hard pushed to embarass them.

did you pay for any of it?
Of course not something called a warranty sorted it out, although that isnt the point, but build quality was the question, not who paid for it.

Clio v6

Anyone here interested in organising or attending a track day or meet against 172ers? Ive been on a 172 forum and they are all going on about how great they are. ( TELLING THE TRUTH ) what so wrong with that?

ITs been suggested that the VTS is a bag of sheeee-ite according to the 172ers and so a day like this is probably the only way to prove it! ( SUGGESTED ? ) Dont tell us what we already know.

OH YEAH a member of SSC (SAXMAN) has jumped on the 172 forum claiming that the VTS is indeed sheeee-ite. (HONEST SAXO OWNER AT LAST)

Come on guys its would ba a good day and if there are enough takers (and Im sure that there will be) it would be quite cheap to organise too. ( LMAO )
Just for your amusment check out some of there threads... ( THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE REACHED READING AGE )

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_forum_topics.asp?ForumID=2http://forum.cliosport.net/display_forum_topics.asp?ForumID=2

Can your Mummy knit VTS DUDE ?

Clio v6

"but you get an experienced driver in a VTS you are going to be hard pushed to embarass them".
What experienced driver in thier right mind would be in a SAXO ?

Quote: Originally posted by dash on 18 November 2002

Anyone here interested in organising or attending a track day or meet against 172ers? Ive been on a 172 forum and they are all going on about how great they are. ( TELLING THE TRUTH ) what so wrong with that?

ITs been suggested that the VTS is a bag of sheeee-ite according to the 172ers and so a day like this is probably the only way to prove it! ( SUGGESTED ? ) Dont tell us what we already know.

OH YEAH a member of SSC (SAXMAN) has jumped on the 172 forum claiming that the VTS is indeed sheeee-ite. (HONEST SAXO OWNER AT LAST)

Come on guys its would ba a good day and if there are enough takers (and Im sure that there will be) it would be quite cheap to organise too. ( LMAO )
Just for your amusment check out some of there threads... ( THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE REACHED READING AGE )

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_forum_topics.asp?ForumID=2http://forum.cliosport.net/display_forum_topics.asp?ForumID=2

Can your Mummy knit VTS DUDE ?

Just trying to organise a day to show what the 172 is not capable of...

Quote: Originally posted by dash on 18 November 2002

"but you get an experienced driver in a VTS you are going to be hard pushed to embarass them".
What experienced driver in thier right mind would be in a SAXO ?

WEYLAND....Mr 360er for instance...

Explain to me what driver would speand £25k on a CLIO then, when a CUP will show how its done for half the price!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

did you pay for any of it?
Of course not something called a warranty sorted it out, although that isnt the point, but build quality was the question, not who paid for it.

build quality? eh? 10 times better than any PSA rubbish

For the money you spent DASH, I could have a SAXO VTS that would destroy you V6 CLIO...and still have enough left over to buy another 172 CUP

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Explain to me what driver would speand £25k on a CLIO then, when a CUP will show how its done for half the price!

For the money you spent DASH, I could have a SAXO VTS that would destroy you V6 CLIO...and still have enough left over to buy another 172 CUP

mate a V6 is a diffrent kinda car- drive one and find out.

im on the mk2 waiting list cant wait

mate a V6 is a diffrent kinda car- drive one and find out.

im on the mk2 waiting list cant wait
There isnt a waiting list, unless your talking about the one on Mars