ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

the ’clunk’, and heel n toe/blipping

VW Potato

Of those 172/182/Cup owners with the clunk under acceleration - how many of you heel and toe or blip on downshifts? The reason I ask is because Ive collected my Clio and the service chappy said that my engine mounts were about the worst hed seen. This troubled me as I dont wheelspin about and Im mechanically quite symperthetic. But, I do heel and toe and wondered whether the engine rocks a bit when you do that, maybe leading to premature failure of the mounts? Im not technical so this might be me adding two and two and getting five, but just a thought. Ive done this on all my cars in the past (Nova SR, Uno Turbo, the Golf GTis, and the Alfa) and never had a mount fail, but it got me wondering. What do you guys think please?

g

tiTTy & SV650

if you drop from 5th to 2nd a lot you could do some damage there but I doubt heel toeing will have any impact.

VW Potato

cheers chaps. I guess my worry - and the question i put to the service chap - was whether my engine mounts would be shot again at say 60k. Ok, not really a fair question for him to answer, but a concern nonetheless.

I guess i also feel a bit bad about this. Its the first time Ive done mechanical damage to a car, and Ive had it from new so i cant blame anyone else. I even made my Golf clutch last 110,000 miles which i was quite impressed with :)

g

LOTS!

... although not really your fault if the mounts are general sh*te as suggested above?

On a seperate note, for us less in the know people, what is heel&toe-ing??? :oops:

The Jinx

Braking with yer heel whilst blipping the throttle with your toes. It helps match the engine speed to the transmission speeds, which reduces wear.

You dont always heel and toe in that way though as it depends on the pedal layout.

VaVa

I blip the throttle on downshifts with the outside of my foot. Still not very good at it mind. When you get it right and pewrform a seamless gearchange under hard braking you realise why people do it. So much smoother.

Embarrassed to say

The high driving position though is such that i can only heel and toe if im really pressing the brakes down hard. Its not like the elise where your leg is stretched out making it easier to do.

So is it good to blip the throttle (when not heel n toeing) before down changes to make the change smoother? My driving instructor just taught me to let the clutch up with no throttle application however i had a BMW with SMG2 and that would blip the throttle on all down changes whether the brake was applied or not.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 11 April 2005

Braking with yer heel whilst blipping the throttle with your toes. It helps match the engine speed to the transmission speeds, which reduces wear.

You dont always heel and toe in that way though as it depends on the pedal layout.
much easier to brake with your big toe and roll your foot to blip the throttle (so its the outside of your foot touching the accel pedal)

C B A (clutch brake accel pedals)

l \ (left foot and right foot)

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Zydered on 11 April 2005

impossible in my v6 as the accelerator is much lower than the brake pedal!!
its hard to explain, but it is possible

imagine driving with bare feet

right foot big toe on the brake (toes pointing towards rear view mirror)

little toe/outside off foot on the accel pedal

ahh sod it ill go take a pic!!!!