ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I'm so bad at pulling the trigger on these things.

So change of plan, I've bought a damaged S9 on eBay for £60, because the trade-in for that even broken is £295, and it means I can sell my mint S9+ on eBay.

Now I can't decide on S21 vs S21 Ultra; I went to PC World earlier to compare the two, but didn't get long because the display in the shop isn't charging the phones so they both had under 5% battery. I couldn't see much difference tbh, but the idea of dropping resolution seems like going backwards, so now I'm thinking Ultra.

S21 would cost me about £200 after all said and done, Ultra about £500.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
When you say see the difference? Do you mean screen? No one can really tell the difference on a screen. Is that your marker point? The ultra is also bigger than the +.

Also nearly 300 quid for an s9. That's pixel or Nord money! Mad man!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
When you say see the difference? Do you mean screen? No one can really tell the difference on a screen. Is that your marker point? The ultra is also bigger than the +.

Also nearly 300 quid for an s9. That's pixel or Nord money! Mad man!
Sorry, maybe not being the clearest.

Samsung Trade-In is giving £295 right now if you trade in a broken S9 for any S21. They also have 15% off using code BANKHOL. so after these, and 5% cashback paying with Samsung Pay, I can get an S21 for about £380 and an S21 Ultra for about £700.

Assuming I can sell my S9+ (this isn't the broken S9 I'm talking about above, I have a broken S9 I bought for £60 just to trade in) for about £200 on eBay, the total cost of upgrading will be effectively about £200 to go to the S21 or £500 to go to the S21 Ultra.

In terms of screen, my current S9+ is 1440p, the S21 is 1080p, the Ultra is 1440p, so what I'm trying to work out is would I find going from the 1440 of the S9+ to the 1080 of the S21 disappointing, or would it be barely noticeable? I've already done some searching online and people's opinions are polar opposites. With this in mind, maybe I should go to the Ultra and then it's not an issue, but it's about £300 more and I'm tight and not that bothered about having the absolute best phone possible.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, maybe not being the clearest.

Samsung Trade-In is giving £295 right now if you trade in a broken S9 for any S21. They also have 15% off using code BANKHOL. so after these, and 5% cashback paying with Samsung Pay, I can get an S21 for about £380 and an S21 Ultra for about £700.

Assuming I can sell my S9+ (this isn't the broken S9 I'm talking about above, I have a broken S9 I bought for £60 just to trade in) for about £200 on eBay, the total cost of upgrading will be effectively about £200 to go to the S21 or £500 to go to the S21 Ultra.

In terms of screen, my current S9+ is 1440p, the S21 is 1080p, the Ultra is 1440p, so what I'm trying to work out is would I find going from the 1440 of the S9+ to the 1080 of the S21 disappointing, or would it be barely noticeable? I've already done some searching online and people's opinions are polar opposites. With this in mind, maybe I should go to the Ultra and then it's not an issue, but it's about £300 more and I'm tight and not that bothered about having the absolute best phone possible.

You got a link to that deal? Missus just busted her S9 and definitely want to take a look. Had a look but can't find one that specify the S9 can be broken.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You sound tight! 😂 Ignore the screen resolution seriously. You either want an ultra or you don't.

The phone is massive. The cameras are off the scale. You probably won't use an spen but only you will know if it's worth it. It will also be worth a lot more in 12 months time than an s21.

S21+ an option?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
You sound tight! 😂 Ignore the screen resolution seriously. You either want an ultra or you don't.

The phone is massive. The cameras are off the scale. You probably won't use an spen but only you will know if it's worth it. It will also be worth a lot more in 12 months time than an s21.

S21+ an option?
IMO the S21+ feels kinda lost in the middle. It's the worst of both worlds for me, not cheap or not 1440.

I probably am a bit tight. You don't think the resolution is that noticable? Coming from the S9+ I also kinda wanna keep the screen edge curve as well, it's minor but I do like it.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
You got a link to that deal? Missus just busted her S9 and definitely want to take a look. Had a look but can't find one that specify the S9 can be broken.

Go to trade in site, I think it's only the S21 range where you get £295 for a broken S9, every other phone it's £195 trade-in value.

