ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'd go for a Nexus five. Sell it when the new one comes out and you'll get a good chunk of your money back as it still pisses over the majority of phones available.

We're talking about next gen. Not the 5. I need to make a decision soon! :boring:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, I should have quoted cookie, it was in reply to him not knowing what to do

The 5 is still miles ahead of a lot of phones though.

My wife is looking at the LG G3, Sony Z2 and the One M8 at the moment and I think out of them the G3 is the best. But they are still old phones now.

So, I've been looking at the Nokia 930 and am very, very tempted.

Does anyone have one or been on one and can give me an opinion? Not used a Windows phone before so it's new territory, but read plenty of good things about it.

Not used a 930 but have set up a few of the nokia windows phones for work. They're quite nice and very easy to use. Not sure if they're customizable enough for me though, I'm used to android. Have a play with one in a shop and see what you think.

Ok so my contract is due up anytime now I'm actually due an upgrade as of the 20th of August but I'm not upgrading yet as EE are utter w**k stains. I'm holding out for the iPhone 6 I've had a go on the HTC latest one, Samsung galaxy S5 and Nokia lumia thing and they are dire to use.

So I need a new network to move to on contract I hate EE now.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
I've gone for something a little different, there is a huge amount of phones that never make it to the UK market that are released in China or whatever, the mass amount of them are s**te but there is the odd decent one. I went on a hunt for something that's half decent, isn't going to cost £3/4/500 or £40/50 a month on contract.

After looking at a huge amount of unbranded Chinese tat I found the Lenovo Golden Warrior A8 (a806), Octa-core, 2GB Ram, 16gb onboard storage, 4G-LTE and a 5" screen around the same ppi (320 ish) as an iPhone all for £118. So I bought one, at that price even if Android pisses me off again I can just switch back to the iPhone and not worry about how much it cost, win.

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/2daf2dbf

Last edited by a moderator:
  2014 Focus Titanium
Cool man! I like it when people think a bit outside the box rather than just following suit.

I've recently been looking at the OnePlus One and it looks a fantastic phone but I'm gonna hold out for the Nexus 6 (or whatever it might be called) announcement.

ST
Cool man! I like it when people think a bit outside the box rather than just following suit.

I've recently been looking at the OnePlus One and it looks a fantastic phone but I'm gonna hold out for the Nexus 6 (or whatever it might be called) announcement.

Yeah the OnePlus One seems to be a good shout too, I posted a link to one earlier in this thread.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed it's pretty big although the G3 felt great in hand and it's 5.5 which I thought was bang on.

I think i'll have to upgrade and then sell on when the G4/Nexus 6 comes out. Not sure the Note4 will be future proof enough. It seems only Apple can make their phones last well for 24 months give or take.

Tbf my 5 is now feels old hat imo compared with the rest then again it's 2 years older. See what the 6 brings but I simply cannot see me buying one.

I've gone for something a little different, there is a huge amount of phones that never make it to the UK market that are released in China or whatever, the mass amount of them are s**te but there is the odd decent one. I went on a hunt for something that's half decent, isn't going to cost £3/4/500 or £40/50 a month on contract.

After looking at a huge amount of unbranded Chinese tat I found the Lenovo Golden Warrior A8 (a806), Octa-core, 2GB Ram, 16gb onboard storage, 4G-LTE and a 5" screen around the same ppi (320 ish) as an iPhone all for £118. So I bought one, at that price even if Android pisses me off again I can just switch back to the iPhone and not worry about how much it cost, win.

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/2daf2dbf

Is this any good? Looking for an upgrade from my Galaxy S3 as it performs piss poor.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The wife went in to upgrade today but she's going to wait until September 22nd (I think) and get the Sony Z3 mini (the standard one is a bit too big for her) . Very good spec of it and unlike most other manufacturers, the mini isn't a downgraded version (well, mostly)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't like the Z2, not as nice as the HTC or the G3 imo.

Z3 been announced?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. Its been pushed back a couple of weeks though so the didn't have any in store. Looks pretty good from the images though and the write ups seem to think it'll be pushing the new iphone for top phone.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
So, I've been looking at the Nokia 930 and am very, very tempted.

