ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The "Ive taken a pic and I kinda like it" thread

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
As wide as you can go, as low as you can go f/2.8 or lower ideally, 20-30 second exposures and a relatively high ISO. I shot a few at ISO 10,000 last night.
All depends how well the Sony handles the ISO. It's good to try them though.

Manual focus set to infinity (bring it back a touch) and ideally a remote trigger or a 2 second delay.

Reactions: C.J

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Really good job to get on there, looks really sharp and in focus too, nice compo too. So jelous, i've never been on there. Suppose to be really hard to get photo's on there. They say it's pot luck like

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Few from the lakes ..

20513731362_05d6d166d0_b.jpg

20334462540_7d23c7e40c_b.jpg

20513672372_7b26566361_b.jpg

20513638192_077430b31e_b.jpg

20496231436_803f6013d3_b.jpg

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Very nice Matt, you can tell the picture quality like. I think the best one is the second one from top then top. All still good by the way. Love the mist

Ok, had my first attempt at stars/night-sky/meteors tonight. Saw loads of meteors, but didn't manage to capture many at all.

I was messing with the settings all night, and found manually focusing just before infinity was best for me. ISO I had to keep really low (mainly shot at 1.8).

Thoughts on these?

20499552566_8c01e65007_h.jpg
Stars by Chris J, on Flickr

20337479310_1d5cf28d00_h.jpg
Stars over East Yorkshire by Chris J, on Flickr

19904864223_785af6d563_h.jpg
Stars by Chris J, on Flickr

I would really like to improve this, as I enjoyed it, and I'm pleased with the first results.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
How come you kept your iso so low?
I'd change the iso to 1000+ and reduce the shutter speed to 15-20 seconds. You'd be amazed at the amount of stars you will capture with a higher iso. You shouldn't have any issues with noise if you stick under 3200.

What time did you shoot these too? I noticed you ramped the iso to 2500 and a short shutter on the last shot but it looks like it wasn't too long after sunset with the pinks still on the horizon.

Nice set though.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Wanted a go at the meteors myself but I poked my head out and it was cloudy. Plus my stupid camera doesn't have an ISO over 1600

How come you kept your iso so low?
I'd change the iso to 1000+ and reduce the shutter speed to 15-20 seconds. You'd be amazed at the amount of stars you will capture with a higher iso. You shouldn't have any issues with noise if you stick under 3200.

What time did you shoot these too? I noticed you ramped the iso to 2500 and a short shutter on the last shot but it looks like it wasn't too long after sunset with the pinks still on the horizon.

Nice set though.
I took these all around 12.30 - 1am. The sunset was behind me, I think the lights are from the direction of the city.

So next time, up the iso but lower the shutter. OK, I'll try that, thanks.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Ah OK. Yeah must be quite a lot of light pollution then.
Best just trying a few settings. Maybe a couple of shots in the same spot, then up the iso, reduce shutter speed etc.
All depends on the sensor too so might be better with a 15 second exposure and iso of 1000.

Trial and error with night photography.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
You done really well @C.J better then me at getting more stars.
I did go out last night, left the flat at around 22:15 and go there around 22:30, where we were is the highest point in Durham. There was quit a few cars and people looking i was qui suprised to see that many people. I went in a couple of fields facing SW iirc and had a wind mill in the foreground and looking in that direction it was black and when i took a shot you could see light pollution. I did see loads of meteors like, one point i got a shock both fee left the ground and shouted ohh f@@k, thought it was a UFO it was that bright and fast and seemed close. I think getting the focus was the hardest part. Was it all the way to infinity or pull it back a little i was adjusting it little all the time just right before the end to infinity. I did get a couple meteors like but i was well pleased. But i didn't see the milky way i ended up leaving around 00:30 2 hours being there. i could of stopped there longer like. At least i've got a general idea what to do next time.
Next time i think i need to go out way further away from the light pollution. Was a lot of pollution and and could see city light in other directions. I took about 54 shots inc out of focus ones. No idea if all of them are out of focus. I'll get some done up and put them on here. I first tried ISO 1600 and 30 secs then 25 secs then i maxed out the ISO to 3200 and a couple to 20 to 25 secs exposure i think

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah get them edited Mark and put them up.

Ant, that place looks amazing. Be a hell of a foreground for a night scape.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Yeah get them edited Mark and put them up.

Ant, that place looks amazing. Be a hell of a foreground for a night scape.

There's quite a lot decent images on Flickr of the place. I first see it years ago before I got my camera but then I could never find it again. Mentioned it to my FIL in passing and he drove me straight there!

Would love to do some star trails there as I haven't seen anyone do one yet, just need to book the holiday down there in September and it's all good!

There's also and 11th century church ruin I need to find!

edit: somone else's shot of the ruin. https://flic.kr/p/pSrRyE

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
What's the best was to edit sky photo's highlights to -100 and clarity to +100 ??

just crancked up the the White and f**king hell you can the way more stuff the outline off what ever i'm looking at lol. Really exiting stuff this like

only on the first shot and i'm already exited

Last edited:

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
There's quite a lot decent images on Flickr of the place. I first see it years ago before I got my camera but then I could never find it again. Mentioned it to my FIL in passing and he drove me straight there!

Would love to do some star trails there as I haven't seen anyone do one yet, just need to book the holiday down there in September and it's all good!

