ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tablet for commute - recommendations

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
You sure? Someone on here (i wont mention names) claims a atom powered windows 8 tablet is a genuine ipad slayer.

Might be time to ditch your mac?

Anything running Windows 8 needs to go straight past "Go", not collect £200 and go straight into the bin.

Awful.

Nexus 7 get's my vote due to the ease of copying files over (music/films/books), over iTunes. (I said this previously, but now other people actually I agree I know I won't get shot down for mentioning a non-Apple product :p)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Nexus 7 get's my vote due to the ease of copying files over (music/films/books), over iTunes. (I said this previously, but now other people actually I agree I know I won't get shot down for mentioning a non-Apple product :p)

Humour me, how is it any easier?

Rav4
As we may all know, the rumours are that ios7 will have a big change, I don't know if that can really or will happen as all the iOS versions are very similar.

A lot of the people from Apple have been poached by google, money & future talks.

As to what platform is best, that really depends. I will always go back to the example of usability. My mother for instance would hardly make best use of Android, she is more than fine with iOS, the tools available were the same, it's just it appears to be far easier on iOS.

I am not sure that Apple can keep the pace of what they had done and to my regret sn00p is totally coorrect from my point of view (to me, he normally makes sense)

I just don't know what future Apple have, is it dangerous to keep to their "eco system" considering their possible outcome, just like Microsoft ?!!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
As we may all know, the rumours are that ios7 will have a big change, I don't know if that can really or will happen as all the iOS versions are very similar.

A lot of the people from Apple have been poached by google, money & future talks.

As to what platform is best, that really depends. I will always go back to the example of usability. My mother for instance would hardly make best use of Android, she is more than fine with iOS, the tools available were the same, it's just it appears to be far easier on iOS.

I am not sure that Apple can keep the pace of what they had done and to my regret sn00p is totally coorrect from my point of view (to me, he normally makes sense)

I just don't know what future Apple have, is it dangerous to keep to their "eco system" considering their possible outcome, just like Microsoft ?!!

To be fair, anyone moving from the iPhone/iOS teams into google will be on an anti-compete clause anyway so they'd be working on something else (friend went from iPhone to Chrome).

My dad has an iPad and an Android (samsung....urgh) phone, he's certainly not technical savvy but he gets on with both in equal measures, to him one is not easier or more difficult to use, after all unless you go delving (and unless you're techincally savvy you need a reason to go delving) you only ever press the top level icons on the screen.

It's a matter of fact that *everybody* has their day and it comes in cycles, I've seen nothing from Apples special applications group in the past 1-1.5 years to suggest anything other than they are surfing down the other side of the wave - and as much as it pains me to say it, Samsung seem to be riding straight up the other side.

If you think how quickly the fortunes of mobile phone manufacturers change, 5 years ago Blackberry was a powerhouse and now they're struggling to keep their head above water. Nokia was a behemoth.

It doesn't matter where you are now, how many devices you currently sell or what profit you currently make because if you fail to innovate and are happy to just naturally evolve then sometime soon a bigger fish is going to come into your pond and beat the crap out of you.

Edit:

Just to point out Nokia were arrogant, they continued to push symbian even though it was utter crap, bug ridden, slow, bloated utter crap. They failed to listen to anyone, everyone told them it was crap but they pushed on regardless. Then the LOL of all LOL's when they finally realised it was crap they put all their eggs in the Microsoft basket. LOLOLOLOL.

Rav4
To be fair, anyone moving from the iPhone/iOS teams into google will be on an anti-compete clause anyway so they'd be working on something else (friend went from iPhone to Chrome).

My dad has an iPad and an Android (samsung....urgh) phone, he's certainly not technical savvy but he gets on with both in equal measures, to him one is not easier or more difficult to use, after all unless you go delving (and unless you're techincally savvy you need a reason to go delving) you only ever press the top level icons on the screen.

It's a matter of fact that *everybody* has their day and it comes in cycles, I've seen nothing from Apples special applications group in the past 1-1.5 years to suggest anything other than they are surfing down the other side of the wave - and as much as it pains me to say it, Samsung seem to be riding straight up the other side.

If you think how quickly the fortunes of mobile phone manufacturers change, 5 years ago Blackberry was a powerhouse and now they're struggling to keep their head above water. Nokia was a behemoth.

It doesn't matter where you are now, how many devices you currently sell or what profit you currently make because if you fail to innovate and are happy to just naturally evolve then sometime soon a bigger fish is going to come into your pond and beat the crap out of you.

Edit:

Just to point out Nokia were arrogant, they continued to push symbian even though it was utter crap, bug ridden, slow, bloated utter crap. They failed to listen to anyone, everyone told them it was crap but they pushed on regardless. Then the LOL of all LOL's when they finally realised it was crap they put all their eggs in the Microsoft basket. LOLOLOLOL.

I agree with you on everything apart form Microsoft.

I once thought it was a stupid move to choose MS over Android. yes there have been issues 7.5/7.8 not getting the 8.0 upgrade, but personally I think it will be the right move in the long term if MS can keep up their game.

DB.

BMW 440i

​I click sync and it does everything itself over Wifi, how can that be any easier?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I thought you had to do everything through iTunes with any apple product? I've never used one so I don't know.
With android you just drop and drag folders like you would with any external drive and it works fine.

