ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The JDM Appreciation Thread...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
dont get me wrong i like v8's the ls series are mint but i just prefer some other engines lol... dont see how that makes me wrong, i would muck rather have a bridge ported 13b or 22b that will rev to 9k and love every min of it, something about driving a rotary makes you love them, you know they can be a c**t and every noise they make you worry about, you constantly check oil and coolant levels, but driving them is too much fun! would love a mx5 with a 13b in it!

something about holding it at 7-7.5k while driving along and just hearing the rotary scream, then making it rev more and getting the BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP from the dash warning you that your close to the rev limit then BANG BANG BANG BBBBBBANG! as you hit the limiter and flames pour out the back of the car!

i do like v8's just for the amount of power they kick out... without even revving high lol!

if i was gonna go v8 it would be in some big ass vip lexus not in a small rx7

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I've not had the pleasure of a rotary yet though so for now, Im biased haha. The 787b is an awesome sounding motor but Im guessing its expensive aswell. The 1st 'fast' car I ever went out in was my cousins Mustang GT and I loved every second of it. The noise the speed and the pull of that engine, it put me right in the back of my seat effortlessly. I loved it

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
I've not had the pleasure of a rotary yet though so for now, Im biased haha. The 787b is an awesome sounding motor but Im guessing its expensive aswell. The 1st 'fast' car I ever went out in was my cousins Mustang GT and I loved every second of it. The noise the speed and the pull of that engine, it put me right in the back of my seat effortlessly. I loved it

read the other day that per cubic inch the rotary puts out 87% more power than a ls series... the size of the wankel is so small, seriously if you ever see a bare block you can easily wrap your arms around it fully... seriously tiny, mate of mine is rebuilding one atm he had his engine plates and housings in his kitchen sink cleaning them... thats how small they are the main bulk is small enough to fit in a sink lol, and when you drive them they feel like a much bigger engine... if your ever around these ways gimme a shout u can have a drive

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I'll have to see if I can get a drive in one at some point then, your a wee bit far from me haha but cheers for the offer.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lol with power fc you can lower it down to like 3krpm if you like which i did when i was forced to get a quickfit type place remove a back box as i was to lazy and cold and wet.... stuck it at 3k so they couldnt rev it... tbh they were very good i forgot as i left the place gave it beans BRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPP me thinking s**t whats wrong lol... stop the car reset the limit turn off and back on and we are back to normal lol!

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
Yeah, DB8R.

Really strange to look at, if you've not seen one before.

sMG_2634.jpg

ive seen one at a integra rr day absolutely awful

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
hows yours coming along anyways malice? havnt seen any pics of it for a while

The fact that an LS V8 is actually LIGHTER than a 13BT seems to have missed some people... ;)

Not to mention they can safely rev to about 7k stock and 9.5k with decent upgrades.

Dont get me wrong, I love rotaries, but I do live in reality.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
but that isnt true stav?! there was a thing on rx7 club and also fduk with the manifolds and alt etc on the ls is heavier than the 13b!

Got any links to that?
An N/A 13B is a tiny bit lighter, but from what ive seen, barring the usual clueless nobheads going "oooh its much heavier!" with no proof of anything aside from weights they plucked off google or out of their arses, an alloy LS (ie not an iron block LSx motor) with aftermarket headers etc is a tiny bit lighter than a turbo 13B complete with front mount, the turbos, etc etc etc.

Certainly seen FCs and FDs on corner weights showing them still being 50-50 with an LS in them, and they sure as hell arent rear heavy as standard, lol.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i will have a look for it but there was a guy with a ls with everything on it and a 13b fully loaded and put them on scales and the ls was heavier...

i dont see how it could possibly still be 50 50? the ls sticks out infront of the front shock towers... the 13b is behind it... in a fd atleast! if you put anything infront of the shocks its gonna put the ballance off??

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
me and stav are discussing the ls in a rx7 though and if its lighter or heavier than a 13b

Mustang, S13, AX GT
how heavy is a 13b? I think the LS was somewhere around 50Kgs heavy than an SR20 IIRC, but I'd have to go dig around in Brens thread and you'd hurt me ;)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lol a ls6 fully dressed weighs 450lbs a 13b:

13B block: 180 pounds
13B fully dressed: 260 pounds
13B-REW fully dressed: 327 pounds

Accepted weight ive seen is 388lb for the 13B-REW, minus the FMIC. Thats from the USA, I wouldnt listen to the UK peeps if they said water was wet.
That, if you take the FMIC in to account, is less than 10kg different.

Not enough to make a blindest bit of difference to anything, hence why the LS converted ones always win all the autocross and sprint events in the USA, which are on tiny courses that are about handling and not much about power...

Turbos.
Lightest inline 4 cylinder car engine going still?

As far as i know for a naturally aspirated engine it produces more power per kg of it's weight than any other. It's torque figure is also considerably better than say, the K20 Honda lump (which copies bits from the feeble Rover engine!).

As far as i know for a naturally aspirated engine it produces more power per kg of it's weight than any other. It's torque figure is also considerably better than say, the K20 Honda lump (which copies bits from the feeble Rover engine!).

True, mine's only 17lbft down on my mate's EP3 CTR, despite being 200cc and 65ish bhp down on it. I knew it was one of the best N/As for power per KG.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Accepted weight ive seen is 388lb for the 13B-REW, minus the FMIC. Thats from the USA, I wouldnt listen to the UK peeps if they said water was wet.
That, if you take the FMIC in to account, is less than 10kg different.

Not enough to make a blindest bit of difference to anything, hence why the LS converted ones always win all the autocross and sprint events in the USA, which are on tiny courses that are about handling and not much about power...

that was from rx7 club... not the uk

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
used to have a biiig thing for the ti lipped gram lites... not so much anymore :(