ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The PlayStation 4 Thread.

A SHED!
Re: PS4 pre-order

Ordered the bundle from Game with KZ & Drive, so now drive is out of the picture i don't know what to get? As long as KZ is there i'll be sorted, especially with the news of spawn grednades like KZ2.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci

No estimation on my Game order either. I ordered it on the 16th of August. Hoping I'll get it early December

That's a bit rubbish. No doubt the intention is to stop people consuming media that they already own (stole) in favour of paid streaming services.

Fiesta ST-2

I think the PS3 initially lacked a lot of file support, but received DLNA/WMA/DivX/mp3 (etc) compatibility after various updates?

Honda. Tesla Someday

Looking at the huge Sony info release they've flat out said "No".

Its worrying!

Doesn't bother me personally, but obviously it's a major issue for some. Have they offered an official explanation as to why?

Fiesta ST-2

Hopefully it's just a whole media thing, where they implement everything and make a point of "listening to feedback" lol.

Mini JCW

Sony just confirmed that the Ps4 will not be able to play music cd's or MP3's and will have no media server support! Deal breaker from me as I stream a lot of content from my network drive! This is insanity from Sony! Sad times! No external hard drive support either!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-ps4-bombshell-no-mp3-external-hard-drives-or-dlna-support

Xbox one isn't able to play MP3 files either, the rest it hasn't confirmed either way.

Sony are receiving significant feedback on this announcement which are being passed to the PS4 development team - I have a feeling DLNA support will be re-instated.

Honda. Tesla Someday

Xbox one isn't able to play MP3 files either, the rest it hasn't confirmed either way.

Sony are receiving significant feedback on this announcement which are being passed to the PS4 development team - I have a feeling DLNA support will be re-instated.

What is your source for this info? I found nothing saying Xbox One can not play mp3's...

Mini JCW

What is your source for this info? I found nothing saying Xbox One can not play mp3's...

I'm sure I saw the MP3 statement on avforums.com with a link to the source but it seems its just a rumour they'll introduce it.

I think Sony will backtrack and allow DLNA support. At least I hope so - it'll be a dealbreaker for some.

Audi TT 225 Quattro

Personally not bothered in the slightest if it plays music or not, its a GAMES CONSOLE which I am buying to PLAY GAMES on not use as a media server etc... If I want to watch a film or listen to music I have dedicated things to do so on which all perform better than any games console will.

Now what would be a deal breaker for me is if they decided to still release games at 720p resolution, I have been playing games in that resolution for the last 8 years thanks so would like a change now please;)

Ghost should look stunning running at a Native 1080p:D

Personally not bothered in the slightest if it plays music or not, its a GAMES CONSOLE which I am buying to PLAY GAMES on not use as a media server etc... If I want to watch a film or listen to music I have dedicated things to do so on which all perform better than any games console will.

Now what would be a deal breaker for me is if they decided to still release games at 720p resolution, I have been playing games in that resolution for the last 8 years thanks so would like a change now please;)

You seem pretty vocal about it. Surely you accept that many people legitimately use their console as a media centre? I'm not one of them, but even so.

Also I'm not sure all games will be running at 1080p. Certainly not at 60fps.

Audi TT 225 Quattro

You seem pretty vocal about it. Surely you accept that many people legitimately use their console as a media centre? I'm not one of them, but even so.

Also I'm not sure all games will be running at 1080p. Certainly not at 60fps.

Just putting my point of view across, no different to the rest in the thread;)

Oh yep I know the PS3 and XBOX can both do media duties to a degree but last time I tried to feed the PS3 a mkv file it didn't want to know so went out and got a media player for £30 that plays every single file I throw at it in 1080p 24fps, 5.1-7.1 etc etc

Yep you are correct not all game play in 1080p but get damn close (900p for bf4), not heard any issue with frame rates apart from things running smooth so far...

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab

THIS.

although it'll be a pretty damn good Bluray player for movies if the ps3 is anything to go by.

fake dk has always been an MS fanboy anyway, he'd love to marry Master Chief so I'm not surprised he's making a big deal out of this, when in reality its nothing, nobody plays music through their PS3, and all the movies and tv streamed through it would be illegally downloaded anyway.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

As I posted in the other thread, a lot of people use the PS for media content, which is obviously their choice. To not have the same functionality as the PS3 is a crazy move by Sony, irrespective of the fact it's "primarily" a games machine. Not only that, but EA Sports games include the ability to include your own custom music, effects and chants for their specific range of games - Fifa's custom chants database is huge and relies on MP3 playback.

Just smacks of what the f*ck, which is why there has been an almighty uproar about it with millions of complaints to Shuhei Yoshida:

twitteryospthanksforthioqh.jpg

TA5W5JB.png

It'll be sorted by launch or very shortly after IMO, but there's only a very small minority of people that aren't disappointed with this "backwards" step by Sony. I too couldn't care less and I'll still eventually buy the PS4 in a few months time, but even with that in mind I want both machines to be full of features and gadgetry even with the gaming aspect included. These are Next Generation consoles after all.

Audi TT 225 Quattro

Full Q&A from Sony if anyone wants a read ( rather long ) http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

One thing that does concern me is the size of the hard drive, a 1st sight 500gb looks like plenty until you realize that all games will be required to have some sort of hd install and the 2 I am getting with it are 50GB EACH! Cod ghost & Killzone.... that 100gb gone on just 2 games before any DLC then being a PS plus member will get free games to download every month, can see that 500gb disappearing very quickly:dapprove:

I may just get a 1TB drive and whack that in straight away and use the 500gb drive to replace the crammed 120gb drive in the PS3 at the sec....

