ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test drove 172 cup - slightly sluggish

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
Am looking at replacing my 172 ff that was written off with 172 cup

found a really nice one, really good condition with regular service and has just had 2 new tires, new disks and pads all round and new exhuast.

owner seems to not have driven it very hard at all since trip computer showed 36mpg over 400 miles, not a big sample but i know when im driving 400 miles in my 172 im getting about 29mpg.

the handling felt great, clutch felt stiffer than my 172ff not sure if that makes a difference or not but car felt good to drive.

only problem i had with it was that it felt more sluggish than my old mk2 172 FF, in 2nd gear going up to 60mph it didnt feel as quick.

could this be due to the car not been driven very much over the last year and a half and been driven quite tamley or could it be any other probems

any help would be great!

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
my FF was completly standard apart from a panel filter, my 172 cup had done 35k miles the cup had done 46k

should that make much a difference?

i only really noticed the difference when reving in 2nd up to 60mph, just didnt pull to the limmiter like my 172FF did

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Another Friday car.

It could need a good service and a 100 mile shoeing.

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
Must of been a fake cup :p

the handling felt great, it just didnt jump to 60 in 2nd gear which my 172ff did, im wondering if its just becuase the car has been driven tamley? would that make a difference?

172 Cup
Like len said, prolly just needs a service and good booting if you are worried about it walk away/get checked/test drive another

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
is a tough one really, hasnt had a service ages ago only about 5k miles / 7 months ago

just wondering if it just might be a slow one and might never be that quick? would driving it slowly and not having had a service really recnetly make that much of a difference?

Clio 172
Must of been a fake cup :p

the handling felt great, it just didnt jump to 60 in 2nd gear which my 172ff did, im wondering if its just becuase the car has been driven tamley? would that make a difference?
Sure a 172FF shouldn't do 60 in 2nd unless it's been remapped?

I bought my 172FF with 49k from one female owner who I don't think ever took it over 3000rpm, the engines getting better with each thrashing, having said that I reckon I've been collered for a 3 point/£60 special last weekend, copper hidden on a side road round a blind bend, window half would down, gun out, damn.

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
i think it just scrapes to 60mph in 2nd well mine did and as far as i know it hadnt had a remap, had it serviced at rentech a couple of times and they didnt mention it, not sure how easy it would be to notice

cup did 60mph in 2nd but didnt get there as quickly

thats good that your noticing a difference in performance after driving it harder, im hoping thats what the problem is with this one!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
New tyres, disks and pads sounds bit sus. Might have been ragged, look thru the history to see how often they've been replaced. I keep all my receipts and any good caring owner should do the same IMO.

Clio 172
If you're ever near Leeds you could get it remapped at RS Tuning, had mine done, makes a decent difference, seems to have two power surges at about 4500rpm then again at 6500rpm, weird, livens things up a bit though, still need to wring it's neck though.

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
New tyres, disks and pads sounds bit sus. Might have been ragged, look thru the history to see how often they've been replaced. I keep all my receipts and any good caring owner should do the same IMO.

its been serviced regularly and i get the impression that it has definetly not been ragged, but i guess you never know, also i heard that if the cups have been driven really hard you usually they are quite quick when you first get into them

Am looking at replacing my 172 ff that was written off with 172 cup

found a really nice one, really good condition with regular service and has just had 2 new tires, new disks and pads all round and new exhuast.

owner seems to not have driven it very hard at all since trip computer showed 36mpg over 400 miles, not a big sample but i know when im driving 400 miles in my 172 im getting about 29mpg.

the handling felt great, clutch felt stiffer than my 172ff not sure if that makes a difference or not but car felt good to drive.

only problem i had with it was that it felt more sluggish than my old mk2 172 FF, in 2nd gear going up to 60mph it didnt feel as quick.

could this be due to the car not been driven very much over the last year and a half and been driven quite tamley or could it be any other probems

any help would be great!

go and test drive another cup to make sure

My car feels different day to day. Sometimes it feels like a rocket, other days, it feels very sluggish. It could just have been this kind of effect.

I'd expect a Cup to feel slightly quicker, I'd presume, due to it being slightly lighter.

Test drive another and see what that's like. Maybe your's was freakishly quick?

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
problem is ive put a deposit down on this one and have not got the time to test drive another one as im planning on picking this one up tomorrow night. bit stupid of me really

i only put a £100 deposit down so maybe its worth me test driving another, im going to take the car into get serviced after i've bought it so maybe thats all it needs allthough has been serviced reasonably recently.

im sure if there is nothing wrong with the car then after i have put it through its paces it will probably open up. the car was in great conditinon and really hasnt been thrashed so maybe thats why the engine has tightened up a bit, not sure really

Cup Turbo, Flamer
The harder you drive them the faster they get in my opinion!! I've driven mine hard since day one, 10ish track days and 42500miles later, it loves it!

A4 Avant
You can't compare how you think your last car went to this new one! Without timing them you'll never know if it is actually slower. I've been in a few cars that have felt quicker than mine but when actually driving against them mines turned out to be quicker.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
You can't compare how you think your last car went to this new one! Without timing them you'll never know if it is actually slower. I've been in a few cars that have felt quicker than mine but when actually driving against them mines turned out to be quicker.
The TDI effect Nigel ;)

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
thats a shame - surrey doesnt seem to be a great place for cups!

am going to test drive a car i saw in autotrader, doesnt seem as nice as the one im planning on getting but is close to work so will able to take it for a spin tonight and see how it compares

thanks for the help guys!

LY 200

Mod racing.......Shocker!!! :eek:

Hope this comparison of cars was on a track Nige!!! ;)

172 CUP
no 2 cars are the same

u get a fast and slow one if u know what i mean

get 2 identical cars out the showroom

bentch mark them and they wont be idenital - always get a slighty qicker one

could be just a slower cup

test drive another

Polo GTi
I drove quite a few Cups before buying mine, they all seem varied to me, I tried one that was sluggish and steered well clear, it only had 28k on it too, might of had something to do with it and 1 woman owner

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
I decided to look at another cup which im checking out tonight, will be intersting to see if there is a big difference