ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping iPhones - photos, videos, etc

Hi All,

Dad and I get new iPhones today/in a couple of weeks. Both currently running 4Ses.

For me, moving from the 4S to the 5S is easy as I'll copy all my videos and photos to the comp to save them and start a fresh anyway. And my contacts, calendars, settings etc are backed up in iCloud.

However, with dad, it's a little more troublesome as copy and pasting videos to his laptop without me being there is more difficult and he would want them back on his phone anyway. Is there a way to use photo stream over the wifi, so he can back up, change phone, restore from backup on the new phone and have everything as it was?

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
iCloud.

Back-up his phone on iCloud, then restore on new phone.

This. All his photos, contacts, notes and anything else will sync when he starts his new phone.

Once he turns it on he will need to "Restore from iCloud" instead of "Start Fresh" or whatever it says.

I don't think videos sync over iCloud so he would lose them.

Should have just PM'd you...

But on a serious note, so this covers photos as well, via iCloud? If he has quite a large amount, is there going to be a data issue as iCloud is only a certain number of free GB IIRC?

This. All his photos, contacts, notes and anything else will sync when he starts his new phone.

Once he turns it on he will need to "Restore from iCloud" instead of "Start Fresh" or whatever it says.

I don't think videos sync over iCloud so he would lose them.

Ah OK, now this is what I'm worried about and what will come to bite me. I'll find out later about videos, but so long as videos are covered, I'm sure he could email videos...

Cup In bits
You need to turn on what's being saved to iCloud before backing it up, it's in the settings somewhere.