ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The JDM Appreciation Thread...

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I didnt Watanabes came in 17s :eek: I've only seen them on a couple of AE86s and they looked 15s max heh. Either way I've just sold my Rota's and am looking at replacing them with some Advans lol

Mustang, S13, AX GT
yeh twin three spokes the ones im looking at are polished lip. They are advertised as a bargain price so with the money I've made from selling the Rota's I've bought a Front mount now I just need a boost gauge and to swap for a stage 2 chip and it should have some speed aswell, should have enough spared to hopefully send it in to a garage and get the misfire sorted

A silver Honda
Meh...Rotas are like a quality pair of fake boobs to me.

Super Silouette Skyline

98e5b6af.jpg

3d98f4d3.jpg

[youtube]jAuLTQdL9zg[/youtube]

:cool:

clio 200 F4Rt
5-8.jpg

4051685927_14f1a988b1_b.jpg

DONE2.jpg

DONE.jpg

and PS.... i got threatened with legal action for posting pics and bashing Rota's on another forum... so be warned!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
yeh twin three spokes the ones im looking at are polished lip. They are advertised as a bargain price so with the money I've made from selling the Rota's I've bought a Front mount now I just need a boost gauge and to swap for a stage 2 chip and it should have some speed aswell, should have enough spared to hopefully send it in to a garage and get the misfire sorted

i thought your engine was shagged???

fair play on the rota sale though! good man!

i always wanted some sa3r! i nearly got some for the rex but the newer version 2 but the guy fucked them up when he "refurbed" them lol!

if you were closer i would come give u a hand with the 13 just cos i wanna see u driving it again and stop u thinking about v8's lol!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Lol, the V8 will end up in there I promise. I am gonna get it into DCMS and see if they can sort it out, as it still runs its just got the misfire and lags until about 5k revs. The local mechanic thinks the lag and to some extent the misfire might be because I have a T28 on an otherwise standard CA18. I'm not convinced on this but from reading and looking it seems like the piping to the FPR was broken and bent out of the way, then replaced with some vacuum hoses aswell as a few other suspicious bits of piping/hoses so hopefully its not actually as bad as I thought. I figured its worth a try but we'll have to see I guess. Get a train up, if you help fix it I can take you back down south and take the rex out ;)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
jason i didnt say s**t bout legal action over rotas lol! they can suck my balls lol im just posting what other people have proven and shown!

if the fpr has had fuel line replaced with silicone hose... silicone hose melts when fuel touches it... which would then go and block the injectors... giving your missfire... and any missfire would result in lag!

but also if the weld on the sleeve of the wastegate is broke and the sleeve has moved that would also show your lag! tbh i would be taking your inlet mani off taking injectors out and checking for blocks and even getting them cleaned... take the fpr and rail off also and clean it... then see whats going on... the plumbing of that etc isnt hard... i thought u said the bottom end was knocking?? or was that just the missfire?

did the company that bodged all this up ever give you money back or anything?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
jason i didnt say s**t bout legal action over rotas lol! they can suck my balls lol im just posting what other people have proven and shown!

if the fpr has had fuel line replaced with silicone hose... silicone hose melts when fuel touches it... which would then go and block the injectors... giving your missfire... and any missfire would result in lag!

but also if the weld on the sleeve of the wastegate is broke and the sleeve has moved that would also show your lag! tbh i would be taking your inlet mani off taking injectors out and checking for blocks and even getting them cleaned... take the fpr and rail off also and clean it... then see whats going on... the plumbing of that etc isnt hard... i thought u said the bottom end was knocking?? or was that just the missfire?

did the company that bodged all this up ever give you money back or anything?
I'm not very mechanically minded so I'll have a look and see if I will be able to take it apart without breaking it, but its not promising lol. There is a knocking/tapping sound but after hunting around a bit I've found its in the frontpipe on the exhaust, so its probably a missing blade or 2 from the T25. I might fire up a thread on SXOC and ask if any-one local can come and do some fault finding maybe. I'll check/photo the vac hosing and PM it over, see if I've got the right area heh.

On the topic of SA3Rs here's one of mine.

When I bought them they were absolutely trashed! In aweful, aweful shape. No curbing, dents or buckles though, just the finish. So I decided to do something different with them and here's the result.

I do have the nut covers, centre lock nut, coins and circlips, but I can't find any wheel nuts short enough to allow me to fit the covers! :dapprove: Any help would be great lol!

The calipers went black very soon after btw!

DSC04329.jpg

DSC04011.jpg

Mustang, S13, AX GT
On the topic of SA3Rs here's one of mine.

When I bought them they were absolutely trashed! In aweful, aweful shape. No curbing, dents or buckles though, just the finish. So I decided to do something different with them and here's the result.

I do have the nut covers, centre lock nut, coins and circlips, but I can't find any wheel nuts short enough to allow me to fit the covers! :dapprove: Any help would be great lol!

The calipers went black very soon after btw!

DSC04329.jpg

DSC04011.jpg
PM Rarerims about the wheel nuts, Bens a good lad I'm sure he'll help.

No dirty bolts here! :rasp: Studs ftw!

I did measure the size of nut I would need, but come one, who the hell gives nut dimensions lol!

The other thing is the holes are really tight. So as you can see I'm using internal drive nuts and the locker is splined so only just fits!

Rays nuts are too long and you can't get a socket over them due to the lack of space.

Clio 1.2 16v
oh and nice edit but still since when should wheels have a power rating on them... maybe you shouldnt be commenting about the doughnut using cheap wheels and should be mailing rota with your oppinions lol

Sorry for the slow reply, have been away.