There's also and 11th century church ruin I need to find!

edit: somone else's shot of the ruin. https://flic.kr/p/pSrRyE

looks a great spot that, i think but got loads of potential there. That other photo looks great too for a evening shot and night shot. :smile:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
looks a great spot that, i think but got loads of potential there. That other photo looks great too for a evening shot and night shot. :smile:

The whole area down there is rife with picture opportunities . Luckily we know the farmers down there so we can walk and fish on the land. I love the miniature railway...

14350938037_11c55e126c_c.jpg
Dymchurch Railway Bridge by Ant McCreadie, on Flickr

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
If in ever down that way I'm going to give you a shout. Looks awesome.

Mark, trial and error. Try clarity up, highlights up, blacks down a bit, contrast up a bit and depending on what your foreground is like, up the shadows. All depends on your software too. I'm not too sure with Elements.

Fire me over a raw file if you want Mark and I'll have a look. I've got my laptop at work today so if I get decent signal I can look today, if not, over the next couple of days.

You done really well @C.J better then me at getting more stars.
I did go out last night, left the flat at around 22:15 and go there around 22:30, where we were is the highest point in Durham. There was quit a few cars and people looking i was qui suprised to see that many people. I went in a couple of fields facing SW iirc and had a wind mill in the foreground and looking in that direction it was black and when i took a shot you could see light pollution. I did see loads of meteors like, one point i got a shock both fee left the ground and shouted ohh f@@k, thought it was a UFO it was that bright and fast and seemed close. I think getting the focus was the hardest part. Was it all the way to infinity or pull it back a little i was adjusting it little all the time just right before the end to infinity. I did get a couple meteors like but i was well pleased. But i didn't see the milky way i ended up leaving around 00:30 2 hours being there. i could of stopped there longer like. At least i've got a general idea what to do next time.
Next time i think i need to go out way further away from the light pollution. Was a lot of pollution and and could see city light in other directions. I took about 54 shots inc out of focus ones. No idea if all of them are out of focus. I'll get some done up and put them on here. I first tried ISO 1600 and 30 secs then 25 secs then i maxed out the ISO to 3200 and a couple to 20 to 25 secs exposure i think

Thanks mate. I was stood in a field, on my own, shitting myself everytime the wind rustled the trees.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Thanks mate. I was stood in a field, on my own, shitting myself everytime the wind rustled the trees.
there's little to no noise as Liam said crank up the ISO to get more stars. I started out at 1600 and for a few shots i maxed out at 3200 ISO and see more stars but was really frosty.

My flat mate turned up in his car with his camera and tripod to have a look and never got set up and left 45 mins in. I was too by myself and was just gazing at the sky and you'll snap out of it and realise where you are in a field in the middle of no where. Could get abducted of aliens or something and then you'll look at the stars again and just let your mind wonder. It's done wonders for my anxiety photography.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
20356488089_55e1308c0b_z.png
Star Meteor Night 2. by Mark Geddes, on Flickr

First attempt at Astro photography and i'm really chuffed apart from the light pollution. With the naked eye where your seeing was pure black apart from the odd star and in camera was light pollution. Took about 50 shots. some are blurred and wonky scenery and took a few just of the sky. Just tilted the camera straight up and yep that will do and fired lol. I'm sure or not i took a pic of the Milky Way but it's hard for me to make out

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Star Meteor Night 1..jpg Star Meteor Night 2..jpg

Just 2 of many i took, too much pollution. Looks like going to be another clear night on Saturday. I'm tempted to go near the moors or something in the west away from city's. This time try and get some better ones.

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 16v
Great gallery, must be very rewarding looking through afterwards knowing how well you've done, Looks a great location too

My wife took this on her camera, I was impressed with her focus/sharpness etc.
I've wanted to create my own 'style' for a while. I love the vintage and film look, so wanted something that was similar. So I actually spent a few hours today creating my own preset in LR5 using tone curve, split toning and a few other tweaks.

What are your thoughts? I really like the style, but I know it's not to everyone's taste.
20408697258_328c562c16_h.jpg
This kid LOVES chocolate by CJ, on Flickr

I get f**k all views and f**k all comments on FlickR but I'm still mostly happy with my efforts, which is what it's all about.
Totally agree.
I used to be really bothered when you could see how many views you'd had in total, but now I'm really not fussed. Rarely break 100 views on any photo these days.
Saying that, this photo snap of an old Citroen has had 90 faves and 1800 views so far. Flickr is a strange place!

20587543952_7185909a7e_z.jpg

Clio II 172 RS Ph1
Nice stuff here guys & gals!

Last friday we celebrated the 8th birthday of our dog Ollie. Time for a little party ;)

Shots taken with Nikon SB900 in beauty dish + grid. Remote triggered via Pocket Wizards.

Together with Nelson (our other wiener dog)
19981184243_ae9b4417e9_o.jpg
Ollie's 8th Birthday 14-08-2015 by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

20602055075_2a1bb5ddf4_o.jpg

19979492184_c69077ccd6_o.jpg

More pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/andyramdin/

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Really nice that Mark, worth looking at on Flickr too.
thanks, have to admit that i just looked back, majority of the time you tend to focus what's in front of you and a lot of the time now i look pretty much 360o sometimes the best shot is what's behind you. This was the first shot of many as i wanted it better but the tide and effect of the lines just wasn't the same.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Those coastal lines would worth a separate pic. It would be a nice abstract photo :smile:
had to read that 3 times before i knew what you meant lol, yeah a photo within a photo. I'm tempted to go there again tomorrow, saw some really nice sand patterns today, i was there yesterday but at different tide. Was far too sunny to take pics of the sand even with a CPL.

I really need to slow down on taking pics, i'm still rushing ot through.

Thanks anyway for a reminder