ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Evo 5 RS
My Heaven run -

heaven_2014_01_09_01_00_07_704.jpg

Not sure how I'm getting higher than yours Scone? :dapprove:

Am I missing something here? Seams quite impressive for 2 x 680's!

Mate my run is a single card lol. So basically my 780Ti is a few point short of being faster than a pair of 680s. ;) ( I ran a 1832 last night)

Not done a Tri Sli run yet in Heaven

Last edited:
  F82 M4
Mate my run is a single card lol. So basically my 780Ti is a few point short of being faster than a pair of 680s. ;) ( I ran a 1832 last night)

Not done a Tri Sli run yet in Heaven

Haha that makes more sense now then! :)

Just says "x3" next to your card that confused me. :p

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
How careless! ;)
I know, I know... *grin*

Haswell.

Andy. W..what happened mate :(

;)
Yeah, I'm sorry mate... I'll try harder next time. :p If it weren't for the engine build and hols to pay for I'd have gone totally bonkers on the build probably (although not Scone-level bonkers....!) Hence I've aimed for a more middle-of-the-road setup (relatively speaking). Looking forward to getting back onto the PC for some gaming instead of purely using it as a development workstation. I haven't been on Steam since circa 2008... Looking forward to bagging some bargains.

Evo 5 RS
I can't remember what BIOS I was using, think it was Skyn3ts so would of been 1.121v which is still technically speaking 'stock' voltage ;)

Evo 5 RS
I know, I know... *grin*

Yeah, I'm sorry mate... I'll try harder next time. :p If it weren't for the engine build and hols to pay for I'd have gone totally bonkers on the build probably (although not Scone-level bonkers....!) Hence I've aimed for a more middle-of-the-road setup (relatively speaking). Looking forward to getting back onto the PC for some gaming instead of purely using it as a development workstation. I haven't been on Steam since circa 2008... Looking forward to bagging some bargains.

lol it's a nice build mate and will do everything you need it to, I was only teasing. X79 is an ageing platform anyway. Although Haswell-E isn't due till 2015 by the looks of it.

Evo 5 RS
nearly? I wish! Clocks there are 1316 core and 1970 mem. I'm gonna aim for a run at 2Ghz on the memory :D.

Skyn3ts BIOS removes vdroop (stock bios will only allow 1.150v most of the time due to hitting the power limit) and an increased power limit of 200%

Also removes boost so whatever you set your core clock to it stays there. The increased power limit helps as stock is 106% which is pants, so putting say 140% means the card won't throttle at all at 1.212v.

It's a s**te BIOS to use for gaming though as it has a lower stock voltage, (1.05v or something)

Some Classifieds have been hitting over 1400mhz core (on water). Tasty :)

Last edited:
  Bumder With A Buffer
Installed pretty much everything in that mods list in his description. Used Nexus Mod Mananger (NMM), TES5EDIT and BOSS to iron out any little errors in the load error etc. (there was only one during my build which was Climates of Tamriel.esp wasn't loading when I installed).

I then searched through the top files on Nexus mods and installed a few of those too, including Immersive Armour, Immersive Weapons, Animals etc. etc. Biggest mod was "Interesting NPCs" at 1.8GB! http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8429/?

Got so many mods now but it all runs with no problems at all. Even playing with the my 360 pad which is flawless - do want to get into K&M for this though. Nice to get back into Skyrim.

I worked my way through all then last night and then skyrim crapped itself and wouldn't load any save games, it would crash to desktop. A few of those mods I wasn't able to download either as file not found. I'll go back and reinstall them later. I did just try the end mod itself but really didn't notice any difference. But then I think I had the 2k textures installed too

F82 M4
Was testing BF4 on Ultra settings last night and I could smell my PC running hot after 30 mins or so. Checked the logs and the 2nd 680 hit 86c! Seamed quite hot but apparently they are good up to 98c? Although I most definitely wouldn't like my cards running that high for long. Anyway, does 86c seam the norm when having a "no gap" SLI setup?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Was testing BF4 on Ultra settings last night and I could smell my PC running hot after 30 mins or so. Checked the logs and the 2nd 680 hit 86c! Seamed quite hot but apparently they are good up to 98c? Although I most definitely wouldn't like my cards running that high for long. Anyway, does 86c seam the norm when having a "no gap" SLI setup?
Hi mate - one of my workstations at work has a "no gap" SLI setup and, when under stress, regularly run in the 80's; and for prolonged periods of time. Touch wood I've had no problems so far and it gets used / stressed every working day. The system is running no overclocking and basic air cooling.

