ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Great Spacer Debate

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I'm finding it difficult to comprehend how some setups are fine on certain cars yet similar setups are causing problems on the same spec of car. I'm currently using 15mm hub-centric spacers all round and although the fronts are fine, the rear tyres are catching on the inner arch lip which is causing problems cutting into my tyre wall but also the lining bottoming out on the tyre when going over dips in the road. I'm not sure if this is purely due to a bad spacer or whether this would cause the same problems on other cars using the same standard rims and 205 tyres. My options originally were source a set of 10mm hub-centric spacers and fit them instead, or roll the arch lining so it didn't stick in as far. Trying to find 10mm HC spacers isn't easy, due to the contact size required. I ended up taking my 15mm spacers off the rear and although the passenger side spacer was in the same condition as it went on, I found that the drivers side spigot had snapped off from the spacer so I was left with 2 pieces - a flat spacer and a spigot ring. I'm unsure if this could have been causing the problem in the first place as the wheel was still bolted to the hub regardless of it being in 2 pieces.

Anyway, I thought it would be informative to find out what spacers you guys were running and the spec of your car (copy and paste):

Car Model: Clio 182
Suspension: Coilovers
Tyre Size: 205/45/16
Spacers: 15mm all round hub-centric with spigot ring and longer bolts (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item45f7f1aa84)
Problems (Yes/No): Yes - rear tyres catching on arch lip on hard cornering and dips in road.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Car Model: Clio 172
Tyre Size: 195/45/16 - Cup Turinis
Spacers: 25mm FK's Front / 5mm FK's Rear.
Problems (Yes/No): Rubbing on the fronts since fitting coilovers, needs some adjustment from me :)

Tried 15mm and 10mm on the rears and they both rubbed, the 15's whenever I accelerated and the 10's whenever I hit a bump. This was originally on Apex 40mm springs running 195's on Cup Turinis, 5's seemed the be the most I could get away with. Just fit some 5's to the rear imo.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
You forgot one very important measurement mate.
What's the offset of the wheels?

Adding wheels with a lesser offset than original is like adding spacers.
So that could cause problems.

Yeah good point. I'm running stock 182 wheels. Whatever offset that is.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Car Model: Clio 172
Tyre Size: 195/45/16 - Cup Turinis
Spacers: 25mm FK's Front / 5mm FK's Rear.
Problems (Yes/No): Rubbing on the fronts since fitting coilovers, needs some adjustment from me :)

Tried 15mm and 10mm on the rears and they both rubbed, the 15's whenever I accelerated and the 10's whenever I hit a bump. This was originally on Apex 40mm springs running 195's on Cup Turinis, 5's seemed the be the most I could get away with. Just fit some 5's to the rear imo.

5mm flat spacers?

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
If I bought 10MM spacers, that's 5MM on each side?

What size bolts would I need as I only have the standard ones.

Sam.

LY Megane R26
5mm Spacers are fine on standard bolts, think people say aslong as about 5 threards go onto the hub it should be all good. Take the wheel off and put the spacer onto the back of the wheel and see how much thread you have coming through on the bolts.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
My standard bolts are 24mm thread Sam, i just bought some 39mm ones from demontweeks to go with my 15mm spacers

Jay

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
5mm each side is fine with standard bolts, I wouldn't use the same bolts for anything bigger though.

R14 CUP
What spacers should I run all the way round to get that perfect filled arch look, without rubbing issues on a 172 Cup, running standard Cup Turini's although lowered on H&R coilovers, there seems to be a million options for various specs and wheels, and I'm struggling to get my head around it all!!

I'm going 20/25mm on the front and 10mm on the rear. I think those sizes fill out the arches perfectly (on ph1s though).

Personally think 15mm is too much on the rears (saw your other post).

R14 CUP
Yeah, I think in hindsight it probably will. What's the ET difference between you OZ's and my turini's?

I have no idea. All I did to work it out was got a measuring tape out to see how much id need to fill out the arches, then searched for photos on here for people that had spaced out their Ph1s.

(I personally think 25mm might be too much for mine on the front, but it seems difficult to get decent quality 20mm spacers without going above £100)

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
15mm on the front with cup wishbones, hits the bumper bracket all the time which pisses me off. Spacers are purely for looks, i found my car pulled a lot more through the steering after fitting them. Felt like the car picked up through the steering like that of a go kart because of the extra scrub radius. Ive bought a cup now so no more spacers for me.

LY Megane R26
What spacers should I run all the way round to get that perfect filled arch look, without rubbing issues on a 172 Cup, running standard Cup Turini's although lowered on H&R coilovers, there seems to be a million options for various specs and wheels, and I'm struggling to get my head around it all!!

I ran 5mm rear and 20mm front on my cup with Turini's the rear rubbed a little and so did the front on the bumper bracket, but I just smashed it out the way!
I wouldn't go any wider tbh!

Now i'v got oz-f1 with the same spacers and no rubbing.

E92 325D
Dont forget not only tyre size effect it, the tyre manufacturer and model does also. My Hankooks have a square sidewall and flat top whereas the contisports are more rounded overall.

This could cause issues when running close to arches etc