ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The next iPhone/iPad; speculation thread.

What's your plan of action?

• Total voters

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Christ! I couldn't spend that much on a phone a month. Even if your getting 4x my broadband speed lol

Discounts thanks to a legend. So with buy back the phone was free and contract is the same amount as I'd usually spend and have spent for the last four years on my iPhones. Simples!

Three ftw, when 4G launches. £12 pcm, unlimited data and no extra cost for using the 4G service.
+1 Three are awesome. I'm on £18 a month because I use tethering, or I'd be on the same as you. Have you tried tethering on your contract? I've heard it sometimes works but they are stopping it

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
8 gig here with Vodafone. And...

datyrequ.jpg

How comes it says 3G at the top?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Helpful, thanks. The question marks indicate I'm asking a question, as in seeking clarification from people that may be more knowledgeable than myself on such a subject.

If I use, say 1GB, over the course of a month currently and then download the exact same data next month on 4G, my assumption would be it would still mean I'd be using 1GB but just getting it all quicker. Obviously I'm wrong.
Yes, your data usage could stay the same, but if you are just browsing the web on your phone then you really aren't going to notice the difference between a web page loading with 3 or 4g, even with 60 mbs. It's not the difference you experience between using 3G and GPRS.

What do you actually download on a phone? Nothing really other than apps and updates, but you would continue to do these over wifi at home as you wouldn't use your data package for that.

So ultimately, where these 4g speeds come in is for tethering to a laptop, but even then, you download a few things and with ese stupidly low limits you hit your capped limit extremely quickly. Mega fast download speeds are only really useful if you have the ability to use it properly.

Its like having a supercar, and being told you can only drive 20 miles a month.

anyone with 4g, in what capacity have you used 4g to your benefit on a phone?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yes, your data usage could stay the same, but if you are just browsing the web on your phone then you really aren't going to notice the difference between a web page loading with 3 or 4g, even with 60 mbs. It's not the difference you experience between using 3G and GPRS.

What do you actually download on a phone? Nothing really other than apps and updates, but you would continue to do these over wifi at home as you wouldn't use your data package for that.

So ultimately, where these 4g speeds come in is for tethering to a laptop, but even then, you download a few things and with ese stupidly low limits you hit your capped limit extremely quickly. Mega fast download speeds are only really useful if you have the ability to use it properly.

You're basically bang on with what I'm using it for.

My broadband is 8Mb/s max, I'm usually only getting about half that... my iPhone 5S is on 4G where I'm getting an average of around 20-30Mb/s. What I'm doing is tethering to my Surface (which is my main computer) whilst leaving the 2 PS3's and server on my broadband. I switch back to broadband on my Surface if I want to download anything.

Have only been doing this for a few days but seems to be working well so far. Only thing is working out how to tether over wifi as it isn't working (USB only atm for some reason) but hopefully I'll get there.

Also just to note, another deciding factor for me was EE only do 12 months contract on 4G. If I stayed with 3G I would have had to have 24 months... no chance!

How comes it says 3G at the top?

As Ben has elluded to, it was a screen grab from earlier that day/another day.

I would agree for 1-4gb, but with 8gb on Vodafone I think it works just fine. Be interested to see how much I've downloaded already, with the new connection and Spotify premium account (MyVodafone app hasn't updated as new contract). Will feedback.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've seen demos of 4G internet on phones and the web pages loaded instantly, you could jump ahead on Youtube streamed videos and it would buffer almost instantly as if it was a local file.

It's a gimmick no doubt as I can't imagine many people would say "I think 3G is slow on my phone", but then again Three are offering it as a no cost addition to their contracts, but then there are negatives to Three.

EE's package for £46 is a lot per month for a phone contract, but then again it includes 10GB data and Deezer, and you can buy an extra SIM that shares your 10GB allowance for you to throw in an iPad if you don't want to have to tether.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Ordered online via apple (black 5s 32gb for me and silver 5s 16gb for mrs) as cambridge apple still out of stock. Hopefully won't take too long!

Thing is with 3G is that the speed can vary a lot! Lowest speed I've had on 3G was 0.31 where I couldn't even watch youtube, and that was with full signal. Most I've had is 8.99. Is there some sort of minimum with 4G?

Just couldn't afford the extra pennies for a 5S so managed to get a brand new 32gb white 5 simfree for £420.

Anyone got/seen the new case from Apple? Online reviews look very positive.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Thats a good enough review for me! Apple stores stocking these or only online? Going to get a black one me thinks.

Trafford C have them in stock so I'd presume all stores are the same.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I bought a black 5S from an EE store last night, was drama free other than when I restored from a backup of my 4 it copied the network settings of Three which meant no data. Took me a while to figure out.

Got the brown Apple case which is quite nice too.

Slo-mo is awesome and upgrading from a 4 the speed difference is massive.

edit: One oversight is that 4G isn't available in Brighton area yet which I didn't realise. Might go back and get a Tmobile contract instead to save some pennies, but then there are some nice benefits on the EE contract but you'd hope so for 20 quid a month more.

Not sure if the 4 and the 5S use different 3G specs? Both have full signal here at work, my 4 on Three got 4 meg download and 1.5 meg upload on a speed test, but my 5S on EE is getting 19 meg download but only 0.25 upload.... Weird.

I imagine some sort of throttling is going on maybe?

An orange one
Finally had a good look at the gold 5S, and without a doubt its the best colour by far!

It almost looks like silver most of the time but with a subtle tint of gold, its stunning!

Buying either of the other options is not baller IMO

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Finally had a good look at the gold 5S, and without a doubt its the best colour by far!

It almost looks like silver most of the time but with a subtle tint of gold, its stunning!

Buying either of the other options is not baller IMO

Gold looks nice in pictures, I think the white face gets a bit old. Black is timeless at least, if a little boring.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I do miss having 4G during the day. Used to get 40MB - 60MB download where my old office was.

I take people's point that better 3G would be better, but as above, I got it free, so thought why not.

I had a look in the Apple store today. I was surprised how light the 5S is compared to my 4S. I'll be getting the black and grey one if I get one. The 5C's coloured covers looked a bit glued on to me.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Got a 5S today. The Fingerprint unlock novelty still hasnt worn off yet :)

Have had it turned off since the third day I've owned it lol.

I've got it on regarding App Store purchases though... I guess it auto scans? As I've downloaded lots and it's never actually asked me to scan it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Have had it turned off since the third day I've owned it lol.

I've got it on regarding App Store purchases though... I guess it auto scans? As I've downloaded lots and it's never actually asked me to scan it.

If it's free it doesn't ask for pass code.

Golf R/Leon FR
It's asks for the code regardless of app price. I downloaded FIFA and it's free and I had to use the fingerprint scan.