ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Interesting on the graphics cards and the X3D, I hear the X3D would be a good one to go for. I hear it’s good on gaming and looking at the reviews it’s very popular. Would I assume it’ll be good other than gaming too?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting on the graphics cards and the X3D, I hear the X3D would be a good one to go for. I hear it’s good on gaming and looking at the reviews it’s very popular. Would I assume it’ll be good other than gaming too?
Yup, the X3D is a great CPU, especially for gaming. It will happily blaze through anything you are likely to throw at it outside of gaming, too.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
looks like the one coming out later this year is the Ryzen 5 9600x3d? Is there a price on it yet? what was the last gen equivelant? I'm still getting my head round to all the jargen letters and numbers and names for the cpu's

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
The previous gen X3D chip that really impressed was the 5800X3D, it put down some cracking benchmarks.
How long does each gen last is it every year or few years? Just checked in the AMD website that the new X3D only has one specific ram think it was 5600mhz . If that’s the case you can only put that 5600mhz ram in and not say 6000mhz. Would that cause issues?

What do it do with my old nvme and the other ssd what’s already in, one is 250gb and the other is 1TB but is it worth it putting them in the new build or keep them in a drawer just in case they go faulty with them being nearly 8 years old

A4 Avant & A3
While on the topic of GPUs.. hopefully a very basic one.
My youngest had to have a PC (like his older brother) so at Christmas I got him a load of parts and we built a pc, however, the deal was he'd have to have an old (very old... gtx680) graphics card temporarily and then his birthday was February so he could then get a new GPU.

At the time the 680 actually worked ok & he was able to play fortnite with his mates & it ran 'ok' so kids being kids.. he didn't 'need' a new one, so never bothered getting one and wanted something else for his birthday.

However, now it's not working very good!.. and he wants to get the new FIFA 25.
He only has about £150, any ideas what would be a suitable second hand GPU that would run Fortnite well & the new fifa?

The rest of the PC specs:
Ryzen 5 5600x
MSI Tomahawk motherboard (i think)
650w gold Corsair PSU
16Gb Corsair vengeance RAM

I might have the option of a rtx2060 super for £100, I'm assuming that would be ok..
Any other cheapish options I should look out for?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You could pick up a 6600 XT for about that. Outperform a RTX2060 easily
This.

Although for a bit more money and quite a jump in performance the 6700XT would be good.

Or for a bit less money and equal performance to the 6600XT you could get a 5700XT

A4 Avant & A3
good shout, for some reason I default to Nvidia....

He's actually happy again for now, he was complaining about the 'ping' and 'lagging' so i had a little look yesterday & noticed he had steam running and a large number of games downloading/updating in the background.. i say in the background but it must have been hogging the internet bandwidth massively. (speedtest was showing 4-5Mbps stopped steam & we're back up to the normal 45Mbps)

After stopping steam & set not to start up & fortnite is playing fine again on the 680!... i'm amazed really for how old the thing is.. but I will be on the look out for him as the rest of the PC is wasted with that so needs to get something soonish.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Hi all, me again, guy locally who builds PC’s has said the following spec:

Xeon E5-2667 V4 8 Core CPU
X99 Motherboard
16 or 32Gb 2400Mhz Ram
512m.2 SSD + 1Tb HDD
750W PSU
1660 Super or 2060 super

Price would differ if 32gb Ram and 2060 super

He’s saying £400/450 depending on spec, is that any good?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

X99 Motherboard
16 or 32Gb 2400Mhz Ram
512m.2 SSD + 1Tb HDD
750W PSU
1660 Super or 2060 super

I wouldn't go for it personally. It's an old CPU and platform from 2016.

Performance wise in games it's not as bad as you might expect for an old CPU.

Also you want larger M.2 drive ideally. 512gb doesn't hold a great deal now for installing games. Ignore the 1tb HDD, that's only for photos, music storage etc.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

X99 Motherboard
16 or 32Gb 2400Mhz Ram
512m.2 SSD + 1Tb HDD
750W PSU
1660 Super or 2060 super

Do not buy that PC bud.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I’ll likely be selling my PC in the next 2-3 months. 3080, 32gb DDR4, 5800X3D, 750W PSU, 2TB m.2 SSD, X570-E board. I was thinking a grand would be a good deal for it tbh.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I wouldn't go for it personally. It's an old CPU and platform from 2016.

Performance wise in games it's not as bad as you might expect for an old CPU.

Also you want larger M.2 drive ideally. 512gb doesn't hold a great deal now for installing games. Ignore the 1tb HDD, that's only for photos, music storage etc.
Thank you, will go back to him and see what else he has, son's birthday in a week or so, he will have the money then to get one organised, am sure I will have more questions, thanks Tom for the replies, much appreciated