ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
12gb ram. 128 storage expandable up to 1tb! 1tb! 😂 Runs like the day it left the box. I imagine they are a bargain now.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
bloody wife! she has just broken her phone.

xperia mk3 isnt out so had to get a xperia 5 ii

s21 dont have memory card slots and im not paying a monthly charge for cloud storage.
Great specs on the 5 mate. 👍🏻

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think Michael Fisher will be more fair than Marques but it's an accomplished phone. Sadly until I see proper camera testing they have no chance, looked super average.

Camera looked a bit worrying on mkb's video. Battery too actually. I do like it though

I like the thinness of it, but I don't really see the point of it being that tall. There's not even that many films that are the right ratio for it

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Camera looked a bit worrying on mkb's video. Battery too actually. I do like it though

I like the thinness of it, but I don't really see the point of it being that tall. There's not even that many films that are the right ratio for it
Cos its good for split screen, which I do use these days.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Oh dear...

Those cameras promised so much. Shame. Essentially a phone at half the price embarrassed it in camera performance.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Seems to be more common and I think it's to do with throwing the kitchen sink at stuff. Pixel didn't and came out on top with a 6 year old Sony sensor and software. They knew the more they pushed the easier it was to ruin.

The s21U is still a phenomenal camera system.

Even my note 10+ 5g is ahead of most new phones. I took this in the dark the other night..

20210701_211944.jpg

Looking at a new phone, budget up to £400ish.
Currently got an ancient Samsung, so anything will be an upgrade.
Mainly after a good camera and reliable phone. Don't do anything fancy tbh.
Looking at iPhone SE and Samsung S10e currently.
Anyone have either or suggestions of anything better?
I have a Macbook, so thinking maybe iPhone might be better for being in the same ecosystem?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I would also look into that market... But could I do it? Or just buy a pixel!

I would wait to see what the one plus Nord 2 brings. It sounds like the specs will be up there.

The back up and warranty worries me with the heavy Asian stuff but the specs are insane.

Vivo, oppo, real me and the rest. Some incredible phones around the £500.

Read this throughly..
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/21420196/best-budget-smartphone-cheap

Yea you've gotta consider there's basically no warranty on some of them, they are making inroads to the UK tho so it could be less of a problem. Oppo for example were not really known 2 years ago, Xiaomi are making a name here now as well.
How often do you change your phone tho, most people it's 2 years. That shouldn't be an issue even for a less well known brand.

They're pretty much ensemble products anyway, the major components are from well known premium manufacturers.

I quite fancy the Real me, do I want/need the 256GB phone tho, less import tax on the 128 model.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I've had my Nord for almost a years now, ordered pretty much as soon as it was released to replace my old Samsung Note 8.

The only downside for me is that the camera isn't brilliant. It's not too bad, but my wife's Pixel 5 is so much better and that phone wasn't much more expensive (£379 vs £499 - although the Pixel came with Bose headphones so the price could be argued to be the same).

My wife ordered a S21 ultra recently and returned it after a week, because the camera was worse than the Pixel 5 she had, so she went back to that.

If the new Pixel 6 phones are released with a decent size screen (ideally slightly bigger than my Nord), I'll probably order one to replace the Nord, just to get a better camera. The rest of the phones performance is more than enough for my usage.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've had my Nord for almost a years now, ordered pretty much as soon as it was released to replace my old Samsung Note 8.

The only downside for me is that the camera isn't brilliant. It's not too bad, but my wife's Pixel 5 is so much better and that phone wasn't much more expensive (£379 vs £499 - although the Pixel came with Bose headphones so the price could be argued to be the same).

My wife ordered a S21 ultra recently and returned it after a week, because the camera was worse than the Pixel 5 she had, so she went back to that.

If the new Pixel 6 phones are released with a decent size screen (ideally slightly bigger than my Nord), I'll probably order one to replace the Nord, just to get a better camera. The rest of the phones performance is more than enough for my usage.
The problem with the pixel line is the other things that are missing really. Cameras are no question the best for photo. Video can die in a fire.

The pixel camera at the price isn't fair because the others offer such a good range of specs over the pixel.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
When is the Pixel 6 due for release tho, isn't it Autumn?

Rumour has it the main processor isn't actually all that great, it's on par with last years premium chip like you'd find in a Galaxy S20.
The trouble is it's expected Xiaomi are going to try and steal a march on 2022's premium phones by releasing their offering running the latest Snapdragon processor later this year.

Essentially you'll have Google offering something in line with 2020 performance while Xiaomi will have 2022's phone out very quickly after.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ignore a lot of the chip nonsense mate. The new nord will run a 7 series chip and run rings around most phones. It’s just a spec game that doesn’t mean much. My sn855 equivalent runs 4K rendering and editing with zero issues still.

vertical integration with vanilla android will hopefully be the unicorn people have been waiting on. Battery etc all optimised. The pixel 6 pro is aiming at the top and the pixel range are popular!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Looks like the 6 will go 6.4. Perfect size. And the pro will probably go 6.7 kinda note size. I think my current note 10+ is 6.8.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's coming...

That pro could be a very special phone. The eco system is no in a place it can push on this could be Google's year.

Marketing budget is also up massively. Emma's mum, dad and sister all have the new Pixel 5 after have 3 and 3xl before. They are almost the iPhone of the Android world because they are straight android with little gimmicks and a clas leading still camera.

If the new one can bring the video and good enough battery as per Dieters video, people are going to sit right up!

Give me a pro with 512gb and 12gb ram. Could I do it... Could I...

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think it looks terrible with that bump. Just make the whole thing thicker, make the battery bigger.

Will be a cracking phone though. Missing things fr my Pixel 2XL now I've moved to my P30 pro but it was just lagging and the battery went shocking.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that design is f**k ugly. Interested to see how good the cameras are though. Might be a contender to the Xperia 1 iii
The Experia iii can't even beat the one plus 9 pro currently... https://www.androidauthority.com/best-camera-phone-test-mid-2021-1648623/

The current pixel line up can do more than the Experia in a lot of circumstances! It has versatility but not ease of use or point and shoot. I wanted to love that phone but cameras are no.1 thing for my phone.

Another thing. Battery thickness isn't as much an issue with a vertically integrated chip like tensor. Look at Apple chips. The software and chip work hand in hand unlike a Qualcomm type chip that has to pair to hardware and software. The new Pixel has built everything in unison. It will also have a bigger one than 4000mah going by the rumours.

The looks, I like it! Nice solid bar. Sit flat on a table and not sure how the visor style is worse than some of the one sided camera humps out just now.

It's not going to be as good as a new Note for me but sadly Samsung aren't making one this year so you never know. I think the new fold will just be a tad too expensive to justify.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The only way that's sitting flat on a table is with the screen down as they have it. What's the point of that?
A case for it will be ridiculously thick to counter the massive bulk of the camera setup.

Not sure I understand why they can't make a thicker battery tbh regardless of how the chip is placed.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If the phone was as thick as the camera bump it would be ridiculous. The bump wont be any different to a Samsung s20u or note 20u. My point of it sitting flat on the rear is that it won't rock like the iPhone etc. The module metal rail is the same all the way across.

I will take a massive circle on the back of my phone is it means camera performance. It's functional.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Zflip at 999 is mental pricing. An incredible little folding phone that received a lot of praise last time out.

IPX8 water-resistance
80% stronger protective layer
"Armor Aluminum" hinge
S-Pen support
Under-display inner cam
(full amoled X2 displays 7.6 inch inner)
Smaller/lighter
120hz displays
$1799