ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 1.2 drop out.....

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Wel after owning the 1.2 for 2 1/2 years i just wanted abit more power, did alot of research on how to do it, and after Fred mentiond he had done the same but using all 1.2 running gear it made sense to go ahead with it :approve:

So off we went, ont the 30th of May me and dajones went up to the Scottish borders of Galashiels(sp) we set off about 8.30am arrived up there just after 1pm then had to wait for steve, met steve grabbed all the goodies and off home we went, i was shatterd, beeing in the passenger seat is hard work as you have nothing to do just sleep.

that was it for a while, so as the engine was in the back garden i decided to fiddle with it, mainly doing small comestics, like trying to polish the plenum & fuel rail guard but they ended up wrong and ended up like this

SNC00066.jpg

Nice Fiat yellow :)

and the engine block got hammerite black
SNC00089.jpg

next was to ditch the PAS and AC off the engine, didnt take that long and since i cant run power steering on the 1.2 with the 2L lump it was dead weight, no picture of this as i forgot :eek:

so time was ticking, booked to do the conversion in july as i was off from the 20th until 26th,

Bought a Cup gearbox from Louis which to this present hasnt arrived :( should be here friday tho, so glad thats beeing sorted. then went to pick up a engine crane from Rhyl from a guy on another forum who lent me it for £30 for 2-3weeks..

now after loads of problems finding the decent place to do the conversion we decided on my mates garage, but i had to pay £260 just to secure as he had lost his wallet :S so now im 260 down but gettin it back tommorow which will get me the parts.

so on the list was ordering parts, contacted renault to get a new mount/alternator bracket/gaskets and a few bolts, and also got done the bonnet latch which only took 10min :approve:

Now it began, saturday i started to rip the front end off, went from this

SNC00141.jpg

to this

SNC00142.jpg

SNC00143.jpg

it was finaly happening :cool:

then it was quick, we managed to get the engine out in no time, this beeing my first time removing a engine it was a good way to learn, so after about 2-3 hours it ended up like this

SNC00144.jpg

SNC00145.jpg

job done :approve:

now i remeber reading on BenP's thread that the subframe had to be dropped out to get the 2l in, so off it came, was suprised to see that its only 4 bolts to hold it on, but needed a way to hold the steering arm on so a bungie cord came to the rescue

SNC00160.jpg

and off the subframe

SNC00166.jpg

About 5.30 dajones arrived up from swansea as he was sorting the loom's inside and out,

so he cracked on straight away :)

SNC00158.jpg

SNC00163.jpg

SNC00165.jpg

next day we started to tidy up, bit of a mess in the garage and then had a bit of a dilemma, as i wasnt sure if we had to remove the brake pot square thingy lol,

SNC00150.jpg

so ended up not touching it,

had the exhaust hangin for a while, so final got round to do it.

as the local garage had welded the back box onto the centre pipe meant i had to drop the rear axle to get it off,

and i started to angle grinde the welded joint, but dan wanted a go so

SNC00149.jpg

more to come when i upload pics

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
looks intresting, you letting the dvla no about the engine swap?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
looks intresting, you letting the dvla no about the engine swap?

Yes ovcourse i am, cant risk loosing my licence tbh,

@ jonno, urm so far about a grand ish, now i look back yes i could have had a sport if i just saved abit more etc, but its something i want to learn on aswell..

Cro

Meg'd r27
Good job dude, welcome to the cheap tax club :rasp: What way you gonna run the alternator then?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Haha just how cheap fella ;)

well i have money issue's at the mo mate ows me £260 t**t tbh, but should get that tmoz, then just pick up parts from renault which includes a Renault 5 Alternator Mount :)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Oh aye I remember you telling me that already, gettin rid of the pas then with that setup?
Tax stays the same as the 1.2 :approve:

Clio 182FF
Hats off. Have respect for anyone who can take a car to bits and know what they're doing. Just looks like a load of tubes and wires to moi :)

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Oh aye I remember you telling me that already, gettin rid of the pas then with that setup?
Tax stays the same as the 1.2 :approve:

Ye fella, iv allready taken the pas off, but just waiting on the parts from renault, i should be going to pick them up tommorow, but then i need to source a belt, forgot to order one in through renault :eek:

Hats off. Have respect for anyone who can take a car to bits and know what they're doing. Just looks like a load of tubes and wires to moi :)

cheers fella, well tbh im abit like you i havnt got a clue what most do, but as iv seen people do it before like pulling driveshafts off etc im just a quick learner.

when mines done we will have to meet up :D

yee awesome dude, but when you doing yours ??
btw you will have a pm in a sec ;)

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
sounds good hutchie, but when will this happen ;) lol,

well since the subframe was out as it also need a hole drilling, i gave it a quick rub down with my wire brush, not sure wether to hammerite it bright colour or just black hmm,

Btw fred mentiond that a hole needed drilling, were abouts ?

SNC00164.jpg

Clio 182FF
Question though. Prob a noob question at that. Which would be faster; a converted 1.2 to 2.0 litre Clio or a 172/182?

