ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
So i haven't really worked on the car all weekend but i did collect the airbox to do a bit on... ie refit the bodies and trumpets to it.

so i got all the bits together and sat at home in comfort to begin...
IMG_0664.jpg

the bodies and trumpets
IMG_0665.jpg

the airbox
IMG_0666.jpg

and the bolts, i went out and bought a load of new stainless bolts so they would be a bit stronger, i also have threadlock at the ready...
IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

i sorted all the bolts to go with each trumpet...
IMG_0672.jpg

to begin then, first you have to remove each end piece of the box to get access to the inside...
IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

with this done you can then get to all the bolt holes inside, i have to put 2 bolts in per body to attach it them to the box...
all well and good, as you can see here...
IMG_0674.jpg

until i got to the last body, i am thinking that when i had the box re-inforced it has pulled it slightly as the bolt holes are slightly off, tried varuious things but am really struggling, have now had to step away from it as am getting pretty angry, any suggestions welcome.

Christ that looks like a b*****d to work in!

Consider enlarging the holes in the trumpets to allow a little movement, however you want to be careful as it would be very easy to end up with a trumpet misaligned on the port.

Plan b would probably be to remake the base plate.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Pisser :(
It may of warped slightly when it was welded / heated up?!

Thats what i was thinking, i have dismantled it all again now which was a pain as i had threadlocked all the other bolts, proper fed up with it tbh... Lol

Due to some unforseen circumstances this build could go on for a fair old while now and maybe knowhere near my initial finishing date hope, pretty gutted, various thoughts have gone through my mind today, including breaking the car and selling it all...

340i
If its only VERY SLIGHTLY off centre for the bolt holes to line up I would be tempted to enlarge to bolt holes on the trumpet, but as Tom said that could misalign the trumpet with the port if its too much!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
If its only VERY SLIGHTLY off centre for the bolt holes to line up I would be tempted to enlarge to bolt holes on the trumpet, but as Tom said that could misalign the trumpet with the port if its too much!

If anything will be drilled it will be the airbox, that will keep anything else in-line. However this is going to my mechanic lol... He can sort it out i hope. We'll see.

Hopefully the love will come back... Thanks for the support guys xxx

340i
memories!!!

That Holiday / Trip / TTE was on a whole different level... simply brilliant (it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my chest when I think of it :eek:)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
mechanic? such a dirty word that

sorry, motorsport technician

Enlarge the holes by .2mm and try again? Also stainless bolts arnt strong in the slightest, black 12.9 ht bolts would be the best bet for strength

Yer i thought about doing that, but i think the rear of the box is warped slightly, there is no point in rushing in and doing things, will get various views first. as for the bolts, i keep saying stainless.... but they are not, i took in the old black HT bolts and asked for something stronger, so far i have only rounded 1 where as the black rounded alot easier...

memories!!!
That Holiday / Trip / TTE was on a whole different level... simply brilliant (it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my chest when I think of it :eek:)

it was indeed, seems so long and so far away now though, hopefully this year will be just as good (in a different way...lol)

Qashcow
I too hope so, it should be pretty damn fun I reckon, just with a smaller chance of driving off cliff sides

340i
There will still be plenty of this....

DSC_5346.jpg

because I know you dirty ***** love it x

But with less Clio's and more ladies.... this time ;) POW.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Oh hope it gets sorted. Possibly speak to rs fab about it and see what they could do!

Surly there's lots more to do on the car. When I get fed up with one thing I take a break and do something :) which is why I havnt finished my loom :(

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Oh hope it gets sorted. Possibly speak to rs fab about it and see what they could do!
Surly there's lots more to do on the car. When I get fed up with one thing I take a break and do something :) which is why I havnt finished my loom :(

loads of prep for paint, paint the rear arches and beam, work out how to attach all the interior bits, collect subframe, polybush etc, the list is actually endless...

TrackCar & F30 330d
My list was huge until recently and I've had some really productive days. You just need a few days like that and you'll feel better. When you out the subframe on it's all up hill from there :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Have spoken to Caged Laser Engineering today and all my powdercoating is done...
will be collecting it tomorrow morning, good timing as the missus is away all weekend, updates will follow this weekend.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
so i managed to get over to Caged Laser Engineering at about 10.30ish this morning so was back to work on the clio by 11, good times....

before i say anymore i must say that this was totally inspired by chris (crispy), great idea from a top bloke who also called back when i buzzed him with a little issue, thank you sir.

I am very happy with the finish, was all wrapped in bubble wrap too, Caged also welded in the wishbone sleeves and then pushed the bushes in (good service)
so back to the unit and let the work begin... all the bits, including all the Powerflex bushes i will need...

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

so working my way around the subframe i started with the wishbones...bushes all greased and slipped in, some took a bit of convincing..

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

next the rear mounts / sandwich plates to hold the ARB, what a pain to really squeeze these in, a large set of mole grips and 4 hands were needed, anyways, job done....

IMG_0691.jpg

and finally the ends of the ARB....slide in and clamp, no problem.

IMG_0689.jpg

all good in one piece ready to go back on,

IMG_0687.jpg

to get it back on the car i got 2 mates to help me also, made light work of it really with the only hard bit being attaching the steering rack back to it but i got there in the end... had to sit it up in, then drop it back down a bit to get to certain bolt holes....
sat up in and all done up with the braces back on

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

then to put the dogbone mount back on...

IMG_0695.jpg

and all the attachments on the wishbones / track rod ends...

IMG_0694.jpg

and jobs a good'un.... very happy with todays progress and how it looks on the car,

IMG_0698.jpg

i did start to think about doing the brakes aswell today as the front end is up in the air but i thought i will quite whilst i am ahead....
these will be getting sorted next, along with painting the rear beam and fitting the rear Whiteline ARB (now also powdercoated yellow)...

IMG_0696.jpg

Carbon Lorraine RCE6 for the fronts
Carbon Lorraine RC5+ for the rears
and lots of nice MOTUL brake fluid.....

340i
Looking good sir ;)

I would guess you have better aerodynamics / slipstream with the powdercoated subframe, the paint is smoother so less drag... Yeah?

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
looks awesome mate. been following the thread a while :) i had my subframe out at the weekend putting powerflex bushes in, ill second that the rear ones are a ball ache! this will be epic when its done :cool: looking forward to the end result :D