What i'm saying is for high-power/high-stress applications you buy the BEST, because rims are such a vital part of the car. ROTAs are known for being a little dodgy if really pushed, so why would you risk it? Get some track-proven rims instead!

ROTA as a company have proven again and again that all these stupid little tales of how a mate of a mates ROTAs cracked when he ran over a twig are nothing but BS. If these failures had actually happened, ROTA would be in deep doo-doo and their methods thoroughly investigated for any short-comings.

Although I don't like how they 'rip off' other manufacturers designs, they have every right to defend themselves against the storm of crap that has spread rapidly across the internet.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
No dirty bolts here! :rasp: Studs ftw!

I did measure the size of nut I would need, but come one, who the hell gives nut dimensions lol!

The other thing is the holes are really tight. So as you can see I'm using internal drive nuts and the locker is splined so only just fits!

Rays nuts are too long and you can't get a socket over them due to the lack of space.
So you need internal drive nuts how short do they need to be? I'll see if my cousin can get any at work for you... PM me ;)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Sorry for the slow reply, have been away.

What i'm saying is for high-power/high-stress applications you buy the BEST, because rims are such a vital part of the car. ROTAs are known for being a little dodgy if really pushed, so why would you risk it? Get some track-proven rims instead!

ROTA as a company have proven again and again that all these stupid little tales of how a mate of a mates ROTAs cracked when he ran over a twig are nothing but BS. If these failures had actually happened, ROTA would be in deep doo-doo and their methods thoroughly investigated for any short-comings.

Although I don't like how they 'rip off' other manufacturers designs, they have every right to defend themselves against the storm of crap that has spread rapidly across the internet.

so all those pics of rota wheels all warped and cracked is what? photoshops?

the gold rota gtr rim, see how bad its fractured and failed? that isnt a going over a pot hole at 90 failure its disintergrated! your whole statement is f**king rubbish lol, your saying rotas shouldnt be used on high powered cars but otherwise they are a little dodgy but thats ok?

Turbos.
LOL, i swear this thread is on loop!

The little Yaris looks quite cool, i like the way you call it an SA3R to make it sound sporty!

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
i love malices rants about rota's if i ever win a daft amount of monies im gonna order loads of ROTAs and send them to him lol

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
these are old pics from a JapNW meet moons ago...
***Ignor the crazy angles these were with a shity point and click***

10-07-06_2049.jpg

10-07-06_2050.jpg

10-07-06_2101.jpg

10-07-06_2102.jpg

10-07-06_2103.jpg

10-07-06_2104.jpg

10-07-06_2105.jpg

10-07-06_2106.jpg

10-07-06_2110.jpg

10-07-06_2111.jpg

10-07-06_2112.jpg

10-07-06_2113.jpg

10-07-06_2114.jpg

10-07-06_2116.jpg

10-07-06_2117.jpg

10-07-06_2118.jpg

10-07-06_2119.jpg

10-07-06_2120.jpg

10-07-06_2121.jpg

10-07-06_2122.jpg

Pics are from 2006

Clio 1.2 16v
so all those pics of rota wheels all warped and cracked is what? photoshops?

the gold rota gtr rim, see how bad its fractured and failed? that isnt a going over a pot hole at 90 failure its disintergrated! your whole statement is f**king rubbish lol, your saying rotas shouldnt be used on high powered cars but otherwise they are a little dodgy but thats ok?

Nice that you can't even hold a simple debate without cussing at me. Feeling under pressure to defend your precious JDM? Asshat.

Were you there when the failures happened? No? So then how do you know why they failed? For all we know that GTR could have been smashed up a curb at 100mph when the driver ran out of talent - Would he admit it was his fault? Likely not, may as well blame it totally on ROTA, everyone else does!

Also, i'm not saying ROTAs are dodgy but that's ok, what i'm saying is that if they are soooo notorious for failing why would you even dream of running them on anything high-power or high-stress?

Thousands of ROTA owners have no problems running them daily on British roadways, a lot of these owners also have no trouble running them on trackdays, sprints, etc. but why 'skimp' on rims for a fully tricked-out performance car?

You wouldn't use a cheap Chinese helmet when thrashing a 400bhp Evo on track, or use tacky eBay coilovers on a 650bhp Impreza (I hope). You'd do things properly and buy very high quality kit and components that you KNOW you can rely on.

To close, if all these failures had happened genuinely on public roads AND were all down to ROTAs manufacturing process ROTA would no longer exist. Engineering is serious business and ANY kind of reports like the ones about ROTAs failing randomly found all over the internet would lead to in-depth inspections. This point alone pretty much proves that most, if not all ROTA failures are down to the owners actions and are therefore their responsibility.

(I'm fairly anti-ROTA, but slandering them with no solid proof is a no-no).

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i wasnt cussing at you...

ok i posted a pic of some black rotas... guy put them on a civic, drove to the ring did a couple laps and heard a funny noise (bearing in mind they had driven from the uk to germany to the ring on public roads) by going round the ring, the front 2 wheels had warped and bent and twisted... they bent outwards, and twisted in the rotational direction... the noise was where they had warped they were catching his calipers...

how is it physically possible for someone to do that through miss care and miss use?

just incase you missed it
rota0ni9.jpg

how the wheel should have looked, notice the flat straight spokes...
rotayu3.jpg

see how they have twisted? they should be straight...

now see the wheel in the background how from a side profile its flat... then notice the wheel infront is bent out... that should also be FLAT!
rota3te7.jpg

that happened to both front wheels... do you think this is acceptable? do you think all the stories of people shattering them is acceptable? weather its through miss use or not they shouldnt shatter that badly...

btw
10-07-06_2102.jpg

racing hearts make me hard!