Oh and yes PS3 is a brilliant blu ray player, only reason I stopped using it was because I had an original PS3 which didn't support HD Audio bitstream over HDMI ( was fixed when they released slim ) So got a Denon stand alone Blu ray player. I will actually use the PS4 for blu ray if it does a good job:)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member

Ordered the bundle from Game with KZ & Drive, so now drive is out of the picture i don't know what to get? As long as KZ is there i'll be sorted, especially with the news of spawn grednades like KZ2.

Just looked in GAME website regarding the bundles and they have no answer as to what is replacing Drive Club yet.
Just hope it's a decent game they replace it with.

Audi TT 225 Quattro

TBH am not surprised, Microsoft were pretty heavy on the Media side of things when it was shown at E3 ( or before) , what I find strange is most owners were moaning like hell saying they have forgotten about the core user, The Gamer and have tried turning it in to a media box with al the tv apps exclusive nhl deals etc etc ... now everyone is over the moon because it includes a few bits of media support:rolleyes:

My comment still stands about the PS4, really not bothered what they include feature wise as long as it plays stunning looking games to the best of its ability:D

Mini JCW

TBH am not surprised, Microsoft were pretty heavy on the Media side of things when it was shown at E3 ( or before) , what I find strange is most owners were moaning like hell saying they have forgotten about the core user, The Gamer and have tried turning it in to a media box with al the tv apps exclusive nhl deals etc etc ... now everyone is over the moon because it includes a few bits of media support:rolleyes:

My comment still stands about the PS4, really not bothered what they include feature wise as long as it plays stunning looking games to the best of its ability:D

Pretty much my thoughts too. I know a lot of people will be disappointed to lose the functionalities, but for me they're pretty much a none issue.

I think Sony are trying to streamline the OS as much as possible, getting rid of those features least used, while those that were seemingly popular will be re-introduced via SW updates anyway.

Power > Media abilities imo ;)

http://www.edge-online.com/news/pow...erences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

fake dk has always been an MS fanboy anyway, he'd love to marry Master Chief so I'm not surprised he's making a big deal out of this, when in reality its nothing, nobody plays music through their PS3, and all the movies and tv streamed through it would be illegally downloaded anyway.

It's hardly "nothing". I'm not armed with statistics, but I think quite a large proportion of PS3 owners use their machine as a media device. The large number of people complaining of its omission from PS4 clearly demonstrates that it's not "nothing". They're removing a feature that is taken for granted in 2014. My old TV from 2010 had DLNA support.

One can only guess that it's very much a financial decision based on partnerships with streaming content providers, in a bid to prevent the consumption of illegally downloaded media. For sure it's difficult to morally argue against that, but not all locally streamed content is illegal. Even if it were, you're not really in a position to judge, as we know that you download shows from Usenet. If your primary method of watching them was using your PS3, I would think you'd also be a bit miffed that the PS4 will take that ability away from you?

At worst it amounts to preemptive policing. Punishing people for something they might do. At best, it amounts to stone cold financial revenue considerations. In any case, surely they will reinstate DLNA support before very long. It is likely to come in a software update, as surely the earliest machines are already in shipping circulation.

just seen one of the comments in here mentioning the size of an install for some games before you can play. 50GB that would take ages! can you not preload them a few days before release?

Having bought PS2 and PS3 on day of release (still got the BIG versions of each) i'm not gonna bother this time around (or with Xbox One) until there's a bigger choice of games that i want or the price drops a fair amount.

Watchdogs i fancy, but not so much i'm keen to pay £400 to play it. Killzone while a decent game i can take or leave tbh.

Mini JCW

It's hardly "nothing.

I can honestly say I won't miss DLNA.

VT65 > DLNA for videos / HDD Access.
Ipod / MBP / Arcam 280 > Stereo
Dedicated Blu Ray Player > Blu Rays / CDs.

If it proves as capable a games machine as it sounds like it could be (i.e developers able to produce true 1080 progressive gameplay as opposed to an interlaced image like the Xbox One right now), then i'm happy!

Nor will I but it's still not "nothing". If it was nothing then no one would be up in arms about it.

Mini JCW

Nor will I but it's still not "nothing". If it was nothing then no one would be up in arms about it.

Sony do have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot it seems.

I do think that it's the more capable gaming machine though, from initial cross platform titles and developer feedback.

As said, they can re-instate pretty much ALL the restrictions via software updates which I think they'll do with CD / MP3 playback and DLNA in the near future.

But the simple fact is, Sony ARE struggling, made much less this year than expected, due to losses in the Bravia and PC lines so they need to be less 'Sony' this time around.

At lest they'll be getting revenue from every Xbox One created / sold though due to the Blu-ray player.

A SHED!

Just looked in GAME website regarding the bundles and they have no answer as to what is replacing Drive Club yet.
Just hope it's a decent game they replace it with.

They'll probably replace it with a similar game. Maybe NFS.

Mini JCW

Well i've cancelled my PS4 pre-order, mainly due to the fact I want to wait and see the initial reviews between them when released. Plus XBL was / is a much more polished online experience.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

Shopto are still guaranteeing new pre-orders for the PS4 for launch day.

Thinking about going for it now.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

Went ahead and pre-ordered one of the Shopto bundles (Killzone and Ghosts).

PS4 for me this gen me thinks.