ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tb's , supercharging or turbo?

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I've been looking at throttle bodies lately and just wanted some opinions on what's a good set up in terms of value for money/performance.
I'm hoping to some track days and maybe sprints/hill climbs etc so want it to be reliable as well.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
As others have said, for the gains, TB's aren't really cutting it anymore. They do sound epic though and an NA engine may be better for hill climbs / sprints from a competitive class perspective.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Are turbo kits available without the fitting?

I've seen a used itb set up for £1200 including the loom and omex 600 ecu.
Good value?

Ph.1 172, FD3S RX-7
boosted power is always cheapest in terms of bang for buck.

if i ever wanted to boost my clio i'd be tempted to look into either an Eaton roots blower or a Rotrex for simplicity. saw an Alfa hatchback with a Rotrex at Snetterton a while back and it was awesome.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I've always had turbo's cars,
Fiesta rs turbo, 2× S2 rs turbo's , leon cupra R, even my Mercedes had a supercharger.

Don't get me wrong my clio is quick, my mate in his 240bhp leon cupra can't touch it.
Currently it has matched inlets, 64mm throttle body, cda carbon airbox, it's been remapped, de catted with a lovely sounding stealth system. (Not sure if it's had cams as it idles very lumpy.)

With a bit of boost I bet it's awesome!

Just not sure if it would mess things up for competing in the future!

The car currently doesn't owe me too much so I'll have to look into all options.

RB Clio 182
Remember it will put strain on other components, im on my 2nd box after 4k miles, and the replacement one I bought crunches into 3rd at high rmp, im going to get it refurbished next time its not worth buying a 2nd hand box.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I think I might get the rest of the car up to spec first, cage and seats and put it on a diet.
Just sorted an alloy bonnet, aircon delete and vibratechnics engine mounts.

do a few events and go from there!

turbo 182
If you want to compete hill climbs and be quick around the track and Go with a turbo I'd say go low boost 230-250 bhp, around 250 was near on perfect today at croft wound the boost up so was over 300 and yes it was a lot quicker but was my lap times any quicker?.... Not really as I was struggling for traction even in the dry with semi slicks - no point spinning the wheels if your not going any were! And also get a diff certaiy if you choose the boosted root

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I wouldn't have thought there was much point in any more than 250bhp in a clio.

Can you get a bolt on kit?
Obviously have to have it mapped but is there someone who will supply the kit?

I had a look at engine dynamics and it was cheaper fitted than as a kit online?

Clio turbo only list fitted prices.

I think I did see a guide on here, might make a list and start collecting the bits!

turbo 182
I wouldn't have thought there was much point in any more than 250bhp in a clio.

Can you get a bolt on kit?
Obviously have to have it mapped but is there someone who will supply the kit?

I had a look at engine dynamics and it was cheaper fitted than as a kit online?

Clio turbo only list fitted prices.

I think I did see a guide on here, might make a list and start collecting the bits!
Clio turbo offer fitted and DIY kits the DIY kits are a fair bit cheaper than fitted, but fitted includes the mapping aswell I'd choose clio turbo over engine dynamics

SQ5
If you want to compete hill climbs and be quick around the track and Go with a turbo I'd say go low boost 230-250 bhp, around 250 was near on perfect today at croft wound the boost up so was over 300 and yes it was a lot quicker but was my lap times any quicker?.... Not really as I was struggling for traction even in the dry with semi slicks - no point spinning the wheels if your not going any were! And also get a diff certaiy if you choose the boosted root

330 with a supercharger though you don't get any spinning wheels, just smooth delivery ;)

SQ5
It all depends, if you can get a second hand kit I did it it for £2500 and all myself in my driveway.

A drive in/out conversion with mapping is about £4k.

But they will only get you to 250bhp/200lbft whereas a turbo would be 250/250.

The supercharged ones always just seemed more usable to me, felt exactly like N/A.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Torque limited maps keep it cheap. Massive torque at low rpm is nice but destructive. If you limit yourself to a nice flat torque curve of 200lbs/ft you still get 230bhp at 6000rpm! Diesels torque limit all the time for good reason!

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
With a forced induction motor you will be in a class running slicks at hillclimbs or sprints. Learn racecraft first in the n/a car for a season at least prior to joining a slicks class.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I have 250bhp and 220 lb ft from my supercharger setup, with a gripper diff, and it felt like the perfect balance of more power / same delivery / good traction at Anglesey last week. In the wet, and dry.

But then I would say that.... ;)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I have 250bhp and 220 lb ft from my supercharger setup, with a gripper diff, and it felt like the perfect balance of more power / same delivery / good traction at Anglesey last week. In the wet, and dry.

But then I would say that.... :wink:
I agree with you. My passenger ride in your car felt very impressive. Nice and progressive power delivery with enough urge to make progress with ease.
Good car.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
So, does anyone actually offer a drive in/out supercharger conversion, like Andy does with the turbo conversations?

Oops, Just noticed DannyR does them

SQ5
I've only done it for myself, my first was a drive in/out conversion by Paul at RSTuning, I'm sure he would still do them.