ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
PXL_20221115_223505788.jpg

All done. Now to install some games

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Looks awesome that. Wish my GPU cables look like that I bought a pre build from scan which is great but they daisy chained the GPU cables which I'm not a fan of. I'm not very clued up in the world of building PC's but wouldn't mind changing it I'm just too scared to break the bloody thing 😅

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
What cables are people using?

Priced up a 6900XT earlier. Then realised I need a new PSU... and new cables... and new fans... and I want a new case

In the wise words of @seb

LOL
I use the ones that came with my PSU as they’re already braided.

HTH

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
What cables are people using?

Priced up a 6900XT earlier. Then realised I need a new PSU... and new cables... and new fans... and I want a new case

In the wise words of @seb

LOL

❤️ you bunch of f**king geeks. ♥️

👁️ 👁️
👃
👄

oh… LOL!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
As before, this probably doesn't qualify being a laptop and all, but meh.

PXL_20221029_140813721.jpg

Had a couple of weeks with this MSI i9 purchase and life is very good indeed. It's absolutely ripping through everything I've thrown at it so far. I ended up unable to give it the full 8TB hoped for as despite just about every other MSI laptop out there having a SATA bay and connector, mine has the bay but no connector leaving my previous 4TB SATA SSD redundant. So far the chaps at work have replaced the standard 3500mbps 1TB M.2 SSD with a 2TB 6600mbps one, and tomorrow I have a second one (same spec) arriving so I'm going in to swap it myself.

F*** me this thing is quick, like it genuinely blows my mind. Cold boot from battery and I'm at the desktop opening up my editing suite after 14 seconds and that includes entering my PIN. I've no experience of powerful PCs...is that quick?

@Smoothie Claymore , it turns out the graphics card doesn't do the heavy lifting when rendering videos, well Cyberlink Powerdirector doesn't seem to use it anyway. It flys through high bitrate 4K footage very quickly but only seems to use the shared on board graphics thingy...the actual 3060 and its 6GB shows no usage at all.

PXL_20221031_220745151.jpg

Is that right? If not, can I/should I configure it to be used?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
As before, this probably doesn't qualify being a laptop and all, but meh.

View attachment 1620633

Had a couple of weeks with this MSI i9 purchase and life is very good indeed. It's absolutely ripping through everything I've thrown at it so far. I ended up unable to give it the full 8TB hoped for as despite just about every other MSI laptop out there having a SATA bay and connector, mine has the bay but no connector leaving my previous 4TB SATA SSD redundant. So far the chaps at work have replaced the standard 3500mbps 1TB M.2 SSD with a 2TB 6600mbps one, and tomorrow I have a second one (same spec) arriving so I'm going in to swap it myself.

F*** me this thing is quick, like it genuinely blows my mind. Cold boot from battery and I'm at the desktop opening up my editing suite after 14 seconds and that includes entering my PIN. I've no experience of powerful PCs...is that quick?

@Smoothie Claymore , it turns out the graphics card doesn't do the heavy lifting when rendering videos, well Cyberlink Powerdirector doesn't seem to use it anyway. It flys through high bitrate 4K footage very quickly but only seems to use the shared on board graphics thingy...the actual 3060 and its 6GB shows no usage at all.

View attachment 1620632

Is that right? If not, can I/should I configure it to be used?

Mark, you may need to explicitly enable CUDA/GPU acceleration.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one, thank you, I'll take a look (y)

One other thing to mention... whilst the GPU can significantly increase performance in some areas, you may find that the 6GB of memory on your GPU very quickly gets eaten up when authoring and working with video content. Hence, you may experience a few hiccups here and there, now and again - i.e. don't expect a perfectly smooth experience! That said, it should be a good improvement over what you had before.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
So, since finally being able to join this thread, I should shoutout @Rojer : MY friendly (somewhat) IT fwend.

After getting the tower from a local pc shop (dont ask), I noticed the temps were creeping up a little bit.

I opened it all up and sent some pics to Roj. We had a few lol's and realised some pretty pants stuff.

Both the rear and dual top fans were all exhausting......The rear fan now pushes air in and the top two exhaust as before. Improvements there.