Do trade in, then Samsung, then S9, then for good condition do no, then it'll show as £295.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
My wife bought the S21 ultra last week to replace her Pixel 5. Was a little over £1k, with the 15% discount. It's going back this week for a refund, as she was really disappointed with the camera performance on it compared to her Pixel.
Too many blurry pictures inside, and colours outside are just wrong.
She loved the phone otherwise, but the camera was one of the main things she needed to be good.
Think the plan is to wait for the Pixel 6 Pro now, see what that brings.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
My wife bought the S21 ultra last week to replace her Pixel 5. Was a little over £1k, with the 15% discount. It's going back this week for a refund, as she was really disappointed with the camera performance on it compared to her Pixel.
Too many blurry pictures inside, and colours outside are just wrong.
She loved the phone otherwise, but the camera was one of the main things she needed to be good.
Think the plan is to wait for the Pixel 6 Pro now, see what that brings.
Unfortunately they just can't get the cameras right. My s20 ultra was the same as I'm sure many will remember my pain and anguish at the time

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The S20 ultra had its issues. They know that. The s21U does not. Weird to hear the poor pictures. My partner has used here constantly inside and out, has blown me away.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
@riz
I guess you didn't get the Oppo? Any thoughts on it?
I was waiting for the P50 but it's delayed again and no play store so looking at others and just seen the Oppo

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I've got no complaints with the camera on my S21 Ultra either

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
After loads of faff...

I bought the S21 on Monday, then yesterday they made their offer even better, so cancelled my order, but couldn't trade in my phone again because the IMEI was already in use.

Anyway, now I'm buying an S21 Ultra. The offer stack on Samsung right now is stupid/amazing.

Galaxy S21 Ultra 128GB is £1150.
I get -£295 for trading in the broken S9
There's a 20% discount code I managed to use from HUKD.
Paid with Samsung Pay+ for another 5% off
They're offering £150 cashback on the Ultra this week
Plus you can buy a second product and get a £50 cashback boost, so I've bought some Galaxy Buds Live from Amazon for £90, and you get £40 cashback for them, plus the £50 boost, basically making them free.

After all that, I get a new Galaxy S21 Ultra for just under £500, and still have my S9+ which I can sell for about £200, so it will have cost me £300 to go from my S9+ to an S21 with Buds Live, or I can sell these for about £60 on eBay and it'll have been under £250 to upgrade.

Anyway...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
When they're effectively free. Not if they cost actual money [emoji23]
I wouldn't pay £200 for them but 150 and below they build, fit and sound are great ime. It's a whole package thing really. The only air pods that show them up a little on sound are the air pod pros and even they sounded worse whilst on call.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I wouldn't pay £200 for them but 150 and below they build, fit and sound are great ime. It's a whole package thing really. The only air pods that show them up a little on sound are the air pod pros and even they sounded worse whilst on call.
The buds live? I'd agree on the buds pro, but the live were a pretty poor experiment.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Verdict worth the cash?

Hard for me to say as my business has paid for it. Not sure I could stomach spending 1k of my own cash on one or £80pcm for one.

New phones don't really excite me that much, erection for 100hz screens?. Coming from my S10+ it is better, lightning fast and a nice size.
The camera is good but I still prefer photos out of the box on my wife's iPhone.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I was going to say, the buds live are decent but they didn't blow me away, sound quality ok but don't seem loud enough for my liking.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone completely ditched carrying cards? Are Apple/Android/Samsung/Google pay adequate to not have to carry a card these days?

I've always had wallet style cases, but wondering if I can get away without carrying a card these days.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone completely ditched carrying cards? Are Apple/Android/Samsung/Google pay adequate to not have to carry a card these days?

I've always had wallet style cases, but wondering if I can get away without carrying a card these days.
I haven't used a card in a shop since I was last in IKEA I think.

Not even sure contactless has a limit just now. Changes all the time. Still plenty of cash businesses out there but becoming much rarer and helps me get rid of cash that's not going in the bank.

I have it on my watch also which doesn't even require internet so even if my phone is in the car it's fine. One of the best modern tech advances.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think Google pay is £45 still? Maybe more in certain shops.

I went for a Chinese last night, had to go back and get cash as they were waiting for their card machine (they have only opened this week)

Last weekend a lot of the little stalls we went to at the beach were cash only which is a bit annoying. Dodge the tax man though I suppose.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Lots of petrol stations (pay at pump) don’t take Apple/Android/Google pay etc. Really annoying as that’s the only thing stopping me from not carrying a card anymore

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Why is it s**t? What did you have before?
Subject to this s20, my past 5 phones have all been top of the line xperia ones. When I was last due an upgrade I had the latest Xperia, so decided to go s20.

S20
Cameras are nothing special
Had an issue where I had no notification tone for 6 months, after an update. Tried many Google result but none worked. Turned out the default tone that it's set to was not working, changed tone and bosh it worked. Took Me 6 months to work that out.

After an update my memory card does not work in the phone. As its not a super fast latest memory card, Samsung stop them from working. Haven't purchased a new one so still have this issue.

Finger print scanner is slow and really crap

The power button doesn't turn the phone off

No dedicated camera button

Split screen is not as good as Xperia

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Any feedback on ID network via car phone warehouse? Run off 3?

Coverage ok?

Seem some cracking deals compared to O2 atm

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
bloody wife! she has just broken her phone.

xperia mk3 isnt out so had to get a xperia 5 ii

s21 dont have memory card slots and im not paying a monthly charge for cloud storage.