ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Odyssey (Phase 1 172) - By Coops

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Next, fitting new rear bumper and tail lights, and also removed the side trims to clean behind them to whilst I was at it

So rip the rear of the car off, and bits everywhere initially

28.jpg

37.jpg

cleaned up, including trims off side

20.jpg

35.jpg

9.jpg

And new parts fitted including brand new plate light

18.jpg

13.jpg

31.jpg

26.jpg

job 2 out the way!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Next up, fixed the none working boot light (also causes auto lock issues when just boot opened) by replacing the boot lock catch/sensor assembly

and replaced the rear wiper trim for brand new o/e one as the other one I had hastily resprayed with crappy paint.

old crappy painted trim

2.jpg

so shiny new trim on

1.jpg

Replacement latch/sensor for boot

41.jpg

knackered wiring on old one

50.jpg

new one fitted

39.jpg

light working again

42.jpg

number 3 off the list, on a roll now

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Old filter, defo due a change

27.jpg

oil drained

14.jpg

new oil to go in

30.jpg

undertray cleaned up

21.jpg

Old and new plugs for swapping out

15.jpg

Comp test completed, with mileage noted down too

3.jpg

33.jpg

5.jpg

broken bonnet stay clip

10.jpg

new one fitted

32.jpg

getting there!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Air filter and pollen filter also changed to complete the minor service too but no pics of that

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Final few jobs done, exhaust painted black, which will also be rehung to hide it better behind the bumper

headlights buffed again

seatbelts cleaned and scrubbed

MOT achieved with flying colours

celebratory pint and a spin out in the peak, lovely

45.jpg

47.jpg

38.jpg

49.jpg

43.jpg

46.jpg

cheers all

Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Another one done today, new coolant temp sensor fitted as not happy about slightly high idle and poor mpg since I last used the car.

I also replaced the airbox for a slightly better condition used one thats not got gaffer tape all over it and now have all 4 clips too.

Cheers

Ben

New sensor

DSC_4262.JPG

Old sensor

DSC_4263.JPG

New sensor fitted, shiny!

DSC_4264.JPG

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Sorted some more bits today, refitted orange side repeaters and original interior door opening handles.

Also replaced the passenger side window switch with one with a working light in.

Then up to mates garage to fit the new inner tie rods I ordered other day and track the car up.

Also had some wet option track rubber slung onto one of the sets of Williams Speedlines whilst I was there.

Pics!!

Up in the air

IMG-20181106-WA0052.jpg

Underside

IMG-20181106-WA0051.jpg

Out with the old inners that were well and truly loctite'd in, much swearing was had

IMG-20181106-WA0046.jpg

In with the new

IMG-20181106-WA0045.jpg

Quick check of the undertray I cleaned other week...... Uh oh return of the oil leak....

IMG-20181106-WA0050.jpg

Further investigation leads me to conclude my original suspicions are correct, the flywheel end main crank oil seal is leaking and spraying out the gap at the back of the box across the back of the engine, so that's another job to add, clutch and cable will be done at same time

IMG-20181106-WA0049.jpg

Then onto next issue found, appears there is a slight power steering leak, can't tell if it's the pipe joint or the oil seal on the shaft but either way aux belt is getting contamination from it and as such slipping and fraying against the edge of the pulleys as they spin inside it

So further investigation required to sort that as well

IMG-20181106-WA0047.jpg

And then fun stuff, tyres fitted to wheels... Ooooo

IMG-20181106-WA0053.jpg

IMG-20181106-WA0054.jpg

Cheers

Ben

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
What brand inner rods did you use?

How do you know the coolant temp sensor was causing mpg issues?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
What brand inner rods did you use?

How do you know the coolant temp sensor was causing mpg issues?

Genuine matey from rpd.

And previous experience, the 182 had same issue few years back and replacing CTS cured it. Makes sense really as if ecu thinks engine is cold still it'll keep chucking extra fuel in

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Not done much with the car over winter, just run it up to temp and taken it up and down my private road to keep everything free every couple of weeks.

But now springs coming I've done some more buying so got bilstein b14 coilovers ready to go on, sabelt wheel (maybe), new top mounts and had my decent set of OZ superleggera refurbished in BMW sparkling graphite grey too. More to come soon when I fit it all.

Offered wheels up to the mk1 just to see aswell

Cheers

Ben

20190323_154759.jpg

20190323_154814.jpg

20190323_154823.jpg

20190323_155233.jpg

Clio RS
One question regarding the Temp sensor. I've got 1000 Rpm idle. Was this the same at You?

What was with the Temp Displayed at the display? Mine is fine so not under the half. Could it be that the sensors is defect regardles that in the DOsplay it looks okay?

