ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping from type R to V6 255

would you ?

i need to decide by wednesday done all the test drives price talks getting 12.k for the type R, and the V6 is 19K.

opinions please:)

Elise/VX220/R26

dont expect an amazing difference in performance, obviously the vee is a lot more of a headturner than the ctr (or anything else lol) be prepared for a shock how much more poorly renaults are built than hondas!!

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

The difference will be minimal and yes the build quality wont as good as your Honda however the road presence of the V6 is a world of difference compared to the Type R, and the noise and overall performance of the v6 is superb. Also the v6mk2 should hold its value slightly better.

TBH the build quality on the V6 255 wasnt to bad then again its not a normal clio is it and for a new price of 24-27k you expect a bit more dont you.

i know the clio is aster than my type R and its road presence is huge, but i cant make my mind up

GR7

Shiny red R32

Just do it - you know you want to! :D

Youll have loads of people taking pics of you with their phones and you will be the centre of attention with such a gorgeous looking car. :cool:

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by type-R on 02 April 2005

any V6 255 owners ever had any problems?

just want to check before i buy
No problems, spends most of its life getting thrashed on track - just keeps going. Oh and ignore all the stuff above about performance - if youve never driven one (and they havent) youll never know what youre missing!

lol it always makes me laugh when i read about how bad the performance is. If you have driven one then you will know how special they are ;) and im sure you wont need convinceing ;) so just do it :D

172beast

Megane 225?!?! PMSL!!! Biggest bag of w**k Renaults released.

Driven a V6 255 round Bedford track before for 6/7 laps, good fun, was no quicker then my 172 on the straights but felt better through corners and braking, engine screaming behind your tap hole makes it feel supercar quick, tis quite special.

MINI JCW

the v6 is faster than the ctr, probably about 1.5 secs faster to 100.

Theres no doubting the V6 is quick but when it comes down to performance per pound then its not impressive

Im also considering purchasing a 255.

is there many tuning parts for them or are they already as good as they get??

My considerations are also evo or P1 Impreza!!

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 03 April 2005

Quote: Originally posted by type-R on 02 April 2005
Oh and ignore all the stuff above about performance - if youve never driven one (and they havent) youll never know what youre missing!

DITTO

You tell em Mike................go get em eh :D

Cya StusV6...............its the only way to go OH YEAH :cool:

TBH the CTR is fast enough for me so the V6 255 is what i want.

in the land of the Gatso and speed bump you cant drive an evo properly anyway.

i have driven the V6 and although performance is not much better than a 182 in the real world.

It feel like its worlds apart (the V6 255 is about the whole package)

If you really could afford it, then why not?

Youll already know in your heart if you want one - its not going to be a logical decision you arrive at.

As long as its not utter rollocks, Id have any car as mad as that.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 03 April 2005

Youll already know in your heart if you want one - its not going to be a logical decision you arrive at.
correct. Buying a Clio V6 ha nothing to do with logic!

Tappd'd RS

I considered making the same change, but opted for an Evo VIII instead (it had a lot to do with the Clio only having 2 seats to be honest)

Quote: Originally posted by gazcaddy on 03 April 2005

Theres no doubting the V6 is quick but when it comes down to performance per pound then its not impressive

em let me see...

McLaren f1, cost new £650,000 top speed 225mph = £2,888 per mph......

V6 Clio, cost new £25,000 top speed 153mph = £163 per mph.....

does that mean the V6 clio is 17.7 times better than a mcLaren f1 in "Performance per pound" then......lol...of course not.....

You pay what you want/like/can afford, for the car you want/like, simple really... :)

Im only being silly really, but I do hate this "Performance per pound" thing, as most "supercars would not be worth the £100,000 of pounds they cost if thats all you want out of a car....

Have a nice day....:D

Simon.

In every day driving the CTR will NOT be as quick as the MkII V6. Unless of course you drive around in a CTR at 5/6000 RPM. Torque makes a car quick and the R has none. Yes, it goes when revved hard but you cannot drive like this all the time.

As Mike said, buying a V6 is not a logical decisiion but purely emotive. I want one because I have had a VTEC, 2 Imprezas, Evo and 220 MCS. The V6 is *just* different and I fancy some individuality with resoanble running costs and smiles per miles!

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Ive always considered a CTRs performance comparable to my old 172 Mk 1 below triple figures. Certainly the CTRs Ive driven felt similar performance wise (as long as you ragged the CTRs arse).

My V6 255 pulls much harder than the 172 all the time ... grunt makes a significant difference when driving "normally". It was even quick when running it in and short shifting at 3krpm :) Trouble is that speed wise it can catch you out ... acceleration is much more linear, and you think youre going slower than you really are since its not thrashing and is a smooth drive.

Every time I drive the V6 I realize how lucky I am to have one ... cant imagine the smiles are going to stop any time soon :D:D

simple answer here get the f**kin car there so beautiful id swap my clio and loads of cash to have one i mean when are u ever gonna find out what are the true depths of ur car unless ur like tellford mike and get it on a track plus i hate jap cars

question for you lot

what would u keep longer, 182 , type r or v6 erm id cherish a v6 for years not flog it when a new model comes out these are one in a life time cars buy it buy it BUY it

my opinion.............

buy a clio cup and spend 5K on engine, brakes and suspension and it will out handle and out run a v6 255!

