ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The difference between 4.0 and 3.0 is the same as the difference between DDR4 and DDR5, it's basically irrelevant. Can you measure it? Yes. Can you tell the difference? No.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I play at 4k which uses 14-15gb of the GPU RAM available and maxes out the GPU itself. I would say going from PCIe 3.0 16X to 4.0 16X made less than 1% difference. There's plenty of bandwidth on 3.0.

What makes a bigger difference is the chipset you have, how many PCIe lanes you have, and how they are controlled E.G direct CPU lanes or Northbridge and then what other PCIe slots you are using as you can inadvertently end up with your PCIe slot for the GPU running at 8X.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I play at 4k which uses 14-15gb of the GPU RAM available and maxes out the GPU itself. I would say going from PCIe 3.0 16X to 4.0 16X made less than 1% difference. There's plenty of bandwidth on 3.0.

What makes a bigger difference is the chipset you have, how many PCIe lanes you have, and how they are controlled E.G direct CPU lanes or Northbridge and then what other PCIe slots you are using as you can inadvertently end up with your PCIe slot for the GPU running at 8X.
So true.

Chuck a load of additional items to fill those slots and you can compromise the availability and throughput of the lanes.

If my SoundBlaster card didn't utterly trounce the onboard mobo audio - I'd remove that too and just have the graphics card solely occupying a slot.

Evo 5 RS
Mine doesn’t really know what it is at the moment. 3090Ti LC is temporary

74447CC7-D90D-4A97-A524-2DEFAC4584D6.jpeg

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Not better holding off until next month when new CPU and GPUs will be unveiled?
Prices of current stuff is rumoured to be getting price drops very soon.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I would agreed with Nods if there was guaranteed availability without massive price hikes on the new kit.

But I think it will be a s**t show so just went with the best that’s available currently.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
I would agreed with Nods if there was guaranteed availability without massive price hikes on the new kit.

But I think it will be a s**t show so just went with the best that’s available currently.

Ye most rumours seem to be pointing to just the 4090 being released at the beginning, which I wouldn't be in the market for anyway tbh

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
A lot of Youtube folk are saying do not buy GPUs at the moment. Their prices are falling (Particularly high end stuff) and NVIDIA in particular said only yesterday that they intend to price to sell all the "overstock" they have.

What resolution do you plan on going for? If 4K then waiting for the new CPUs would be a waste. At that resolution your graphics card will be the bottleneck. I'd wait at least 2 more weeks to see this big price drop (On GPUs).

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
A lot of Youtube folk are saying do not buy GPUs at the moment. Their prices are falling (Particularly high end stuff) and NVIDIA in particular said only yesterday that they intend to price to sell all the "overstock" they have.

What resolution do you plan on going for? If 4K then waiting for the new CPUs would be a waste. At that resolution your graphics card will be the bottleneck. I'd wait at least 2 more weeks to see this big price drop (On GPUs).

Ah fair enough Im not in a huge rush either way just wanna be set for MW2

only been aiming for 1440p really

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Right then kiddies

About to bite the bullet and order the above, unless anybody can recommend something that betters this?, only thing I might upgrade off the bat is the Ram up to 32gb if there price isn't too over the top

That's the same one I got in April. Great PC I also was thinking of upgrading ram but honestly haven't felt the need to so wouldn't even say that's necessary. It's also a bit cheaper now than when I got it so looks like a bloody good buy to me.

As the others said there's a chance prices will come down but at the same time there might become availability issues so it's always a gamble.

Only thing I changed is the fans to PWM ones and bigger on the front. Was running at around 80c and now with a slight undervolt it's sitting in the mid 60's.

SmartSelect_20220825-191824_Photos.jpg

SmartSelect_20220825-191834_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Looking to sell my system soon as its not getting used. Spec is GTX 1080, i5 8600k, 16GB RAM & water cooled. Unsure on how to price it as becoming dated but still a very capable system.

009B6197-AE4E-4F01-81FD-99B5642695E1.jpeg

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Anyone got a secretlab omega? Gunna bite the bullet and get a chair today. The softweave seems to be the go to?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
there literally identical bar the omega having the cut outs and being leather

id be amazed if there not made in the same factory tbh
Different appearance, foam and material init? Unless I’m missing something. I know a lot of the cheap eBay gaming chairs are pretty much exactly the same. Don’t want a leather/faux chair, sweat city 😂

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure what the difference is but I got this one and like it. I think I prefer the look of some of the Herman miller chairs but the price not so much. I'd say it's quite firm so at first you might think it's going to be uncomfy but I've been sat in mine for some long sessions and not had any complaints.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Not sure what the difference is but I got this one and like it. I think I prefer the look of some of the Herman miller chairs but the price not so much. I'd say it's quite firm so at first you might think it's going to be uncomfy but I've been sat in mine for some long sessions and not had any complaints.

Think I’ll Go with that 👌🏻

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Ordered that titan exo with the softweave plus bullshit foam. Looking forward to it!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I had some spare OMP reclining seats. They were super comfy going to the ring and driving around Europe so made a perfect gaming chair.

Would be interested to see how the Secretlab stuff compares tbh, given the hype.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK is the chair man (Man in the know about chairs) is he not?

I've tried a few and spent many an hour on my ass in them. And I absolutely LOVE the Secretlab Titan XL. The only downside is that I'm a skinny little runt and it's perhaps a bit too wide for me as I can easily sit cross-legged in it for hours on end! :ROFLMAO: Easy to keep clean, rock solid, mechanically perfect despite seeing typical 8-12 hours working/gaming days.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
The quality is really good on this. My old one was just a shitty basic office chair, no tension on the back so you just constantly fell back. With this it seems really sturdy and keeps you in an upright position. I reckon I could actually sleep in it. 😂

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The quality is really good on this. My old one was just a shitty basic office chair, no tension on the back so you just constantly fell back. With this it seems really sturdy and keeps you in an upright position. I reckon I could actually sleep in it. 😂
I thought the same when I got mine

Turns out being woken up at 4am by the Mrs signifies that I tried and tested sleeping in it🤣🤣🤣