ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah f**k that.

Been looking at the one plus 10 pro which looks nice.

Google pixel 6 Pro was looking nice till I saw the curved screen. Unfortunately they're a f**king pain to put a protector on. Learnt the hard way with my S20 ultra...

Amazing how cheap they are in reality. I paid £1200 for my S20 ultra and thought that was okay...at the time ofc.
Whaaaaat, I think over 1k for a phone is mental. My S21 Ultra was £300 effectively.

I just got a Pixel as a work phone and was surprised it doesn't come with a screen protector already on it like Samsung do. Even fitting screen protectors to a flat screen is annoying, it's one of those things that you can never do perfectly, so you just have to kinda accept the camera notch not being perfect or whatever.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I bought a used p30 Pro off someone who is obviously into his phones. The screen protector he put on is the best I've ever seen, perfect lol.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah a lot of people f**k it up and don't know the trick... Put it on in the bathroom after running a shower. There's no dust flying about

Been doing that for years now and my screen protectors are perfect (not to toot my own widg)
See I actually think the curved screens are better for protectors.

When I had the S9+, with one of those hard thin glass style protectors, it can kinda only fit on one way because the protector is also curved at the edges.

The only problem I've heard is that apparently on the newer Samsung's those thin glass style protectors are too thick and you get terrible responsiveness to touch, even with the high responsiveness mode on.

Much prefer the hard ones to trying to fit some floppy one though where you have to push out air bubbles after with a credit card.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Reckon it's better to go sim only and buy a phone outright then?

I hate monthly payments so for me yes... I pay £10 p/m for 20Gb/unlimited/unlimited. My iPhone X cost me £960 outright, but I've still got it 4 years later! Will be upgrading to the new one come the autumn; I think it's time.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's strange. If you're willing to wait on second hand. Take a note 20 ultra. Roughly £550 cash for a second hand good nick one and say £15 a month sim only. Over two years that's £910.

The deal they offered me was eventually £1392 for the two year deal. The phone I was getting was £1249 on the Samsung website new today. Throw in residuals... It's not actually that bad a deal.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
The Mrs is looking to upgrade her mate 20 pro to the S22. Looking at the spec of it, other than the S Pen, is it pretty much the same as the S21 Ultra? 🤣

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  09 astra 1.6 T
I've currently still got my oppo find X2 neo and apart from the odd time that the screen lags when scrolling it's been fine.
I keep looking at other stuff atm though but can't seem to find anything with similar specs without going back up to ~£50 a month. I'm paying £29pm and get 25g data with EE. To end my contract now is £130 which I should be able to cover by selling this anyway

Also, why does this seem really cheap?;
Screenshot_2022-02-13-07-22-05-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

997.1, Caddy, e208
For those with signal issues on Samsung devices

Go to the play store & download Samsung Band Selection.

Click on.... Launch band selection

Top left corner click on the 3 lines by network

Click on Band selection

Scroll down to LTE B20 & click on it.

Top right hand corner hit the Selection button.

Now check your phone signal.

You may need to experiment a bit on other carriers.

In my house I normally get 1 bar = 116 dBm By selecting Band 20 I can now get 4 bars = 85 dBm

Not sure how it will work for you but It's worth a try.

I tried all the EE bands. Band LTE 3 in my house was best for 4g & band LTE 20 was best for phone signal.

Try these bands to see which is best for you..... Band LTE 1, LTE 3, LTE 7, LTE 20 & LTE 38

For 5g band NR78

O2 operates 2G coverage on 900Mhz, 3G on 2100MHz and 900MHz, 4G on band 20 but also 1, 3, 8 & 40, 5G on NR band 78.

Three offers no 2G, 3G on 2100MHz, 4G on bands 3 & 20 but also 1 & 32, 5G on NR band 78.

Vodafone operates 2G on 900MHz, 3G on 2100MHz and 900MHz, 4G on LTE bands 7 & 20 but also 1, 3, 8, 32 and 38, 5G on NR band 78.

Leaving it on Auto also helps.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The Mrs is looking to upgrade her mate 20 pro to the S22. Looking at the spec of it, other than the S Pen, is it pretty much the same as the S21 Ultra? 🤣
It’s a completely different phone now though. Note design, Ltpo display 1hz to 120hz. Updated sensors incremental in fairness but all phones are. Brightestscreen ever on a smart phone. Both processors SD and exynos have moved on a bit this year. The 888 wasn’t the finest chip even made. This step is the biggest jump in a while and will set the ball rolling for the next few years ie they will continue to improve through updates on the new chipsets

I wouldn’t be desperate to upgrade from an s21 ultra but it’s not really the same phone anymore. This is essentially a note 21 ultra.

if going from 20 pro then you’ve got the choice of 2 very good phones. You could probably pick based on design NS not go wrong.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
It’s a completely different phone now though. Note design, Ltpo display 1hz to 120hz. Updated sensors incremental in fairness but all phones are. Brightestscreen ever on a smart phone. Both processors SD and exynos have moved on a bit this year. The 888 wasn’t the finest chip even made. This step is the biggest jump in a while and will set the ball rolling for the next few years ie they will continue to improve through updates on the new chipsets

I wouldn’t be desperate to upgrade from an s21 ultra but it’s not really the same phone anymore. This is essentially a note 21 ultra.

if going from 20 pro then you’ve got the choice of 2 very good phones. You could probably pick based on design NS not go wrong.

