ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Brand new iPhone 13 which I have used for one hours. Now has pink lines running down left side of screen ffs.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It usually comes as one piece now. Emma's s21u was meant to be like £350. You don't really get glass only anymore. Long gone at the 80 quid iPhone 7 screens.

To be fair I got a quote from Timpsons today and they said £110 for 'full' screen repair i.e. as mentioned the screen and glass. Didn't think that was too bad.

I had a third party replacement before though and whilst not bad, it didn't have the slightly curved glass the OEM one has which kind of annoyed me.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I just got my son an S20 FE for £200 and it's really good. Samsung had £200 off with an old phone!!!😉😁

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Might have to think about replacing my XR. Took it off charge at 7:30 this morning. We’re at 11:13 and I’m at 47% battery. It’s had a good run.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
My iPhone 13 decided to randomly restart itself last night and is now stuck in recovery mode. Several attempts on iTunes to update and reset it have all failed. Off to the shop I go.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
My iPhone 13 decided to randomly restart itself last night and is now stuck in recovery mode. Several attempts on iTunes to update and reset it have all failed. Off to the shop I go.

Jesus might just stick with my 11. It’s been bashed, dropped, thrown, drowned and it’s still going.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Jesus might just stick with my 11. It’s been bashed, dropped, thrown, drowned and it’s still going.
It's just one of those things. I wasn't even using it when it restarted.

I know it'll get sorted so I'm not going to stress about it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Think it's just the brand it says quality, imo.

My current p30 pro is superb and maybe the first time in years I go sim only in a couple of months.

Although I do like upgrade time ha ha.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Why do people actually buy iPhones anymore?

Serious question, what is it that draws you to them? I just find them so mediocre
It's all personal preference these days mate, all phones can do the same thing. I love the camera on the iPhone, and the fact it syncs up nicely with my iPad.

Also faceid is miles ahead of anything on Android.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Serious question, what is it that draws you to them? I just find them so mediocre

I don't use an iPhone but they buy them because they are very good. They work 99% of the time without issue. They are simple phones.

It's all personal preference these days mate, all phones can do the same thing. I love the camera on the iPhone, and the fact it syncs up nicely with my iPad.

Also faceid is miles ahead of anything on Android.

All phones can't do the same thing. A massive iPhone pro max can't have two apps open on the one screen for a very small example. Not can I choose where to put one app on a screen. Would you like top left or top left sir. There are another multiple things than an iPhone cannot do in comparison to an android but they are brilliant pieces of tech.

The eco system. iCloud etc is hard to beat.

I just can't agree all phones are the same. A pro max struggles to keep 4 apps open in the back ground for a decent time also. Annoying.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS

Integration across all devices and services. But that probably applies to Android as well. Trying to switch over after 12 years is just a pain in the dick though.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Tbf, the Face ID on my works iPhone 11 absolutely pisses over the P30 pro one. That's the only think that is better between those two imo but I'm not tied into the Apple eco system at home.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Aye just thought I'd ask as you're all clicked on chaps and unlikely to be complete technophobes. Jess has a 13 pro max which is good but just lacks the personalisation and the fact you're locked down to apps that are dictated to be "secure"

My nanna and grandad on the other hand have an iPhone purely because they're declining in technology knowledge and they look at Android like it's written in Arabic🤣

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I don't use an iPhone but they buy them because they are very good. They work 99% of the time without issue. They are simple phones.

All phones can't do the same thing. A massive iPhone pro max can't have two apps open on the one screen for a very small example. Not can I choose where to put one app on a screen. Would you like top left or top left sir. There are another multiple things than an iPhone cannot do in comparison to an android but they are brilliant pieces of tech.

The eco system. iCloud etc is hard to beat.

I just can't agree all phones are the same. A pro max struggles to keep 4 apps open in the back ground for a decent time also. Annoying.
I can appreciate what you're getting at.

Maybe I should've said that for the vast majority of users there's no big difference in them.

For power users then I imagine the flexibility some of the android phones offer would definitely be an advantage.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Just ordered a Pixel 6 (was waiting for a 6a) because Google appear to have gone deep discount on it (assuming to clear stock ready for the next one, whenever it is that'll arrive)

Will replace my OnePlus 6T that has been holding on for a while now, but at 3.5 years old it's a bit flakey now

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
No updates on the iPhone 14 release? It's usually Sept/Oct isn't it?