The CPU cooler is oriented badly - its having air pushed across it and not through it. Fix to be sorted shortly on that.

The CPU Fan was oriented incorrectly, thats now been sorted.

The two RAM sticks were in the wrong slots for optimum speed, also now sorted.

The only issue (other than the CPU Cooler) is now how toasty my 2060 Super is getting. I think it tipped 80C after a few hours of warzone.

It didnt impact usage notibly, but its still getting a bit warmer than id have liked.

Might need to find an additional large fan somewhere.

Or, actually listen to Roj and order a better case.

Still, for a work PC with my graphics card inside, its pretty sweet!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Order a case that doesn't have a solid front panel, then get couple intake fans for front. Change back the rear to exhaust and rotate the cooler and you should be good now.

@Sir Nancy Flowers

EDIT as it's stands it's still not ideal as your rear intake is pretty much going to go straight out the top because of your cooler orientation. If you change that then more cool air would get drawn through the case rather than being exhausted straight out.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
So, since finally being able to join this thread, I should shoutout @Rojer : MY friendly (somewhat) IT fwend.

After getting the tower from a local pc shop (dont ask), I noticed the temps were creeping up a little bit.

I opened it all up and sent some pics to Roj. We had a few lol's and realised some pretty pants stuff.

Both the rear and dual top fans were all exhausting......The rear fan now pushes air in and the top two exhaust as before. Improvements there.

The CPU cooler is oriented badly - its having air pushed across it and not through it. Fix to be sorted shortly on that.

The CPU Fan was oriented incorrectly, thats now been sorted.

The two RAM sticks were in the wrong slots for optimum speed, also now sorted.

The only issue (other than the CPU Cooler) is now how toasty my 2060 Super is getting. I think it tipped 80C after a few hours of warzone.

It didnt impact usage notibly, but its still getting a bit warmer than id have liked.

Might need to find an additional large fan somewhere.

Or, actually listen to Roj and order a better case.

Still, for a work PC with my graphics card inside, its pretty sweet!

I was getting near 80 too but I think the GPU starts dropping performance at that point to keep temps from rising. I turned the fans up a bit and did an undervolt it now rarely gets over 70 and hangs around the mid 60's.

For the undervolt I didn't underclock just ran it with a benchmark to see what clock speed it had and then slowly dropped voltage until it crashed and then went up some. I had better benchmark results after too and ended up with 925v at 1920Mhz.

Evo 5 RS
Noice. My EK waterblock in on its way for my Gigabyte 4090, from Slovenia nonetheless.

Yeah, I missed the note about the customs charge which was a nice surprise. Also mounting took about 3 attempts to make good contact. I think it's a mixture of the pads used and the machining. People had the same issue last gen with EK

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I missed the note about the customs charge which was a nice surprise. Also mounting took about 3 attempts to make good contact. I think it's a mixture of the pads used and the machining. People had the same issue last gen with EK
Good to know cheers, my old card has a Bykski block on it which I couldn't fault. Great to know with EK you pay more for lower quality. :ROFLMAO:

I would have gone Bykski again or Alphacool but no idea when they'll be available.

Evo 5 RS
Good to know cheers, my old card has a Bykski block on it which I couldn't fault. Great to know with EK you pay more for lower quality. :ROFLMAO:

I would have gone Bykski again or Alphacool but no idea when they'll be available.

I think they've gone downhill in recent years. I had issues with the tubing tolerances on their PETG, so ended up using Bykski. Also, I'd heard there were quite a few Monoblocks with quality control issues on one of the last collaborations. I didn't use a block with Ampere but have now seen a lot of people with those had mounting pressure problems.

Prior to that, I must have had at least 20 other blocks [from EKWB] over the years and it's never been a problem. In case it helps, I used a heat gun on the pads the last time to help seat the block. May have helped in the end.

Evo 5 RS
All that and you're wasting your time on Battlefield?

I was very underwhelmed with the new map tbh.

200.gif

TBH I don't play it often, just thought I'd check out the update. Right now I'm trying to complete Horizon Zero Dawn, which I've been meaning to get around to since round about when it came out on PS4