ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension - What do I do???

Clio 182
Hi all - I have only just joined as a member and am already after some advice!
I have been reading a lot of whats on cliosport about peoples choices for a suspension change and am a bit stuck about what to do - I have up to about £400 to spend on this so I really want the best set up I can get for the money.

For a 182 non-cup should I go for:
  • Standard shocks and eibach springs
  • 172 CUP shocks and eibach springs
  • Coilovers - looking at KTR or V-Maxx but know nothing about either.
I would like a slight drop but the most important thing to me is the handling.

Any thoughts would be great so I can get back to sleeping at night!

cheers

CBR1000RR Fireblade
what ever you do, dont buy v maxx coilovers. they are very poor, give an uncomfortable ride and are borderline dangerous when cornering / driving hard.

Clio 172 Cup
what ever you do, dont buy v maxx coilovers. they are very poor, give an uncomfortable ride and are borderline dangerous when cornering / driving hard.

Some 2nd hand Quality coilovers would be worth considering for that sort of money. H&Rs, Bilsteins, FKs, etc

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
^ me either.

On a budget ?

Eibachs for now for teh lowz .. then save up for Koni adjustable shocks. Not sure on price TBH but pretty highly rated alternative to coilies IIRC.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
im binning my v maxx and going for koni adjustable's with the koni 30mm springs. should be a massive upgrade from the v maxx

CBR1000RR Fireblade
i do mate, the pictures you sent me in another thread of the spax set up impressed me.

however i dont fancy coilovers again unless you mean the spax 25mm kit?

Clio 182
You guys have got it spot on. What I don't want to do is buy cheap s**t that will ruin an awsome car. I drive it hard (when its all warmed up) so the last thing I want is to create a suspension set up that will spit me off at the first fast corner I come to!
I won't buy second hand - just cos you really don't know whats gone on with them. so for now, eibachs and i'll have a look into the arb too.
cheers once again guys

ITB'd MK1
i do mate, the pictures you sent me in another thread of the spax set up impressed me.

however i dont fancy coilovers again unless you mean the spax 25mm kit?

whole range really, fixed damping shocks, adjustable damping shocks, 25mm springs, spring and damper kits, or 2 different types of coilover kit with damping so nice I've been told it's better than standard by a few people now

CBR1000RR Fireblade
can you get fixed damping shocks for the 182's?

i couldn't find anywhere that sold them, only for the non sports.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
i didnt think they did, because originally the fixxed damping is what i wanted to go for.

Clio 182
Sorted standard dampers, eibach pros are on. Did the front and rear brakes at the same time. Brembo max on front standard on the rear. Feels great. Looking forward to pushing it! Thanks for all your comments.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i went from 5yr old standard dampers and eibachs to brand new genuine dampers with eibachs and it was like a new car, they wernt leaking etc either, just worn!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
id never buy second hand suspension tbh

Lol, seem to remember having seen you mention this previously. What about something fully rebuildable-say like ASTs?

So based on the same logic, you presumably wouldn't bother with the second hand car market either? High rolling FTW...

:)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I would have no issue if it was a decent brand!
In fact my 197 is sitting on some KW's, bought for near half the price of a new set, as new boxed. Win.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Lol, seem to remember having seen you mention this previously. What about something fully rebuildable-say like ASTs?

So based on the same logic, you presumably wouldn't bother with the second hand car market either? High rolling FTW...

:)

I don't buy second hand suspension purely because 9 times out of 10 it's leaking / damaged / bent / corroded.

Unless like your self where by you have bought second hand suspension and had it re conditioned. I would buy second hand suspension and re condition it, I wouldn't buy cheap second hand coilovers or springs and dampers though. Seen Alot of poor condition stuff in the past tbh that people have said "mint condition" when 3 out of the 4 shock absorbers have burst.

clio 172
i have Elbachs on my 172 and its perfect for road, not too stiff but good enough to corner fast! Or where i live perfect for thrashing up the moors ! :p

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I don't buy second hand suspension purely because 9 times out of 10 it's leaking / damaged / bent / corroded.

Unless like your self where by you have bought second hand suspension and had it re conditioned. I would buy second hand suspension and re condition it, I wouldn't buy cheap second hand coilovers or springs and dampers though.

Fair one, yea serviceable kit is beneficial in these lean times. Hardly the rocket science some on here would have you believe either :lolup:

Seen Alot of poor condition stuff in the past tbh that people have said "mint condition" when 3 out of the 4 shock absorbers have burst.

They can't all be winners. :(

Clio RS 2.0 16v
I am struggling with the next suspension for my clio 172 mk1.

After installing Eibach Sportline spring on the 172, I find the car running not stable as before ( may be the spring is now shorter than standard and the shocks are old/not having enough force to hold the body moving).

If now I replace a set of Koni sport shocks, I don't sure whether I need to remove the oem bump-stop?
( I cut away the bumps-stop for the Eibach spring because I find there is not distance for travel when using standard shocks).

Considering price, I also considering KTR coilover for my car ... I live in Hong Kong. (Not much highway, some roads are rough)

ANY COMMENTS FOR ME, CLIO FRIENDS!