ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So, I've been my mates all weekend for a mini LAN and took my PC with me. Just got home and set it back up again and it wouldn't boot, just kept turning itself off after like 8-10 seconds. I tried it about 10 times and was like, wtf. Anyway, the issue was during transport the power cable to the CPU cooler came unplugged and therefore the CPU was overheating and turning itself off. Reckon i've done any damage to the CPU by trying to turn it back on so often? Or do you reckon the auto shutdown has totally prevented any damage?
I'd say that it's unlikely you've done any damage there. The thermal shutdown process sounded like it was doing its job.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I've got my work pc sat in my garage after we got booted out of our unit mid COVID. I turn it on and access it via Google Remote desktop on my actually decent PC when I need to grab files or check emails. This is getting boring/slow and I want to make more space in the garage.

Any suggestions for sacking the work PC off but still having access?

Pull the HDD out and stick it in mine to just browse the files normally/add the account to outlook is gonna be easiest right? (Eww work s**t on my nice pc 🙁).

Could it be run as a virtual machine off that drive?

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I'd get a cheap SSD. Clone the drive to it and put it in your main PC.

Aye that would be the best thing to do

Cheers, SSD sounds like a plan. Theres a handful of WD external drives sat next to it doing nothing though... 😅

Pretty sure the PC was built in like 2009/10, could be a good upgrade for @Ant1?

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Finally sorted the build, most parts are here. Just waiting on case and grizzly thermal paste.

Spec

Intel I9 12900KF 5.2ghz cpu
ZOTAC Geforce OC 3090 ti
Corsair 1000w psu
G.SKILL 32gb Trident Z5 6400mhz DDR5 Ram
Corsair QUE 5000i case
ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F Motherboard
Additional Corsair rgb fans
Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 rgb cpu cooler

Best part of 3k on the above.

Looking for over 100 solid FPs running 4K on max settings gaming on COD.

Will be built be end of week.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Max settings aren't needed in COD. There are plenty of settings you can turn down without affecting "the look" whilst improving performance. Max settings in FPS games just make people harder to see.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Max settings aren't needed in COD. There are plenty of settings you can turn down without affecting "the look" whilst improving performance. Max settings in FPS games just make people harder to see.

Not really relevant tbh, I want a build that I won’t have to make comprises with.

However if there are such settings that won’t effect performance I’ll be nagging you when the time comes……

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Basic stuff like shadows and texture quality obviously doesn’t need to be on ultra and makes a fairly big difference frame wise.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
And done. One happy boy.

525A2D60-5FE9-4543-8BE7-9C1239FA3BA9.jpeg
AD678B0B-B0A3-4D83-9295-02FE03BF3408.jpeg

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Get thoese top fans changed out for some unicorn vomit (RGB) ones.

They are the fans and radiator for the Artic CPU cooler. I ordered and paid for the RGB version but was supplied with the non RGB. Didn’t realise until after I fitted it.

Also have a new Corsair H150i Elite cpu cooler.

Not sure I can be arsed to fit it as it means stripping everything down to remove the board for fitting kit.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Does it not give access on the other side of the case to the back of the MB? I’ve changed coolers in the past and not had to remove it.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Made a couple of changes to mine since I first built it.

Upgraded the RAM from 16GB to 32GB as I was getting big dips in FPS playing the shower of s**t that is Warzone. Runs perfectly now.

I’ve also changed the old Corsair H75 for an EK 240mm Basic AIO. This was better, but very noisy - which I thought was because I lazily used the preinstalled paste.

This morning I changed the paste and swapped the fans out for some Noctua AF12x25. These things are like witchcraft, so much quieter at the same speeds. Also dropped about 10°C on the temps under load.

It’s all very tight in there but GPU temps are low 60’s and CPU sits in the mid to high 60’s whilst everything is nice and quiet.

7FB94F2B-038B-4FB8-95A0-212D42F6D279.jpeg

FC269663-3FB4-4CF5-90C8-CA014330F38B.jpeg

0279E22A-5F57-482D-807D-9E101379A93D.jpeg

9F0E9CB7-35D7-44A3-9130-B221CAA61A49.jpeg

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Does it not give access on the other side of the case to the back of the MB? I’ve changed coolers in the past and not had to remove it.

Nope, would have to remove board to change bracket as the Corsair uses a different mounting bracket to the Artic.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Nope, would have to remove board to change bracket as the Corsair uses a different mounting bracket to the Artic.
I’m surprised at that, most cases purposely have a cut out on the back side these days.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I’m surprised at that, most cases purposely have a cut out on the back side these days.
Ignore that I can, I just need to remove the Corsair controller on the other side. Not actually looked behind that before until your message prompted me to.

TBH I’m happy with the setup and there’s plenty of light. Don’t see much point in fitting the Corsair cooler just for RGB.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I hope you got refunded the difference between the 2 versions of Arctic though?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Made a couple of changes to mine since I first built it.

Upgraded the RAM from 16GB to 32GB as I was getting big dips in FPS playing the shower of s**t that is Warzone. Runs perfectly now.

I’ve also changed the old Corsair H75 for an EK 240mm Basic AIO. This was better, but very noisy - which I thought was because I lazily used the preinstalled paste.

This morning I changed the paste and swapped the fans out for some Noctua AF12x25. These things are like witchcraft, so much quieter at the same speeds. Also dropped about 10°C on the temps under load.

It’s all very tight in there but GPU temps are low 60’s and CPU sits in the mid to high 60’s whilst everything is nice and quiet.

View attachment 1606237

View attachment 1606238
View attachment 1606243

View attachment 1606244
Nice and tidy little build that Daz 👌

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
My build is 9 years old now - FML. Think I need to consider replacing Mr Haswell i7 4770k.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Just play at a higher resolution and spunk on the GPU. You'll be FPS bound by the GPU and the CPU won't make much difference at all.
Keep thinking 3060 Ti, but the GTX 1070 in it at the moment does the business, on 3 x 1080p Acer Monitors.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Keep thinking 3060 Ti, but the GTX 1070 in it at the moment does the business, on 3 x 1080p Acer Monitors.
Save up until you've got enough to build a whole new system. There's no point splurging on a much faster GPU if you're keeping such an old CPU, and upgrading the CPU means you're going to have to buy a new motherboard and RAM, and possibly power supply depending on what components you'd want to buy.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You'll need PCI Express 4.0 for most graphics cards now, but you probably only have 3.0?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Sure but won't run at full pelt surely?

and you don't wanna drop good money on a fancy new card only to be able to use a portion of it's potential?

I’ve had to set mine as 3.0 even though the board supports 4.0. I still get the performance expected from a 3070Ti with no issues.

I don’t believe the difference is noticeable in games, possibly only a few %.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I know there are many variables to all this, but this is a good example of the differences in PCiE generations.