ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tamron 28-70 f2.8 - any experiences?

Was looking at a constant aperture lens on a small budget and this one is within that budget!

Anyone used one?

It it will be a direct replacement for the 24-85 VR kit lens.

I know I will lose VR but with the f2.8 make up for that?

iIts for general walk about and portraits and maybe a wedding.

2014 Focus Titanium
Probably isn't any help but I'll share any way.

On my Canon I've had a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 which was a replacement for the kit lens. Whilst 2.8 was great and helped in low light situations, had my kit lens had IS (or VC) I don't think realistically I'd have been able to use it any less than the sigma except if the subjest was moving in low light.

I have recently chopped the Sigma in for a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC and it has made a massive difference having stabilisation again, especially with f/2.8. My advice would be try to pick up a 2.8 lens with stabilisation on ebay; I got my Tamron for just £200!

The only full frame lens with image stabilisation is the tamron 24-70 f2.8 and it's way out of my budget at around £700-£800. Nikon/Canon/sigma do not do a stabilised FX standard lens sadly.

Even the pro 24-70 lenses do not have it.

Some decent reviews on YouTube. Some people use it as their main wedding lens.

Few people say its noisy and not image stabilisation is an issue, but none of the 'pro' glass has this either. I'm pretty sure with f2.8 and much better ISO handling on full frame the lack of this is not a problem.