I'd go with the Nexus. Based solely on what you get for the price. My dad has the 32gb one and I think its great. If I was ever going to get a tablet then it would be on of them.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Does it sort the items for you? So if I dropped a folder containing music, books and films, would they end up in the correct places on the device? Or does the device show up with a music folder, video folder etc etc and you drop files into the correct one?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Does it sort the items for you? So if I dropped a folder containing music, books and films, would they end up in the correct places on the device? Or does the device show up with a music folder, video folder etc etc and you drop files into the correct one?

Well if its the same layout as my Samsung nexus, you open the device folder and it has music /pictures /videos etc and you just drop what you want where you want.

Asus transformer prime ......... pisses an ipad into oblivion ..... wtf wants to have to use itunes
64GB standard no option because who wants small ?
tablet 10 hours battery
attach keyboard 15hours (and thats tested 15 hours of 720p video playback
micro sd slot (64gb current will be 128 soon)
full size sd slot (can get 128gb sd cards)
usd port

​ supports ntfs out the box for those HD film files.

​best travel device i have ever owned , sit it beside my S3 LTE sharing 4G and its an utterly awesome combo . apple can't touch it .

You sure? Someone on here (i wont mention names) claims a atom powered windows 8 tablet is a genuine ipad slayer.

believe this was me, however I said the i3 one....

Not everyone has to swear by Apple. The new Blackberry 10 is 10x better than the iphone for example. Just lacking in apps. However It's unix based so it won't be long until andorid apps get ported

Have you actually used it, not just the browser teaser? In what way is it ten times better than iOS?

Yes... I own one haha. Much easier to navigate apps. Camera is better, screen is better, gestures are better, casing is better, can easily drop files on and off it from any computer by typing in a UNC path with username and password (no s**tty itunes involved), battery life is f**king awesome, micro hdmi out so i can stream iplayer hd to my tv, keyboard is better, blackberry hub makes it dead easy to talk to people on different platforms.

Is that enough for you.

Oh and Angry Birds Star Wars HD is free.

EDIT: guess how much 32gb extra storage costs me?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32GB-SAND...AsAccessories_MemoryCards&hash=item5654238404

Double Edit:

NFC & 4G which isn't on a stupid frequency

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It isn't. Apple hatred is rife these days. Quite refreshing really, I never liked being a sheep.

Bus w**ker
Yes... I own one haha. Much easier to navigate apps. Camera is better, screen is better, gestures are better, casing is better, can easily drop files on and off it from any computer by typing in a UNC path with username and password (no s**tty itunes involved), battery life is f**king awesome, micro hdmi out so i can stream iplayer hd to my tv, keyboard is better, blackberry hub makes it dead easy to talk to people on different platforms.

Is that enough for you.

Oh and Angry Birds Star Wars HD is free.

EDIT: guess how much 32gb extra storage costs me?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32GB-SAND...AsAccessories_MemoryCards&hash=item5654238404

So you own a Z10 then? I was only on about BB10, as in the OS.

I know I'm going off topic here but I just want to query some of the points you've raised.

How is it easier to navigate apps?
What's the screen resolution?
How does BB Hub make it easier to converse with people on other platforms, have BB brought out a cross platform client and if so do users on other OS' need to install an app?

Oh and the questions above are specific to iDevice, I'm interested to know how they compare to Android offerings too.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Don't bait the troll.

I really have heard it all now. Ten times better.

So you own a Z10 then? I was only on about BB10, as in the OS.

I know I'm going off topic here but I just want to query some of the points you've raised.

How is it easier to navigate apps?
What's the screen resolution?
How does BB Hub make it easier to converse with people on other platforms, have BB brought out a cross platform client and if so do users on other OS' need to install an app?

Oh and the questions above are specific to iDevice, I'm interested to know how they compare to Android offerings too.

Yes, owned it for a few weeks, everything is done through gestures as I say, it's really hard to explain with out you actually using one so the best way to find out what its like is to try one. Not a clue, not as high as the iphone but it's larger (infact the same size as nexus 4).

Platforms such as Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook, BBM, Texts, Email. All in one place, no need to enter each app to message someone back.
342990.gif

Not sure compared to Andoid as it's rare I ever use one.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Have you used one?

Yes.

Q10 too, which I think is a superior device.
(If no other phone other than a z10 was in the choices)

It's 100% better than the previous BB OS devices. But 10x better than iOS? No.

I certainly wouldn't highlight the hub as a good feature, it's a horrendous experience.

Yes.

Q10 too, which I think is a superior device.
(If no other phone other than a z10 was in the choices)

It's 100% better than the previous BB OS devices. But 10x better than iOS? No.

I certainly wouldn't highlight the hub as a good feature, it's a horrendous experience.

How long for?

I agree about the previous bb os, it was s**t! They've dropped c++ for unix though

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Long enough.

While I'm happy to discuss this, it's wildly off topic. Feel free to start a BB10 thread.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
If you're already in the Apple 'eco system' then the iPad is fine, but it can be a little annoying if you're used to just drag and dropping a wealth of file types on and off a device.

I went with an iPad though purely because I liked how it was to use, all the other tablets I tried never felt quite right if that makes sense.

But I still have to mess about converting file types and using iTunes to manage the devices (although I bet there's an app for the former, although I tend to prefer doing things as native as possible).