ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

That slow build thread - Clio 172 Cup (Sprint/Track Car)

This is the first build thread that i've ever put together but i thought it about time i document the work done to my Clio over the next few months/years as i've always wished i did it with other cars but left it too late and could never remember where i started etc.

Updates may be a little slow. Life is a little hetic at the moment with a 7 month old, house renovations and wedding party next year! I'll do my best to keep this up to date as i go even if it's just small updates on what i'm planning next.

Background
Over the last 5 years i've been spending any spare time/cash on a MK1 Golf GTI that i picked up from Bristol as a rolling shell. It started as just drop and engine in and use it as a weekend toy but turned into essentially replacing everything and getting carried away in the progress. Long story short, after wanting a set of BBS wheels since i was a young lad i finally got my hand on some, got them fully refurbed and onto the car. I think they set the car off perfectly (appreciate they're marmite, my wife hates them!) the only problem is, it's stopped me wanting to ever drive the car hard in the worry that i'll damage the wheels amogst the fact that a 36 year old golf isn't the safest of B road toys!

Swam_2-2.jpg

The Car
I've always liked the 172/182s and always thought about buying one at somepoint as a bit of a toy. So on a bit of an inpulse i found myself on a 10 hour round trip to Doncaster from South Wales to pick up a 172 Cup sprint car. In equally as impulsive fashion i also decided to pick up a trailer along the way which was a brave/stupid move but thank god it all worked out ok.

Here's a picture of the car on the way back...
1.jpg

Spec
  • Renault Clio 172 Cup
  • 134k miles
  • 53 plate
  • MSA logbooked
  • Cams (brand unknown)
  • Induction kit
  • Ktec exhaust including decat
  • BC DR coilovers (10kg front, 8kg rears)
  • PMS shifter
  • PS09 battery fitted behind passenger seat
  • Mark Fish full 6 point roll cage
  • Bimarco seat / JF extra low seat mounts etc
  • TRS harness
  • TD1.2s with Khumo V70s for sprinting
  • Standard wheels with PS4
  • Polycarb(?) front and rear windows
  • Various polybushed items
  • Lots of additional parts etc
I'm sure theres other bits i haven't mentioned in the above but essentially the chap that use to own the car (not sure if he's on here pretty sure he was) had a pretty successful year at sprinting but had a baby on the way so didn't have the storage/time to work on it any more.

He fully stripped the car including cutting the interior of the doors and boot out to lighten it as much as possible.

Pictures from the advert
68817858_1321323741370482_1142309980448227328_o.jpg
69383219_1321323754703814_9199700225818624000_o.jpg
70275045_1502879049854390_5590350636727140352_n.jpg
70329402_387979115226606_7509806250415095808_n.jpg
70587629_757915971326201_4123486354430492672_n.jpg
70761702_2243615639262893_4077037524369801216_n.jpg

The original plan for the car was to get it onto the track and do a little sprinting in between with the potential of also getting it back road worthy for a trip to the 'ring. So with that in mind, there was a few bits that i needed such as washer bottles, interior wiring and some other bits. So in another crazy moment whilst trawling facebook i stumbed upon @Filters old clios which were only down the road so went to pick them up too..

More Clios??
First donor
This was the first i picked up from Andrew, previously crashed but had a good engine and gearbox in along with some running gear. Picked it up on a Friday, engine out on the Saturday (in the rain) and scrapped on the Tuesday.
2.jpg

3.jpg

Second donor
Havent actually got any pictures of this one unfortuately, picked this up on the Saturday morning. No engine but seems to have everything else including wiring loom fully labeled up if i wanted to put the engine in. Not sure what my plan is with this car at the moment. At the moment it's still sat on the trailer storing a lot of the parts from the silver 172. I'm sure it will come in use at some point but have debated selling it a few times to get some money back and save it being sat around knowing that someone can have some good use out of it.

Back to the original 172
When i picked up the first clio, a lot of the parts we off the car in an attempt to save some weight. In the thought of storage and because i like to see out the back of the car the first thing i did was to refit the mirrors and put the side skirts back on. I've got the cup spoiler which will also go back on at some point but isn't essential.
5.jpg

Job list
  • Replace doors with uncut doors to fit track door cards on to - Done
  • Fit door cards - Not bought yet
  • Remove and refurb calipers - Refurb kit bought from Biggred
  • Replace front and rear discs and pads - Bought from RTR
  • Fit braided brake lines - Bought from RTR
  • Full service (Gearbox, spark plugs, oil etc) - All bought and ready to go
  • Refit top dash, maybe get it flocked once test fitted
  • Relocate kill switch to dash - Dash pod from CMcomposites may be?
  • Re do wiring for battery - Bought awaiting for delivery.
  • Replace gearbox?

Current issues
Battery wiring
When i bought the car i was told that there is sometimes an issue with starting. Upon investigation i can see why and have a plan in place to get it sorted. At the moment the negative/earth wire from the battery is about 1-2m long and the cabling is too thin for both +ive and -ive. I've ordered 4awg red and black cable which will replace this over the next couple of weekends. Although it does work, it can be improved, esspecially as french wiring is already known for how s**t it is!

More concerningly was the lack of inline fuses used for the +ive cable. In fact, there are zero fuses at the moment which is a big no so that has meant that this job is the next on the list to get sorted. Mega fuses, cabling, criming tool, round connectors etc all in the post!

Gearbox
It's difficult/impossible to get the car from 1st to 2nd if above 4/5k rpm, i've spoken with northloop amongst some other members and realised there could be a few causes of this. My plan for the short term is to drop in the gearbox i got off the silver donor and will likely send away the old box for a refurb and potentially a diff fitted if funds allow.