Cheers for the response.
Ye I won't be upgrading any time soon

The Mrs wants to though

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  09 astra 1.6 T
Doesn't seem to be many X2 neos for sale so not sure on a price for it. Anyone any idea?

Seen this, the camera and screen rate is definitely an upgrade and it's same price I'm paying now
Screenshot_2022-02-13-21-16-18-83_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Fancying a little change but without a big price jump

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't seem to be many X2 neos for sale so not sure on a price for it. Anyone any idea?

Seen this, the camera and screen rate is definitely an upgrade and it's same price I'm paying now
View attachment 1580329

Maybe one plus Nord range of oppo? Good value.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1580329

I have a Mi 9 and it's still decent. I dropped it when drunk and fucked the screen, but a little phone repair shop still managed to fix it.

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  09 astra 1.6 T
I have a Mi 9 and it's still decent. I dropped it when drunk and fucked the screen, but a little phone repair shop still managed to fix it.

I ordered it earlier. If I'd ordered it 5 mins before I did it would have been here tomorrow. Now I gotta wait til Wednesday 😂

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a 6 month old OnePlus 8t that I'm going to be selling, I've had a look on eBay and Facebook and £300 seems to be what they are selling for.

Anyone want it for £250 as a quick easy sale?

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  09 astra 1.6 T
Only emailed lastnight saying it won't be sent yet cause it's out of stock in white 😂
Might give it a couple days and if it's still not in I'll have to change it and go for grey

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Proper phone. Was it on contract? Nice to see carriers giving the other brands an oppotunity!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Looked at this make before buying the p30. Seems a great phone. My contract isn't due until September. But maybe a consideration.

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  09 astra 1.6 T
Proper phone. Was it on contract? Nice to see carriers giving the other brands an oppotunity!

Yeah it was £9 upfront and £29 a month
Unlimited everything, whenever it arrives!

Then today I see it's £0 upfront and £28 a month for basically same thing
And, I see what you did there😂

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it was £9 upfront and £29 a month
Unlimited everything, whenever it arrives!

Then today I see it's £0 upfront and £28 a month for basically same thing
And, I see what you did there😂
Seems like a great price. How does it compare to the Google pixel 6 Pro?

I'm not bothered about the s22 ultra as the cheapest total at 24 months is £1400 which is kinda mad, especially when it doesn't look tooooo amazing for that price.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I honestly don't get it.

I have a pixel 4, takes brilliant pictures, makes calls - what more do you need/get with some of the £1200 phones above?
Are you new to this world? You do own a nice car don't you. Does your phone have a stylus built into it? Does it have a 2k quad HD amoled display.

Can it run two apps side by side at once? Can it edit 4k video. I know the pixel 4 struggles with any video. Can it store multiple apps I. Memory to return to the next day or a few hours later?

The list goes on and on.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Are you new to this world? You do own a nice car don't you. Does your phone have a stylus built into it? Does it have a 2k quad HD amoled display.

Can it run two apps side by side at once? Can it edit 4k video. I know the pixel 4 struggles with any video. Can it store multiple apps I. Memory to return to the next day or a few hours later?

The list goes on and on.
The pixel 4 is decent enough. Its technically better in someways than the 5.

Right not I have 45 tabs open in opera, 6 apps in the background. I don't take many 4k videos but I have never noticed it struggling? And I don't edit videos. If I did edit videos I would do it online via my google account.

Why would I want a stylus? The screen res seems decent, believe its an OLED. I mean, have they peaked? I can see the attraction of the Samsung fold 2 but its serious money. I have a decent desktop and laptop and an iPad, how much does a phone really need to do?

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  09 astra 1.6 T
Seems like a great price. How does it compare to the Google pixel 6 Pro?

I'm not bothered about the s22 ultra as the cheapest total at 24 months is £1400 which is kinda mad, especially when it doesn't look tooooo amazing for that price.

Price put me off the Google 6 pro 😂
CBA with paying £50+ a month like my old Oneplus 6t was. Its nice to have a phone not many people know of but high spec. This Oppo X2 neo is decent and was a lot cheaper than your massive brands, and now with the Xiaomi I'm getting even more for exactly same price

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm a different use case but you cannot compare a pixel 4 even to my phone that's 3 years old never mind a new flagship. It really depends what you use your phone for.

I'm a busy man, exporting video and editing and rendering all the rest isn't a quick process, doing it on my phone and having it posted to my business is key.

The battery alone I couldn't live with a pixel 4 and I loved that phone! Give me a panda all day long! But yeah, these phones can do so much more. Running 6 apps is fine, I doubt the first app won't refresh when you click it. And the browser tabs don't tax the system, only the app.

Small things like that. I started editing a Instagram story at work last night when I left, forgot, open Instagram this morning and the actually story was still sitting there waiting for me to type and hit share. You can say that's useless... It's not, it's a practical benefit.

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  09 astra 1.6 T

Phoned them a minute ago. White won't be in stock for a while so they're sending the celestial blue for delivery tomorrow.
The blue doesn't even show on the site so never knew they had it . Bit lighter than the starry blue my oppo is now