F82 M4
Hi mate - one of my workstations at work has a "no gap" SLI setup and, when under stress, regularly run in the 80's; and for prolonged periods of time. Touch wood I've had no problems so far and it gets used / stressed every working day. The system is running no overclocking and basic air cooling.

All good then mate, appreciate that :)

I may just see if I can get a little bit more airflow around that area, my cable management is atrocious. :eek:

New PC specs as I'll be buying one or two items at a time.
Computer List:
ASRock 990FX Extreme 9 £144
AMD 9370-FX @ 4.7GHz £170
Use Same RAM £0
GTX 780Ti £450
Sell current 6950 for £150 back
Any SSD over 128GB £60+
Use current HDD and Optical Drive
H100 Liquid Cooling £0
Any 1200W PSU with 80+ £90

F82 M4
If you're spending that sort of money you want Intel. No if's or but's, they are far supperior to AMD's efforts in every way. ;)

Evo 5 RS
Per core it's not much slower than Haswell by the looks of it. Not many reviews on it though strangely. TBH if you're going with that CPU you might as well go with the 290X. You'll possibly see some great results with Mantle games. Although that limits you to Battlefield 4...and that's it for now lol.

:( Intel is so expensive though! The 9370 is very close to the I7 4770K and its about £70 more (going from Scan prices) and the Motherboards are more and I'd have to buy the H100 intel adapter too. :)
I'll have a look at the 290X comparisons now, ta

RX7 FD
Go Intel, get the Gigabyte Z87-OC for barely £10 more than the board you have specced (Highly recommended, plus I use it) and get an i74770K for the extra £70. Job done!

I been looking online and for the little extra I will be staying with the 9370. Very little between then from the unfortunate little thats online.

Plus its got 8 actual cores that reach 5.0ghz on turbo clock. I can just say "yeah its an 8 core with 5ghz" for bragging rights... I'll just not mention its an AMD cpu lol

Not a 320d
Worth upgrading from a GTX 680 yet? My system is holding up, generally i can play everything on full whack (1080p single monitor) but I can see its starting to struggle with newer games.

I think my CPU may be a bottle neck now if I were to upgrade the GPU.... i5 750.

Cayman S Edition 1
Just wish I'd waited for the 290 version. It has no issues playing BF4 on ultra, but I just want more FPS, so may get another 280x and run xfire.

ST1050, 320d
Can any of you experts spec me a rough list of components needed to build a PS4 equivalent gaming PC? Budget is relatively flexible as I will buy bits as I go, and upgrade as necessary as time goes on. I see most people favour Intel over AMD; with that in mind what brand/models should I be looking at for-

Mobo-
CPU-
GFX-
RAM-
PSU-

Storage etc, I will cobble something together. Same with the case.

i5 4670k,
too many mobos to list,
8gb ram will do, 16gb if you want
gfx has a wild amount of choices - an amd 280x would be a good shout, though maybe too expensive
storage - recommend a Samsung 840 ssd.
a good 550w psu will run it easy.

In all honesty, need a price you want to pay, you could spec anything :p

ST1050, 320d
i5 4670k,
too many mobos to list,
8gb ram will do, 16gb if you want
gfx has a wild amount of choices - an amd 280x would be a good shout, though maybe too expensive
storage - recommend a Samsung 840 ssd.
a good 550w psu will run it easy.

In all honesty, need a price you want to pay, you could spec anything :p

I am being a little vague, but the info you've given me is what I was after. Gives me enough to go on and do my own research, cheers.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
As a console fag I dont imagine my intrusion inside the 'Temple of desktop' is entirely welcome.

I really would like a gaming PC but I have neither the time or skills to build one myself.

Would someone be able to recommend me a good 'all in one' or a company who can build one for me? Even just a pointer in the right direction would be a huge help.

Thank you in advance.