I think that's everything for now, will try keep this updated as much as possible but please bare with me!

Sam

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The original plan for the car was to get it onto the track and do a little sprinting in between with the potential of also getting it back road worthy for a trip to the 'ring. So with that in mind, there was a few bits that i needed such as washer bottles, interior wiring and some other bits. So in another crazy moment whilst trawling facebook i stumbed upon @Filters old clios which were only down the road so went to pick them up too..

More Clios??
First donor
This was the first i picked up from Andrew, previously crashed but had a good engine and gearbox in along with some running gear. Picked it up on a Friday, engine out on the Saturday (in the rain) and scrapped on the Tuesday.
View attachment 1439003
View attachment 1439004
Second donor
Havent actually got any pictures of this one unfortuately, picked this up on the Saturday morning. No engine but seems to have everything else including wiring loom fully labeled up if i wanted to put the engine in. Not sure what my plan is with this car at the moment. At the moment it's still sat on the trailer storing a lot of the parts from the silver 172. I'm sure it will come in use at some point but have debated selling it a few times to get some money back and save it being sat around knowing that someone can have some good use out of it.

Back to the original 172
When i picked up the first clio, a lot of the parts we off the car in an attempt to save some weight. In the thought of storage and because i like to see out the back of the car the first thing i did was to refit the mirrors and put the side skirts back on. I've got the cup spoiler which will also go back on at some point but isn't essential.
View attachment 1439005
Job list
  • Replace doors with uncut doors to fit track door cards on to - Done
  • Fit door cards - Not bought yet
  • Remove and refurb calipers - Refurb kit bought from Biggred
  • Replace front and rear discs and pads - Bought from RTR
  • Fit braided brake lines - Bought from RTR
  • Full service (Gearbox, spark plugs, oil etc) - All bought and ready to go
  • Refit top dash, maybe get it flocked once test fitted
  • Relocate kill switch to dash - Dash pod from CMcomposites may be?
  • Re do wiring for battery - Bought awaiting for delivery.
  • Replace gearbox?

Current issues
Battery wiring
When i bought the car i was told that there is sometimes an issue with starting. Upon investigation i can see why and have a plan in place to get it sorted. At the moment the negative/earth wire from the battery is about 1-2m long and the cabling is too thin for both +ive and -ive. I've ordered 4awg red and black cable which will replace this over the next couple of weekends. Although it does work, it can be improved, esspecially as french wiring is already known for how s**t it is!

More concerningly was the lack of inline fuses used for the +ive cable. In fact, there are zero fuses at the moment which is a big no so that has meant that this job is the next on the list to get sorted. Mega fuses, cabling, criming tool, round connectors etc all in the post!

Gearbox
It's difficult/impossible to get the car from 1st to 2nd if above 4/5k rpm, i've spoken with northloop amongst some other members and realised there could be a few causes of this. My plan for the short term is to drop in the gearbox i got off the silver donor and will likely send away the old box for a refurb and potentially a diff fitted if funds allow.

I think that's everything for now, will try keep this updated as much as possible but please bare with me!

Sam

Don't you f*cking dare sell it :ROFLMAO:...if you intend on selling it mate, let me know and I'll have it back without question!
It's a good solid shell and I hated having to get rid of it but needed the cash at the time.

Get the box in from the silver one and send the other to Nloop if I were you, always happy to lend a hand with things so just give us a shout if you need a hand.
Bare in mind I only have one good one though PMSL.

Don't you f*cking dare sell it :ROFLMAO:...if you intend on selling it mate, let me know and I'll have it back without question!
It's a good solid shell and I hated having to get rid of it but needed the cash at the time.

Get the box in from the silver one and send the other to Nloop if I were you, always happy to lend a hand with things so just give us a shout if you need a hand.
Bare in mind I only have one good one though PMSL.
Ha, thought i may hear from you! Not a problem at all mate, if i do decide to let it go you'll be the first person i let know!

That's the plan, swap the boxes and in the meantime get the other sorted. Want to get on the track first so may leave the diff until a later date anyway so dropping the silver one in give me the ability to make up my mind/save some cash.

Quick update
Here's the bits i ordered from @George@RTR_Parts. Great service, price and quick delivery - Would recommend him to anyone. Thanks George!
  • Front discs - Brembo HC - Didn't see the need to go for the Max or Xtra discs
  • Front pads - Ferodo DS1.11
  • Rear discs - Genuine Renault discs/bearings
  • Rear pads - Ferodo DS2500
  • Fluid - Ferodo Racing
  • Set of Goodridge braided lines
  • Set of plugs
  • New hub nuts / spacers
These will all be changed when i have the calipers off for the refurb. Whilst i'm there i will likely replace the front bearings to save a job in the future. Any recommendations on which brand is best or is it the same with the rears and stick with genuine?

20191003_222120.jpg

These also arrived today....

Team Dynamic 1.2 Pro Race ET35 and correct size so no adaptors. The other TDs i have are ET40 so these will sit 5mm further out. The plan is to have a set with semi slicks on and another with wets or one set for track work and other for the SS sprint/hillclimb tyres. I'd been looking online and second hand sets but sometimes it's just better to have new and at least know that they are all straight etc.

Next is the minefield to find some tyres to put on these. Opinions are everywhere, don't know whether to bite the bullet and put R888s straight on or something a little cheaper for the first few running in track days etc.

20191030_131026.jpg

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
No worries Sam, happy to help mate. Those will sort your brakes out (y)

I can supply the front bearings aswel, SNR are the OE fit and ones to use, drop me a PM i'll get those out for you if not got them already @Sam1008