ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test drove a 182 today

RB 182 FF
Hi there I have always lurked on this forum since i bought my 1.2 clio. Now I want something a bit tastier. So today I popped into the dealer and enquired about a 182. Lovely 'racing blue' car with 40k miles and in good condition the only things I spotted wrong on my brief inspection was the top of the gearknob was scratched the steering wheel had started going a bit flakey and a random hole in the dash. (Can this be repaired does anybody know?)

Anyway I took it out of the complex and plodded along up the road, obviously I had a sales person with me so couldn't really give it too much plus it was cold, now at this point I was expecting it to have a bit more grunt even at low revs but this wasn't the case. I drove it around a bit more to let it warm up and test things like steering and gear changes etc. All of that was spot on but it didnt seem to be as responsive as I thought it would be. It was also a little 'bumpier' than I expected but this doesnt bother me as I am sure the handling will be amazing.

We got onto a dual carriageway and the sales person looked around and told me to boot it.. Which I didnt really do right away but I did gradually stick my toe down, it went well and you can definately tell when it comes on cam plus the sound is pretty dam sexy. The trouble is I cant help but feel it isnt as fast as I was hoping, I was hoping for a little more lower down. Maybe its just a characteristic? Maybe you can help?

Sorry about the long read, just concerned that the 182 may not be the car I was looking for.

It did look dam sexy mind.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
You may get shot for putting it in this section - ha
Test drive another one is my advice, before I brought my 182 I had taken out another one and wasn't impressed. Then I saw the one I finally got on the forecourt and thought i'll have another go and it was a completely different car.

RB 182 FF
Thanks for your reply. I will ask if I can drive another, although I wouldn't mind spending more time in it to get a better feel and drive it with the engine at optimum operating temp.

Sorry about wrong section, mods.

182 has now gone!
I would say test drive another one as well....
I love my 182, but admit after driving Ollies 172 cup.. the 182 is def not as quick

500 Twinair
when i test drove my 182, i didnt think much of the performance, but chose to buy it on looks and colour alone.
Then when i got more miles on it i fell in love with the performance and the handling and the fact it feels quite raw for a newish car

Mk4 .:R32
When I test drove my 172, didn't feel like anything special. But you have to bear in mind it was probably still cold, and it's like any car. You need to understand the gearing etc to be able to drive it to its full potential.

LY182. Golf GT TDI 195.
I test drove two before I bought mine. The first one I was impressed with and was the one that put the whole idea of buying a clio sport in my head, although it took nearly a year until i got round to testing another one and was dissappointed. But I just thought f*ck it and bought the one I wanted, and I personally think it feels quicker than both of them. Some must just be shagged???

RB 182 FF
Thanks all for your input, some things there to think about. I really want a minter. So not going to rush into anything just yet.

going from a 1.2 to a 2.0 and not bringing a lot...mmmm probably you did not exceed 5000 Rpm...fun starts from 5000 Rpm mate. And with a little adjustment youre realy flying...and for that money it's still most value for pleasure and reliablilty of the engine

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
there not that quick low down, especially when cold. they are quick, but you wont be impressed until you really open it up. like any car really. i know what its like being out with the sales person, you dont want to rev it. but you have to, to see what there really like. were u from get someone of here to take you our a run in theres and see if its what your after.

RB 182 FF
Well that be the reason then. I am from the land of Kernow, and I think i was mostly comparing it to my mates 306 rallye which is a beast low down.

1 Series Coupe
I will be making the same move as you in the next couple of months... Will be going to test drive some 182's at some point... been to see afew, but what some people class as 'Mint' isnt really my type of 'Mint'!

RB 182 FF
I will be making the same move as you in the next couple of months... Will be going to test drive some 182's at some point... been to see afew, but what some people class as 'Mint' isnt really my type of 'Mint'!

No this is the problem I am facing too, a small hole in the dashboard would drive me nuts, thats why I was wondering if its repairable. I will get my fine tooth comb out next time I visit.

