ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping Tyres.....

Ok, can of worms time........

I wouldnt dream of doing this on the road but, I am doing a trackday next Monday and I have noticed my front tyres are looking a bit sorry for themselves. Whats your opinion on just swapping front to back for the day? Just for the record I will be buying some new tyres within the next couple of weeks, so I am not to fussed about wearing them out.

Just one other thing. This isnt a question on whether I should take my rear seats out, put 15inch wheels on, remove spare wheel etc etc ;)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Id advise against it to be honest mate. not a very wise thing to do in my honest opinion.

Dont do it I did to save having to pay out for 2 new tyre and because of it it cost me about 1K as it was one of the reasons I crashed my car.

The Clio needs all the grip it can at the back there is no weight back.

Dont be mad change them for new ones and then swop the front and rear round so the old ones dont become useless.

A magazine also tested once that the shotest braking distance was achieved on a car with new front and rears but having new ones at the rear was better than them being at the front.

EDD

Ok, to follow on.......

I know I need new tyres at the front, but the ones that were on when I bought it are awful (Hangkook Ventus) and I am gonna change the brand I use (LOL Dont start on what tyres to use, I know what I am buying. :D) Where was I? Oh yeh......is it ok to have different brands on from front to rear?

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 04 November 2003

Yep swap them over..i always do it after about half of the front tyres life.

-Rob

Well done for going against the masses, but, you are outvoted this time. I shant be swapping.....

Well at the end of the day its a FWD with all weight over the front so the back tyres arent as important at the end of the day..and if its track work then whats wrong with having less back grip? As long as the treads not completely gone of course!

Dont have a mixture of brands though..

-Rob

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Dont put your worn tyres on the rear!

Worn tyres on front = more understeer which may slow your lap times, but provided you dont over do it you will be able to safely drive as fast as the cars level of grip will allow.

Worn tyres on rear = less understeer due to better grip on front, but will mean you can corner at speeds higher than the rear grip can cope with (particularly as there is less weight over the wheels at the back), and so you will most probably spin and crash...... :p.

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 05 November 2003

Well at the end of the day its a FWD with all weight over the front so the back tyres arent as important at the end of the day..and if its track work then whats wrong with having less back grip? As long as the treads not completely gone of course!

Dont have a mixture of brands though..

-Rob

I cannot see why mixing brands is a problme sa long as tyes arnt changed ir radial.

If the front of the car has grip and the back dont then cornering gets stupid as the back of the car can spin round on you (how I crashed) and going backwards on the wrong side of the road at speed is when you think about the money you were to pikey to spend on decient tyres.

EDD

The car will behave best with the worn tyres on the front, and if its a damp trackday Id keep the worn tyres on the front. If it pours with rain then either setup will work with obvious disadvantages...

If its dry and yer sliding about loads, put yer worn ones on the back. If you do keep the worn ones on the front, by trackday lunchtime youll have worn through them totally, then youll have to drive home early on two very dodgy tyres.

If you have a good trackday, youll probably have to swap em round during the day to compensate for different wear... Aim to go home on 4 equally worn tyres.

172, Tiguan

i have done this in the past, instead of having to buy 2 new tyres. But then i thought why did i do that? im gonna have to buy four new tyres next time.