Are 1.2's any lighter or is the Cup etc... lighter still?

alien green rs133
aux belt will be posted out to you tomorrow :D

and hopefully ill make progress with mine in the next few weeks, i got the inlet manifold to finish matching up, its now welded :D

hutchie any idea on the cost/ part number of the alternator mount? he has the R5 mount but theres a 172 mount aswell i think the bit that the alternator "hinges" on if you get me

ITB'd MK1
hutchie any idea on the cost/ part number of the alternator mount? he has the R5 mount but theres a 172 mount aswell i think the bit that the alternator "hinges" on if you get me

you'll find that on a lot of renaults, same bracket used on the F3R/P, F7R/P, 172 cup and more.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
aux belt sent first class, its 15mm shorter than 825 sure it will be fine :D

nice one fella just hope it will fit now :)

wel nothing much done really since past update, but did a trial fit on the alternator and it didnt work, so came back home and noticed that this one were James was doing into his R5 had a little mount on the engine block

IMG_4456.jpg

now i think i can sort this out myself, so il give that a whizz today with a angle grinder.

also a few parts came:
new upper gearbox mount as mine had a crack in it,
new manifold and inlet gasket
bolts and long bolt + R5 gtx alternator mount

SNC00169.jpg

there was nothing much i could have done in essence outside the car as im waiting for gearbox and engine loom to arrive, should ov been here by now but louis has had his fair whack of troubles posting the gearbox, as no-one would touch it due to have/had oil inside :dead:

so i decided to remove the old bush from the mount today, and by crist that b**ch is hard to budge

this is the one im talkin about:
SNC00171.jpg

How do you remove it? theres a 18mm bolt underneath that wont budge even when iv bolted the mount back onto the car, tried using my blow torch just to heat it up abit but still no luck, so i left it at that until i could get a proper solution...

next on the job list was fitting back the inside, decided to remove all the sound deading and just use the foam that underneath saves abit of weight but still has the confort,

The foam part was wet when we removed it from the car, made me wonder if im gettin a small leak somewhere, or its just condensation :S not sure but i will keep an eye out for it tho,

cables all run through the seat brackets as there holes in them looks much tidy now

SNC00178.jpg

Quick question tho, how the heck do you put the bottom half of the dash back on ?

seems the stalk controllers are in the way, removed the stereo one but cant do the others,

Oh and for people who have a slammed clio, you better check your inner arches ;)
this is what my tyres have done, probably if i kept it same height for about 6 more months then im sure i would have a hole tbh

passenger:
SNC00154.jpg

Driver:
SNC00155.jpg

il be deffo lifting the car up now

things to do:

Sort out 4 rust patches with hammerite
fit the dash back
remove head liner to sort out leaky sunroof
staightn up the sills (bendy as hell)
sort alternator bracket to block
make a ecu holder

+ more when i remember :)

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
got the belt hutch, but just by looking at it i can say its to small :( il just try it on when i go down to the shed in a min :)

just sent ya a text, i have the gearbox now at mine, the stalks are easy :p
and danny any idea on which car could be the cheapest :p as the kangoo main mount is cheaper yet its the same ?

R5 GTT
The part number for the block where the alt attaches to the block is

82 00 031 832 - £44.17 inc VAT - Upper Alternator Block Adaptor,

77 00 718 613 - £23.50 inc VAT – Long Zinc Alternator Bracket (Adjustable),
77 03 101 094 - £3.90 inc VAT- Alternator long bolt,
77 03 101 073 - £1.56 inc VAT - Alternator Bolt washer,
IMG_4456.jpg

R5 GTT
Or you could get the upper block of a Volvo 440/480 turbo with the 1/7 F series lump in or the 1.7 GTX R5 n/a as it is the same part, also the adjustable bracket of those engines will also help you matey

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Wel i did a couple of hours today but it was too hot, so most ov the time i was just sitting outside with a bottle of stella, lucky i havnt got a car at the moment tbh :)

Hutchie the belt is to small at the moment, but il get more parts orderd and the belt should fit perfectly then ;)

in the time i was there i decided il do a custom mount for the alternator,
started off with the mount which held on the alternator & aircon unit on a normal 172, didnt think to measure just looked and though ye that will do :)

so off i went, had to angle grinde a few parts to make the part fit in the vice,

took about 2hours with a angle grinder and saw, was abit tricky due to the disc ov the grinder beeing to small cut through but managed it

SNC00186.jpg

final product

[ATTACH=full]568183[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]568184[/ATTACH]

not bad imo, dont like to use the grinder incase the disc flies off :o

also painted all the rust parts on the front end with hammerite, looks abit silly but if it stops anymore rust appearing then its a job well done,

aslo i began to sort the sunroof, the fiberglass roof was light but crist was a right pain to get out,

now im thinkin of gettin another roof done, fill the roof with foam and use a dark cloth cover, not sure yet, il have to ask dear mother to sort something out :)

@ James..

cheers for the info fella, im pm'd you about the bits you mentiond, as im unsure why i would need them, :o

and finaly the gearbox arrived, so now i just need to get clutch ready and 2 mounts :)

[ATTACH=full]568185[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• SNC00187.jpg
    SNC00187.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 44
  • SNC00188.jpg
    SNC00188.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 42
  • SNC00182.jpg
    SNC00182.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 76
  alien green rs133
i had two choices with the belt, 822 or 810 and i though well if 825 is too long 810 will do and you will manage to get alternator in correct place, i have faith :D

hutchie

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
havnt really done much this week tbh, as im just waiting for stuff to arrive etc,

got these through the post last couple of days :)

Manifold - just waitin for my cat to arrive now

SNC00192.jpg

also engine loom which i had to get another one from steve as he snipped some wires off the last one lol, old one is the furthest away and new one is the biggy

SNC00195.jpg

My twisted dogbone mount which i got off a Cs member, have some polybushes to replace original ones

SNC00197.jpg

On the dogbone how do you remove the standard bushes?? seems to be well nudge in there..

and finaly 2 sets of Cliosport Calipers :D

now just need some brackets made to fit these now..

SNC00199.jpg

need a few more items before engine goes back in, im reallly slow but it has its edge walkin home 4miles each day is killing my feet but burnin the cals ;) haha