Mk4 .:R32
personally I'd try and get a cheaper 182 that has a loose engine, say around 40k, then spend some on coilovers and a remap.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Probably didn't feel as fast as most people on here make out because

a) it's not that fast

and

b) you were driving so it would feel even slower

Honestly though, they are quick little cars, but you have to hammer them through the gears touching the redline to actually get performance from them.

And what's the worst a salesman can say? "Calm it down etc etc"

I always have a top end run when test driving cars, you'll never know otherwise.

PH1 172
i was in the same situation with the 172 cup, was in another couple and normal 172s and was totally put off. called in because my local dealer had just put my one on sale, it was a totally different car!

look around and drive a few before you give up, lovely jump from a 1200, i know ;)

RS Clio 182
Wise advice already given by the good people on here - try a few first.
Above 4000 rpm the 182 comes alive and it flies. Low down its not much you just have to give it a little work and use the gears. When confident on how you feel with it try hard acceleration in second, control the torque steer, up into third then fourth and its 80 before you realise. It will potter about too if you want it to but that engine note is saying, "drive me a little harder" I'd be surprised if it doesn't put a smile on your face.
I asked the salesman when I took mine on a test drive, "Are you a nervous passenger?" "Nope" he replied. "Thats about to change" I told him before setting off. Half way through the drive (I didn't scare him) he asked if I wanted to go back along the dual carriageway. We were both smiling when we got back.

RB 182 FF
OK thanks for all of your input people. I will drive a few more. I certainly did come back with a smile, the exhaust note was fantastic and the steering and suspension felt it had a lot to offer.

Next time I will really give it some stick.

Thanks again

Nick

The 1*2's are crap below 4krpm.

The car really does pull much harder as soon as it hits 5krpm. Much harder.

But don't expect it to be the fastest car on the road, because it's not. They're not fast cars as such, just very nippy for the size of them.

I've sort of done the same upgrade.

I was quite lucky with the 1st test drive I did as the sales man said 'lets got out and drive it like proper loons' then when I got in all he said is wait for it to come to temp then drive it like its stolen. This was all on quiet national roads. So had a good experience with it. The most powerfull car I'd driven at this point was a ST170.

2nd proper test drive I drove a dog. It felt quicker lower down but seemed to run out of puff in 3rd. The gearbox on this was shafted too. No reverse!! So I assumed although the bodywork was reasonable for the age of the car and the inside was clean it had been redlined its whole life.

After seeing a couple more it was the 1st one I drove I actually bought. I quite like the fact 1*2s are slow before 4k because it makes driving around town much easier. Plus, it makes it wife friendly.

Maybe your expectations where to high? Its no lambo but from a 1.2 its a completely different experience. People are right, you need to learn how to drive a 2.0 compared to a 1.2 because your decision making needs to be better and much quicker imo. Coming from a 1.2 everything is different. Nicer to be on the motorway and not having to drop gears to get up hills. The 1*2 is a much more confident car in every way compared to a 1.2 imo.

Oh and I doubt it makes much difference, but I bet if the garage are filling it up I doubt they are using super.

RB 182 FF
More really useful replies so thanks people.

Going to give them a ring tomorrow and ask to take it for a proper blast. Then tell them I want a minter so be on their toes.

I got so many criteria I want it to meet, so I could be waiting for a while. I will post back with second drive results.

BMW M135i
As said previously they don't do much lower down, this can be helped somewhat by the basic breathing mods (quite a lot with the right ones).

When I changed my 1.6 for the 172 at first I didn't think there was that much difference between the two and felt a little dissapointed with the speed, but after a few weeks and starting to learn the car I realised exactly how much faster it actually was. You just have to know how to work it, it begs to be driven hard and thats how you get the best performance from it revs up keep it singing.

CTR
Have to say that, with hindsight, I was too gentle running my 182 in from new and never really got the full performance that I know I got on a test drive of a used one. Sold it with about 49k on the clock, and while it was fun, on several occasions came up short just on motorway sliproads and suchlike against cars I know should've been quite a bit slower.

