ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Just a question, when you go on the AMD's website and go onto the Processors, then onto the 9000 Series, there's 4 currently listed I'm aware there's the X3D version coming out soon, but when you go onto the other Series like the 7000 , 5000 Series for eg theres way more varients on each series than the new 9000 series, does this mean there's more and more varients on the 9000 series coming out or is that it?

Also when you go on the Max Memory Speed bit on the AMD website there's 3600 and 5600 listed, but i know people on YouTube been putting on 6000 ram on. Can someone explain to me what's goin on, I'm confused. This is for the 9600x and the 9700x
The reason people use 6000mhz with the 7xxx is to run the memory controller at a 1:1 ratio but you'll have to do a big of manual tweaking.

The 9 series X3D haven't been launched yet but will be in the coming months, no confirmation on dates and models yet.

A reason why the older series have more models is because certain chips might only have 6 good cores instead of 8. They might only run at 4.3ghz instead of 4.6ghz for example. So they are released later on to slot in between other processors.

E.g the 5800X3D was the only X3D CPU for ages. Then eventually AMD released the 5600X3D and 5700X3D which could all be the same CPU on the production line but binned differently.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
The reason people use 6000mhz with the 7xxx is to run the memory controller at a 1:1 ratio but you'll have to do a big of manual tweaking.

The 9 series X3D haven't been launched yet but will be in the coming months, no confirmation on dates and models yet.

A reason why the older series have more models is because certain chips might only have 6 good cores instead of 8. They might only run at 4.3ghz instead of 4.6ghz for example. So they are released later on to slot in between other processors.

E.g the 5800X3D was the only X3D CPU for ages. Then eventually AMD released the 5600X3D and 5700X3D which could all be the same CPU on the production line but binned differently.
For someone like me who doesn’t want to mess around with settings and have no idea how to Overclock, do is it not worth my money on getting 6000mhz ram and just go for the 5600mhz ?

i think the new 9600x 6 cores will do me or at a push the 9700x 8 cores. im not sure if the 9000 series X3D will be overkill for me as my pc won’t be just for gaming will be for general use and the odd editing,

say if I go for the 9600x , I’ve seen the prices say for a 4070 , 4070 super or 4070ti , think that would be a good card to go for that cpu? balance wise. Hoping the prices on the cards will go down next year.

be interesting to see what the prices and specs on new line of gfx cards or just get last gen card high spec much cheaper?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
9700 will be best for CPU based stuff, editing etc. especially if it's multicore supporting software. Single threaded they'll be fairly similar.

Won't really matter for games, you'll be GPU limited on a 4070 anyway at 1440P.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
As for ram, look for EXPO (like XMP for Intel) and stick to DDR6000 with CL30. You won't need to do so much tweaking then, just set it in the bios (make sure the motherboard allows EXPO RAM etc.)

Either a 32gb or 64gb kit depending on your needs (32gb is enough for most).

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
I just realised my cpu i9 14900k and the 7 7800x3d I have on order both have max ram speed of 5600 and 5200 respectively. I have 64gb 6000mhz in mine, I didn't know cpus had max speeds.

Is there any point running a faster speed? Does it 'de clock' the ram and put it under less stress?