Does anyone have one or been on one and can give me an opinion? Not used a Windows phone before so it's new territory, but read plenty of good things about it.
ive got one on order to replace my Lumia 1020.

windows phone took a bit of getting used to but couldn't go back to anything else now im used to it, and it gets better and better with every new release, which is frequent! not sure id bother with a windows phone that wasn't a Nokia though as most of the Nokia only software is brilliant

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hold it properly in your hand and try it in your pocket. I laughed at the note2 when it came out. Now I don't want anything less than 5.5. I think 5.7 is the max.

The bezels are slimer as is the thickness. Much easier to hold the 4 even over the 3. Very excitable phone imo apart from maybe toychwiz but that's just tech talk to me. I probably delete 90% of the s**t on it anyway and shape it like iOS. :eek:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure, without rooting it, you will be able to delete a lot of the installed software. The touchwiz etc
My mate left it on his so he can use the pen and some of the other features (he has a note 2)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I just mean all the shitty apps that come with it not the actual software. It's best I stay away from technical stuff like that!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Ah right. Yeah you should be able to clear some of it pretty easily.
I do like the split screen on them, handy to use two apps at the same time.

Hold it properly in your hand and try it in your pocket. I laughed at the note2 when it came out. Now I don't want anything less than 5.5. I think 5.7 is the max.

The bezels are slimer as is the thickness. Much easier to hold the 4 even over the 3. Very excitable phone imo apart from maybe toychwiz but that's just tech talk to me. I probably delete 90% of the s**t on it anyway and shape it like iOS. :eek:

I know exactly what you mean. I do need to go and look at one/hold one.

I didn't think my bosses was a note until he told me it was. A year back they seemed huge. Not so anymore to me.

2014 Focus Titanium
Samsung phones just do my head in because Touchwiz is so f***ing sh*t. Wouldn't have anything other than vanilla android now, the difference is ridiculous. I used an S4 the other day and it wasn't anywhere near as smooth or responsive as my Nexus 5.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
What's so s**t about it? I'm guessing it's a skin? Menu layouts etc?

2014 Focus Titanium
It slows the phone down so much. Vanilla android is like iOS with its speed but touchwiz hogs resources and causes small but noticeable amounts of lag in everything. Vowed never to have a Samsung again unless they get rid! At least HTC's doesn't slow the phone down, Samsung need to take note.

im still using an iphone 4, think i have had it 3-4 years now and has never caused me any problems. Saying that it is starting to slow down. I am looking at the oppo find 7a , iphone 6, Oneplus one, note 4 and the HTC M8 there doesn't seem to be any side by side comparisons online yet.

2014 Focus Titanium
I only had a brief go on the S5 a month or so ago but I could instantly feel it wasn't as snappy as my N5. I agree there are ways round it but the N5 is the first phone I have never modified or felt the need to.m pure Android is just awesome. Admittedly I really like Sense too, so if I wasn't going for vanilla it'd be a HTC I reckon.

im still using an iphone 4, think i have had it 3-4 years now and has never caused me any problems. Saying that it is starting to slow down. I am looking at the oppo find 7a , iphone 6, Oneplus one, note 4 and the HTC M8 there doesn't seem to be any side by side comparisons online yet.

I'd say narrow it down to whether you want iOS or Android, and then go from there. They're two very different beasts, which imo cater for different users.

Naturally, the iPhone 6 is the only iOS choice if you want new, but all the others are Android, and imagine will already have comparisons.

Rav4
I'd say narrow it down to whether you want iOS or Android, and then go from there. They're two very different beasts, which imo cater for different users.

Naturally, the iPhone 6 is the only iOS choice if you want new, but all the others are Android, and imagine will already have comparisons.

Excellent advice here.

Knowing which OS you want is the main aspect, then decide on the hardware.

Android wise, my two favourite phones are the Nexus 5 and the HTC M8.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I probably won't notice speed issues with touchwiz, especially on the massive note4 spec but surely I would lose functions removing it?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You would lose the S-Pen and hover menus as they are Samsung items which are built in the TW.

Personally, I'd advise that if you want a Note4 just buy it and don't f**k with it. My Note3 isn't as fast as those running Vanilla Kit-Kat but it doesn't bother me unless core features actually hang like they did when Samsung bricked my previous device (12-23secs just to respond to a button press was impressive)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed. I'd f**k it anyway. I played with a s4 at length and an S5 now and they don't even feel laggy to me. I think it serial techies that will notice.

The Note4 specs alone will tell you it ain't gonna be slow.