Now I have a CTR with only 2k on the clock, and having run it in properly (rather than like an old woman) I have no doubt it would hammer my old 182 any time, any place.

Note that I'm not saying 'the 182 is shite - buy a CTR', it's just an illustration of what people are saying - I really believe that there can be a huge difference between two identical models depending on how it's been driven / run in and looked after.

RB Clio 182
You can get the 182 chipped which gives it a lot more grunt through the lower end of the gears and it will rev upto 7300rpm. With the chip you would probably be running about 195-200bhp. Third gear seems like an endless power source, highly recommend the chipping, plus you waste 197's on the road!:rasp:

RB 182 FF
Me again,

Well I test drove the same car again yesterday afternoon and with all of your input in mind I drove it how it was supposed to be driven.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

I was being far far to gentle with it. I let the car warm up and took it to a straight big of road dropped into second and let the engine do its thing all the way up to 7 grand. When the car hit 5, the smile on my face must have been from ear to ear. I now know what all the fuss is about. The car handled and drove extremely well.

So after some chatting with the lovely sales lady about getting some bits and bobs sorted on it I am now the owner of a Clio 182 FF in Racing Blue, will be picking it up next week some time I guess.

Very excited.

Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
Me again,

Well I test drove the same car again yesterday afternoon and with all of your input in mind I drove it how it was supposed to be driven.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

I was being far far to gentle with it. I let the car warm up and took it to a straight big of road dropped into second and let the engine do its thing all the way up to 7 grand. When the car hit 5, the smile on my face must have been from ear to ear. I now know what all the fuss is about. The car handled and drove extremely well.

So after some chatting with the lovely sales lady about getting some bits and bobs sorted on it I am now the owner of a Clio 182 FF in Racing Blue, will be picking it up next week some time I guess.

Very excited.

Congratulations mate!

Clio 182
Congrats mate, I pick mine up tommorrow and can't wait! :D

How much did it cost you all-told then, and did you get a warranty with it?

RB 182 FF
£7800 in the end, PX'd my clio 1.2 billabong, and I got Renault Warranty for the time I own the car.

Pics will be done once I cleaned it because I bet whilst they will clean it, it will still be a bit dirty.

Clio 182
Nice, how many miles has this one done, and did it have any things needed attended to mechanically or in terms of interior/bodywork?

Last edited:
  SLK 350
We got onto a dual carriageway and the sales person looked around and told me to boot it.. Which I didnt really do right away but I did gradually stick my toe down, it went well and you can definately tell when it comes on cam plus the sound is pretty dam sexy. The trouble is I cant help but feel it isnt as fast as I was hoping, I was hoping for a little more lower down. Maybe its just a characteristic? Maybe you can help?

Not quite sure what people expect from NA cars, a car with a relatively low torque is always going to need more revs for peak power.

If you want power low down, buy a turbo, or a TDI.

Congrats!

Get your £5 paid and check out eddies threads on buyers guides in the guides section so you can check the car one more time before you part with your hard earned!

Oh, and although I've got an iceberg one you deffo have the best colour!

GT86, 335, Westfield
I have just upgraded to a 182 from a 1.2.

Drive the 182 like you do the 1.2 and you will really get some speed:

1. Rev the engine to the tred line
2. Slow in fast out

You won't be dissapointed.

If a sales person is serious about selling you a car ask if you can have the car for the afternoon. If he's not serious move on and ask the next. Remember the customer is king.

Mike

Not quite sure what people expect from NA cars, a car with a relatively low torque is always going to need more revs for peak power.

If you want power low down, buy a turbo, or a TDI.

When I used to own my Punto GT, I was looking to buy a 182 brand new so took the demo car out, and it felt slow as hell lol. Even the 5k kick felt like nothing at all.

It's what your used to driving - how fast a car feels.