The 255 v6s are nice but for the money, no way would I personally buy one........if you want to spent that sort of money, go jap and buy an evo,skyline, spec C scooby etc.

a CTR is nimble but not outright fast, you have to rev the hell out of it to get any performance........you cant really compare a CTR to a V6 255 as they are not in the same league. The V6 is really in the 25-30K league of cars and for that sort of money.....you can acquire mega power and handling to die for.

At the end of the day, you dont buy a car for what it looks like (well i dont, otherwise I wouldnt own a pulsar lol (nissan sunny!)) but for how it goes and handles!!!

V6s at pod have been very poor, mid 14s!

A v6 is a looker NOT a drivers car.........Ive never driven one but ive over took a few.

(preparing for the feedback :S lol)

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by mozza on 04 April 2005

my opinion.............

blah blah blah

Ive never driven one
Dont worry about it mate - nor have 99% of the other people who express an opinion. Clio V6 is a bit like alcohol - its really hard to explain how good it is to somebody whos never tried it!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by 172beast on 03 April 2005

Megane 225?!?! PMSL!!! Biggest bag of w**k Renaults released.

Driven a V6 255 round Bedford track before for 6/7 laps, good fun, was no quicker then my 172 on the straights but felt better through corners and braking, engine screaming behind your tap hole makes it feel supercar quick, tis quite special.
you must have a bloody quick 172 if the V6 was not quicker on the straights as I can categorically say that it is!

The V6 is an amazing car and if if was to continue in production would be next on my list of cars to owm, the power delivery is amazing, handling supreme and the noise, looks, road presence is only matched by cars costing over 100K

From a type R to a V6 would be a good move, very satisfying and quicker in all respects without having to rely of 1800000000K revs to get anywhere.

My opinion ( and yes I have driven both) DO IT!

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 04 April 2005
Quote: Originally posted by mozza on 04 April 2005my opinion.............blah blah blahIve never driven one [/QUOTE]Dont worry about it mate - nor have 99% of the other people who express an opinion. Clio V6 is a bit like alcohol - its really hard to explain how good it is to somebody whos never tried it!

Well said that man!

If youve never driven the Vee, or any other car you choose to comment on, how on earth can you make an informed decision?! Id love to see Mr.Clarkson try the same trick!!

im getting it :D

been thinking about it for a few days and nights;)and plan to look after it and keep it for a long time if all goes well,

i cant wait now:cool:

v6 mk2

here here, this forum is a joke when someone mentions v6 everyone looks out the copy of evo magazine that said it handles a bit dodgy and starts quoting from it!!

i personally drive mine quite sensibly but when i do open it up i would find it hard to get to the limit without thinking oh im going a bit too fast and slow down, i dont know what these folk think an evo or a scooby is!

ive driven an evo 8, my bro has a scooby and ive driven my mates ctr, none of these cars will have folk waliking into lamposts as you drive past or have the road presence to make even 90 year old people wonder what this wide arched monster on wheels is. I stopped at a cashline the other week and when i came to the car there were 8 or 9 lads asking me if they are as good as they look! of course they are i said as i left 3mm of michelin on the road!!!!!!

i am going to go for a mk2 vee next and then i will be truly gutted to have to buy a normal car again!!! any ideas on a car as good as a vee???? i doubt it!!

Oh mailto:cr@p">cr@p. Cue another 5 page discussion on how good/rubbish the v6 is.

Yes they cost a lot (relatively). No, not everyone in the motoring press liked them. Yes they are flawed and Yes, 172/182 may handle better on twisties and get close to the straight line speed (and cost £10k+ less).

BUT and its a BIG BUT the V6 is great. Most people that have driven one for any length of time will agree that.

Quote: Originally posted by cliov6-230 on 04 April 2005

any ideas on a car as good as a vee???? i doubt it!!

Errrrrr...................nop :D

And the rest of what you said is spot on rite oh yeah (y)

Cya Stu

[Edited by stusV6 on 04 April 2005 at 6:17pm]

Clio V6 255 (Acid Yellow)

Theres a excellent V6 4 page review / buyers guide in this months EVO. They cant praise the mk2 enough.

Im definately going to buy one. I just love the way they look and sound. If only they had given it another 100bhp.....

Quote: Originally posted by _Tom_ on 04 April 2005
Theres a excellent V6 4 page review / buyers guide in this months EVO. They cant praise the mk2 enough.Im definately going to buy one. I just love the way they look and sound. If only they had given it another 100bhp.....

255 bhp and all that torque is more than enough for use on todays busy roads, lined with speed cameras!

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Yay ... finally got my subscription copy of Evo. Mikes 255 is looking mint, and everybody needs to read just how great Evo reckon the V6 is. These guys drive all sorts of exotica ... and rate the V6 highly as a result ;)

i love them but there are 2 bad points

1: 20 mpg or worse and only 23 on a run

2: no room for anything and if you put shopping in the front it melts as its hot in there

bar those 2 things there fab

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Mrdemon on 05 April 2005

i love them but there are 2 bad points

1: 20 mpg or worse and only 23 on a run I get 24 around town! (if Telford qualifies as a town lol) Got 30mpg on the way to Brands last month. Trackdays another story but well pass on that!

2: no room for anything and if you put shopping in the front it melts as its hot in there I can get 2 wheely-cases on the parcel shelf. Ive never needed to use the front boot, plenty of room for luggage for 2. Helmets no problem either - theres a lot of room.

bar those 0 things there fab :D
Honestly, neither of these things are a problem!