Did the new sensor solve the high idle?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
High idle might be because your car has had a Fastchip 98RON RSTuner map on it. It's quite common.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
The new sensor did assist yes as car knew it was warm so wasn't running on cold start idle rpm anymore

Clio RS
Thanks for the reply! No the car does not have the 98RON Update.

For me the point ist that in the display the temp is ok. Its not showing "Low"

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Oh totally forgot to update this

Bilstein fitted, superleggera fitted

Need to notch the front down slightly to achieve perfect stance imo but overall getting towards happy with the car.

Engine out for belts, clutch and oil seals next!

Cheers

Ben

IMG-20190512-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20190512-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20190512-WA0009.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Since all the phase 1's seem to be surfacing thought I'd do quick update on my old shed.

Currently laid up as mot I think has just expired. Also kicking myself as regular run up to temp other week resulted in me noticing the driver footwell being about 2" deep in water. Usual scuttle drain issues which I stupidly didn't clear when I bought the car like I usually do with all my clios.

So spent few hours stripping scuttle apart to clear all three drain holes and then bailing out and soaking up the water inside. Going to take forever to get it properly dry without stripping whole interior though as soggy winter time...boo

Also sent my sabelt wheels off for cleaning to d2detail in Leicester

That's it for now

Cheers

Ben

IMG-20191030-WA0002.jpg

20191030_171352.jpg

20191030_171330.jpg

20191030_171417.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Amazing how well they do come up clean, the sabelts. I keep doing mine and everytime I think it's too far gone, I get some colour back. Ultimately needs retrimming but I've been saying that for the last 3 years!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Think of my three one is pretty far gone, but I'll see when I get them back!

Basically I'll keep the best one for this car, the worst one for the track car and sell the spare

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Right, decided about time dug this out for a spin soon. Since the mx5 sold last month the car is insured again, so mot booked for next weekend.

Today decided to rip the old bumper off to fit newly painted one and at same time clear the usual crap out the arches behind the liners etc.

So up in the air and wheels off, bumper off and arch liners out. Mud in the usual spots but minimal corrosion, car again surprises me every time I dig into it with how clean it is for the age and mileage

20200208_113602.jpg
20200208_113609.jpg
20200208_113611.jpg
20200208_113616.jpg
20200208_113642.jpg

And all cleaned up and coilover covers fitted after lowering the front another 10mm as it was sat too high

20200208_150629.jpg
20200208_121551.jpg
20200208_151339.jpg
20200208_151344.jpg

Didn't take any pics of building new bumper up but got it all done and car back on ground after also coating key stuff under the arches in acf50 anti corrosion spray.

All that's left now is fit front plate, vac interior and fit new mats and wash the heap. Then she'll be mot ready.

Cheers

Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Hoovered, new mats fitted, engine cover back on and new bumper with new fabia splitter all fitted and good to go.

Just a wash and some fuel and she's ready, oh and refit front plate when some velcro coins show up this week!

Cheers

Ben

20200209_154245.jpg

20200209_154333.jpg

20200209_154308.jpg

20200209_154353.jpg

20200209_154419.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
@ajrai agree, for me in the phase 1 its the colour that suits them best. I am obviously bias however

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
My Andy of the Snap has refurbished two wheels for me too, although I am currently running the Sabelt wheel I think i'll chop and change as I please with them. As ever Snappy's work is second to none and proper chuffed to have the wheel part of the puzzle all squared off now :)

had one done with silver stitching and one with black, undecided which to keep as yet but will probably sell one on and sell one of my sabelts too, getting nearly as bad with hoarding steering wheels as I am with hoarding actual wheels! lol!

cheers
RB11.jpg
RB12.jpg
RB13.jpg

Ben

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
and pic of it looking all shiny under the petrol station forecourt has made me look over the paint and decide....its not that shiny up close so think once I sort new front wings and get the side skirts off, painted and cleaned behind i'll treat the car to a proper buff to really bring her up

also spotted some mild corrosion around the spare wheel well and rear chassis legs, so that will be a summer mini project to strip the rear end down again and clean/treat anything I can see. may snowball into rear beam removal and overhaul too....we'll see.

cheers

Ben
RB9.jpg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'm thinking I need your Odyssey, be happy to put some miles on it if you're struggling to😁

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
New wheel fitted, thanks again to Andy snappy for the workmanship, superb as ever.

Battery cover also fitted. Next engine bay tasks are powder powdercoat some brackets, swap header tank and coolant when belts done and get spare inlets/fuel guard vapour blasted. Getting there!

Done random additional interior pics for good measure too.

Cheers

Ben

20200214_083048.jpg
20200214_083055.jpg
20200214_083326.jpg
20200214_083334.jpg
20200214_083429.jpg
20200214_083445.jpg
20200214_083514.jpg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
That's steering wheel looks a perfect, works really well with the interior colours. Are you selling the sabelts? If I cant have the car....