ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test Drove a Clio Cup i am thinking of buying...

RSi 8v,1.816v,172cup
Hi all,

I had a look at a really nice example of a 172 Clio Cup near me. I have been after one for a while. This one is ticking all my boxes so far.

The guy selling it has told me of an issue he has had which he has tried to fix to no avail. It is running 17inch alloys which neither of us are that keen on lol

Right when the car is stationary and you turn the wheel it clicks, creaks and knocks. He has had it up on a ramp and it doesnt make the noise. So only happens under load. Other issue he said is it has an intermitten misfire?? Sometimes has no power when pulling away from traffic lights.

Any body have any ideas??

​Cheers

RSi 8v,1.816v,172cup
Thanks all for the replys.....I love this site already!

Bushes is it a visible inspection? I'm assuming none of the above jobs are massively expensive

RSi 8v,1.816v,172cup
History is pretty good on it. Has had loads replaced with receipt to prove. Really tidy. Yes wrong wheels and lights......something i can sort.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Walk away.

Buy one with wheels you do like and that doesn't have potentially hard to find knocks and bangs.

It's not like there's any kind of shortage of second hand Clios!

RSi 8v,1.816v,172cup
172 cups there seems to be a shortage.

Walk away even if the asking price isn't massive?

Nice examples of 172 Cups are becoming more rare yes. I think I'd rather go for a nicer normal 172 then a dog of a 172 Cup, and believe me I'm very bias towards The Cups!! Lol

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
I agree with Emma... There really aren't any decent Cups about. Especially down our way!

RSi 8v,1.816v,172cup
I don't feel this is a dog....obviously I'm not keen on the choice of wheel and size or angel eyes....but it's externally really really good. The guys been very honest. If it's only wanting some bushes and either lamda/injector....then for a little over 1k is it really a dog??

TTRS, 172 Cup track
It's up for 1500 with s**t wheels, s**t lights, no dephaser done plus running issues. You can find 172 cups without those problems for 1500-2000.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
yep, spend a little more and get a decent one. sounds like its been owned by a chav tbqfh. walk away.

RSi 8v,1.816v,172cup
Very nice mate. I am wanting a cup model yes. I have bought one. Yes against opinions, had a mechanic friend look over it with me and for what i payed i am really quite chuffed. Yes slightly rough around the edges but hey it is a 52 plate. So now i need to pay up and become a fully fledged member.

Think i may go with Rota GT3s as they are insanely light weight!!

Cheers for your help and comments