ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Golf Gti

M2 Competition
My first thread on the Golf, have had it a few weeks now.

Washed last night, and then went for a hoon in it this evening. Took some back roads from Reading to Basingstoke, and then the A339 to Alton for those that know it. 10 miles or so of amazing twisty tarmac (one of Tiffs favourite roads apparently!)

Out on my travels i think a fair few had the same idea, passed a Porsche Carrera GT (wow, first one ive seen on the roads, the noise! :evil:) and Caterham in convoy, Vx200t, Asbo Fst etc etc. Everyone was out!

What a car the Golf is, incredibly fast, and sticks to the road very well. Great fun to drive, and very civilised day to day also. Think it averaged around 21mpg while playing.

Took a few pics in a layby off the A339 on my phone cam as the sun was setting;

DSC00680.jpg

DSC00679.jpg

DSC00678.jpg

DSC00675.jpg

DSC00682.jpg

Comments welcome,

Dan :)

120d M Sport
Lovely car. As you say, very civilised, I've had a few passenger rides in one upto 100mph and it was unbelivably refined

Looks like it could do with some decent rubber?

Z4
What's the difference between that and an Edition 30?

the edition 30 is better!

I think the golf gtis are ok, but they're nothing like how a hot hatch should be...

Too refined, too boring... saying that they do most things well and make a good daily driver.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The Golf GTi is not boring. Easy to fall into that trap as it's so refined. But it's also very capable and entertaining once let off the leash. I'd rather drive on down a b-road than any 197.

Prong

ClioSport Club Member
Nice car. Always liked the GTI's

I've seen that Porsche Carrera GT going through Bracknell a few times, looks and sounds immense

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
looks nice, is it purple or brown?? looks purply and brownish in some pics :) do want to have a go in one though :) and 21mpg! LOL i dont get that if i drive like a granny! as its getting warmer we should do a shire meet again mate!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Looks lovely mate, I need to take a trip down that road, been planning to for ages and always forget!

M2 Competition
Cheers for the replies guys.

Luke, next time im heading down have to come with! Thinking of doing the next run early morning.

the edition 30 is better!

I think the golf gtis are ok, but they're nothing like how a hot hatch should be...

Too refined, too boring... saying that they do most things well and make a good daily driver.

I thought it was boring if im honest... until i went fast in it. Its a very Jekyll and hyde car, when you open it up the handling is great fun! The back end can be quite playful. It was so good, i did the same 10 mile stretch of road 4 times :eek:

You're right in that it doesnt feel like a hot hatch though. To drive its more like a mini fast audi if that makes sense?

The Golf GTi is not boring. Easy to fall into that trap as it's so refined. But it's also very capable and entertaining once let off the leash. I'd rather drive on down a b-road than any 197.

As above, spot on.

Nice car. Always liked the GTI's

I've seen that Porsche Carrera GT going through Bracknell a few times, looks and sounds immense

Silvery one, looked and sounded fantastic! From a distance i thought it would be a Noble, didnt expect a GT!

looks nice, is it purple or brown?? looks purply and brownish in some pics :) do want to have a go in one though :) and 21mpg! LOL i dont get that if i drive like a granny! as its getting warmer we should do a shire meet again mate!

Its black, but very metallicy. A little bit like black gold from a 182, but with a bit more gold in it i think.

Shire meet sounds like a plan.

Looks nice is it big enough to holster the guns though ;)

Ha! Funny you should say that, as the seats are pretty narrow. I kinda sit perched forwards in them as i dont fit properly. Will keep an eye out for other options for the seats. Im looking at FRS' too...

M2 Competition
Lovely car. As you say, very civilised, I've had a few passenger rides in one upto 100mph and it was unbelivably refined

Looks like it could do with some decent rubber?

Current tyres were replaced just before i got it, so am tempted to get a few more miles out of them. Will probably ebay them once theyre off, as fronts are almost new.

The fronts are Wanli's (?) and the rears are venturas. Good choice in rubber previous owner! Not a bad thing though, as i get the impression it was owned by someone that hadnt ragged it. The tyres are ok in the dry, but shocking doesnt describe them in the wet.

Will be getting a full set of Eagle F1 Asymmetrics shortly... should improve the handling shed loads.

Ive thought about 18's, but will stick with the 17's i think for handlings sake.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Ive thought about 18's, but will stick with the 17's i think for handlings sake.
Try and get a shot in one if you can. The 18's sharpen up the front end, and the ride doesn't suffer. They are a b**ch for corrosion and bubbling though.

M2 Competition
Ah ok, that doesnt sound bad. Will have a go in Daves and see what that rides like.

I think either way will stick a set of new rubber on these wheels, as house move beckons so will keep the cash behind me. Could splash out on wheels for it in a years time or similar :)

Turbos.
They are great all round cars, glad you're enjoying it!

Think i mentioned this in your other thread, but i knew someone who had replica 18s which had a slightly lower offset. Gave the car a great stance, so might be worth investigating. They make a big difference IMO...

Funny you should mention the Carrera GT, i saw one last week when i was at the porsche gym in silverstone. They sound amazing.

M2 Competition
Will have to get a mini meet going. Bought this today, pick it up on Saturday :D

vw-golf-hatchback-petrol_1176791.jpg

vw-golf-hatchback-petrol_1176792.jpg

That looks great, i really like the red. Looks in good nick too!

After our last drive out, mini meet sounds like a great idea mate. Im off for a few days after tomorrow...

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Just been down to VW today to see about one of these as well. They are sourcing me one out. Drove a customers(with his permission) and loved it.

182 Trophy
love them, a lot. I love all modern hot hatches if i am honest, meganes astra vxr's corsa vxr's 197's 200's st's leons the LOT, such a massive jump from when 106gti's and clio 172's were about imo, rawness may be lost slightly, but its more than made up for with the modern stuff by refinment, build quality and better handling in 99percent of cases. Lovely car mate.

getting it mapped?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I dont get the love, not once have i just wanted to take mine out for a drive :( The saxo on the other hand ... at least 30 miles a night since it was MOT'd!! Far to sterile for my liking. Brilliant day to day car mind you, it just does everything very well ...

You'll have to come out in mine at some point Pep, the 18's dont make the ride too bad at all i dont think. Fill the arches a lot better as well :)