ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
The quality is really good on this. My old one was just a shitty basic office chair, no tension on the back so you just constantly fell back. With this it seems really sturdy and keeps you in an upright position. I reckon I could actually sleep in it. 😂

I've spent many hours reclined and sleeping in mine. Not bragging, just stating the facts. FACT.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
We are back in the small form factor case (SSUPD Meshlicious). Motherboard (ROG STRIX B660-I) and RAM (Corsair LPX 2x16Gb 5600 DDR5) came yesterday so stuck it all together.

Temporarily ran it with an old 700W SFX power supply with horrible cables to test it all worked together but today the new Corsair 750W SFX PSU (With much nicer more forgiving cables) arrived and I installed it and tidied it all up.

As you can imagine fitting all this (And my RTX 3090) into a 14.7 litre case was difficult but I think I made a very good effort:

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

And the setup pic:
IMG_0961.jpg

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I had some spare OMP reclining seats. They were super comfy going to the ring and driving around Europe so made a perfect gaming chair.

Would be interested to see how the Secretlab stuff compares tbh, given the hype.

I did this with a spare Recaro RS-G (fixed shell) I had, felt really comfy but gave me quite the sciatica in the end. 😂 Looked mint though...

1662569693912.png

F82 M4
We are back in the small form factor case (SSUPD Meshlicious). Motherboard (ROG STRIX B660-I) and RAM (Corsair LPX 2x16Gb 5600 DDR5) came yesterday so stuck it all together.

Temporarily ran it with an old 700W SFX power supply with horrible cables to test it all worked together but today the new Corsair 750W SFX PSU (With much nicer more forgiving cables) arrived and I installed it and tidied it all up.

As you can imagine fitting all this (And my RTX 3090) into a 14.7 litre case was difficult but I think I made a very good effort:

View attachment 1610937
View attachment 1610938
And the setup pic:
View attachment 1610939

How are the temps in that!?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Always loved small form factor.

Had a little Shuttle many years ago, and my current nCase M1 is awesome (only 12.something litres!).

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got the NZXT CAM software controlling a NZXT fan controller?

I mentioned it a while back in this thread and it is/was a great little device. But since switching to Windows 11, the CAM software simply cannot control the fans. They are on basic standard speed - literally doing nothing useful to cool the interior of the case.

Seems a common vibe online that Windows 11 does cause a problem with it. In the Cooling tab of the software, it just reports "Device loading...." indefinitely.

Hope they manage to patch it soon.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup

I mentioned it a while back in this thread and it is/was a great little device. But since switching to Windows 11, the CAM software simply cannot control the fans. They are on basic standard speed - literally doing nothing useful to cool the interior of the case.

Seems a common vibe online that Windows 11 does cause a problem with it. In the Cooling tab of the software, it just reports "Device loading...." indefinitely.

I used it when I had my H210i and it always worked well, but that was on Windows 10

Since I changed cases I’ve been using Fan Control. I’ve tried this on both Windows 10 and 11 with no change in how it operates.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
How are the temps in that!?
Definitely warmer than they were in the mid-tower (P600A). GPU tops out now at 72 degrees and CPU 69ish. I have ordered a wee kit that'll allow me to mount 2 of the wee 60mm fans to the rear to help exhaust the hot air from the GPU.
Screenshot 2022-09-09 142137.jpg

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Have you tried undervolting the GPU @N0ddie ?

The temps on mine dropped by 7-8°C whilst still applying an overclock to it.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Feels like the market is on the verge of being flooded with ex mining GPUs with these changes to ETH.. maybe I'll be able to finally build a rig to replace my creaking one 🤣

Just looking at Overclockers.. some of the stuff is down a massive amount compared to where it peaked

Might be a while for prices to filter through, I don't know how many big mining operations were in this country, so maybe there aren't tons of used cards hitting the second hand market.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got a new Ryzen CPU and GPU?