Has my XS Max for what feels like an eternity.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah sept Oct. Fall release every year.

I would have driven hundreds of miles to collect a new phone early years ago, only just started setting up the S22U last night, the transfer thing is amazing as always but I do have like 300gb of stuff!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Might have to think about replacing my XR. Took it off charge at 7:30 this morning. We’re at 11:13 and I’m at 47% battery. It’s had a good run.

I had an XR for 3 years, thought the battery life was decent, I've had an iPhone 13 since launch and the battery life is amazing, much better.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Personal preference 🤷‍♂️

I used to have android phones for years, but swapped to an iPhone a few years ago due to Bluetooth compatibility (or lack of) with my BMW at the time and have never looked back. My work phone is Android and my wife has Android too, but I just prefer iPhone for my personal device, I also have an iPad & Apple watch, so I've gone full r****d, but it all just works well, iCloud, Face ID, CarPlay, etc.

All phones are mediocre these days TBH, there are no step changes or amazing upgrades, it's all incremental stuff, better camera, improved battery life, etc, nothing ground breaking.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I always found apple to more user friendly so for old people and people who are simpletons when it comes to tech the apple stuff is much better.

I went to android when the S8 came out and never looked back. You always felt like you had a quality product with apple but it was too restrictive.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Think I’ve had an equal mix of apple and android over the last 15yrs. Samsung, Sony, one plus, pixels etc. Customised all of them. Extensively.
Now using an iPhone. Haven’t once missed the customisation. At all.
In the same way there are elements where android is better, there’s elements where apple is unquestionably better.
It’s a much nicer feeling product. It feels high quality. Integration with AirPods/watch is much better. CarPlay absolutely dicks on android auto, massively. Especially if you’re not on a pixel, every single damn there was a new android version of lose some level of functionality for a week or two using android auto.

Those are the elements which are of greater importance to me. I’ve never found a reason to use multi tasking, so that wouldn’t sway me. That’s all it comes down to, which suits you better.

Neithers better or worse. Just different. Anyone that claims one is definitely better overall is the sort that sniffs their fingers too much.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I always found apple to more user friendly so for old people and people who are simpletons when it comes to tech the apple stuff is much better.

I went to android when the S8 came out and never looked back. You always felt like you had a quality product with apple but it was too restrictive.

What do people mean when they say, more customisation or personalisation with Android? I have a Galaxy A40 as my work phone. I hate it. It’s so clunky. Not very responsive. But it’s not a top of the range phone by any means. Think they’re 3 years old now as well. Anyway, what personalisation can I do? Give me the top 5 things to change, and I’ll see if I can do it. Work might lock it down though.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
What do people mean when they say, more customisation or personalisation with Android? I have a Galaxy A40 as my work phone. I hate it. It’s so clunky. Not very responsive. But it’s not a top of the range phone by any means. Think they’re 3 years old now as well. Anyway, what personalisation can I do? Give me the top 5 things to change, and I’ll see if I can do it. Work might lock it down though.
Change the launcher.

Nova Launcher is a much better UI than Samsung TouchWiz IMO.

I even put Nova launcher on the Android headunit in my car.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Yeah nova launcher makes a world of difference on shitter android phones. Not felt the need to use it on my Pixels though

I’ve always had an iPhone since iPhone 3G, purely because of how convenient they are and the whole apple ecosystem is very handy, especially if you have a Mac.

I couldn't care less if you use an android, iPhone or potato, but my work gave me some Samsung android thing and it is honestly like pulling teeth. Terrible interface, slow as sin and every task seems so convoluted. So I don’t use it and just use WhatsApp business on my phone than be riddled with that sack of s**t. Skin is crawling thinking about the thing.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Change the launcher.

Nova Launcher is a much better UI than Samsung TouchWiz IMO.

I even put Nova launcher on the Android headunit in my car.

Yeah nova launcher makes a world of difference on shitter android phones. Not felt the need to use it on my Pixels though

Literally no idea what the launcher is 😂. I’ll Google it. Like I said though. Probably locked down by work though. Cheers.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Let's not starting using work based andoid phones as an example of what android is ffs! Also touchwiz? I's not 2008!

The iPhone is an incredible piece of tech, for that there is zero doubt, but you do as apple wishes and cannot go outside the walled garden for a look at the neighbours underwear. That's the main difference.