Been toying with upgrading my Ryzen 7 3700X/RX 5600XT to a Ryzen 7 5800X/RX 6800XT

Already got an 850w Platinum Coolermaster PSU in there, a massive air cooler for the CPU and a B550m Tomahawk board. Everything is there to push it further and get the best from a 1440p monitor

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I have a 5800x but I think the 3dx(?) would be the one to to for as the benchmarks I seem to remember having much more stable framerates and higher 1% lows even though the average wasn’t much higher

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got a new Ryzen CPU and GPU?

Been toying with upgrading my Ryzen 7 3700X/RX 5600XT to a Ryzen 7 5800X/RX 6800XT

Already got an 850w Platinum Coolermaster PSU in there, a massive air cooler for the CPU and a B550m Tomahawk board. Everything is there to push it further and get the best from a 1440p monitor
Tom has I think?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Might be worth getting the GPU first and wait for the X3D or similar to come down in price.

AM4 socket has been replaced, so you'd expect the previous generation stuff to slip down in price slowly.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Depends what you’re playing 😂

e.g. Assetto Corsa Competizione
View attachment 1613180
Only 12fps gain on average but 28fps better 1%low will be a much smoother experienece.
That's not at the highest graphics settings though, only on medium, and it's an extreme example. Most modern titles see zero gain at higher resolutions as they're GPU bound and utilise multiple cores a lot more.

If money is no object or for eSports then fair enough. But at this stage it's best to wait for further developments of it with AM5.

A better GPU makes more difference.
Screenshot_20220924-004656.png

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
New?

Good price, cheapest I can find is this one.

Yeah I believe it's new

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Not really a “power” PC, but I had a little play with my XPS which I bought during lockdown/graphics card hell as a cheap way to get a 3060ti.

The cooling was an absolute joke. Single 80mm exhaust fan, hard drive blocking most of the airflow from the front of the case even though there was a free bay at the top of the case which wouldn’t cover the vent grills.

Moved the HDD and bracket, put as many Noctua fans as would fit in the case, added a VRM heatsink and swapped out the stock intel cooler for a tower cooler.

GPU temps unchanged, but fans max out at 70% not 100% which is a massive difference in noise. CPU temps down 20C (!!!) and the PC runs so much quieter.

7F880CB4-4472-4A91-99B2-CC79E0B4123E.jpeg

The hard drive at the right was where the fan at the bottom of the pic is, completely blocking any airflow. Genius.

Oh, and the memory wasn’t running at it’s maximum rated speed either. FFS dell!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
You wanna get yourself off that HDD and onto an M.2 NVME SSD. They've come down massively in price recently and make such a difference over running off a HDD.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
You wanna get yourself off that HDD and onto an M.2 NVME SSD. They've come down massively in price recently and make such a difference over running off a HDD.

I've got an M.2 boot drive, the HDD is just for my Steam folder. I don't play enough games where loading time is a factor for it to bother me.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Samsung have a cashback offer at the moment, means you can get a 2TB NVME drive for £150 (£230 usually but £80 cashback).

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Where can I find this offer? My son needs more storage on his PS5.

But I think you want the heatsink model for PS5, which isn't on the cashback offer afaik

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

I used it when I had my H210i and it always worked well, but that was on Windows 10

Since I changed cases I’ve been using Fan Control. I’ve tried this on both Windows 10 and 11 with no change in how it operates.
Turns out I was a complete tool with this - with a small caveat!

So - all was good using Windows 10 as mentioned - proof of this is that I managed previously to update the firmware on the NZXT fan controller. Therefore, I had it in my head that the issue could not have been hardware related.

Turns out that in Windows 11, USB passthrough is not as easy. The NZXT fan controller, could not be 'seen' by the mobo when passing through the NZXT USB hub controller. More bizarre, due to the fact that the other devices on the USB hub can be seen.

Anyways, I had a spare USB header on the mobo and connected the NZXT fan controller to that. The NZXT CAM software immediately saw it and allowed control of the fans.

Glad that its now sorted - but a bit pissed at myself for not double-checking it earlier!