ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Through your speakers? Under load is normally coil whine, mine are quite loud under load but nothing bad enough to make me of the same mind as you. Any vids of it mate?
Yes mate, through the speakers. I've never experienced coil whine quite this bad! I'll try and grab a vid at some point over the next day or so.

Is your build fully up and running now mate? Looks good (even in a grainy mobile pic). Have you still got the Titans?

F82 M4
SharkyUK Surely coil whine wouldn't come through your speakers, sounds like a slight interference somewhere? Tried using a separate sound card? I've got a spare sound card you can have.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK Surely coil whine wouldn't come through your speakers, sounds like a slight interference somewhere? Tried using a separate sound card? I've got a spare sound card you can have.
I'm not sure, mate... coil whine (from the PSU or GPU) shouldn't really come through the speakers in the true definition of what it means (although I may have a completely incorrect understanding of what coil whine is!) but I'm not sure what else it is. As the FPS increases in a 3D app/game, the pitch tends to increase. Likewise, lower framerates cause the pitch of the 'whine' to lessen. I did try different cable rearrangements, etc. but to no avail.

Sadly I don't have a separate soundcard to try as I threw my old one out a few days ago when I got this new system (it was an old Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS thing). What sound card do you have and how much mate? I have a 7.1 surround sound setup in the office that I was previously driving through the Audigy 2 ZS. Thank you.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Yes mate, through the speakers. I've never experienced coil whine quite this bad! I'll try and grab a vid at some point over the next day or so.

Is your build fully up and running now mate? Looks good (even in a grainy mobile pic). Have you still got the Titans?

Titans sold mate. One of which is dead apparently. Bloke managed to pop a VRM whilst on water! It's all up and running just a few bits I need to tidy like home the SSDs but it's all functioning as it should be :)

LOL Gray

Fiesta ST
I'm not sure, mate... coil whine (from the PSU or GPU) shouldn't really come through the speakers in the true definition of what it means (although I may have a completely incorrect understanding of what coil whine is!) but I'm not sure what else it is. As the FPS increases in a 3D app/game, the pitch tends to increase. Likewise, lower framerates cause the pitch of the 'whine' to lessen. I did try different cable rearrangements, etc. but to no avail.

Sadly I don't have a separate soundcard to try as I threw my old one out a few days ago when I got this new system (it was an old Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS thing). What sound card do you have and how much mate? I have a 7.1 surround sound setup in the office that I was previously driving through the Audigy 2 ZS. Thank you.

Sounds like EMI interference to me?

you can control the Fan manually on the card using EVGA P
recision tool just to see if it is the fan causing the interference?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK have you tried turning it off and on again? :eek:
LOL! Damn... I never thought of that one mate! :p

Titans sold mate. One of which is dead apparently. Bloke managed to pop a VRM whilst on water! It's all up and running just a few bits I need to tidy like home the SSDs but it's all functioning as it should be :)
Ouch regarding the dead Titan. Oh well, not your problem! :) Once you've finished tidying up, get a few pics up... wouldn't mind taking a look. :)

Sounds like EMI interference to me?

you can control the Fan manually on the card using EVGA P
recision tool just to see if it is the fan causing the interference?

Yeah bad shielding somewhere
Yes - you may well be right chaps. I'll have a play again tonight and see if I can improve the situation. I might also try disabling the 780 Ti and running integrated graphics (shudder) to see what happens. Cheers!

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Will do, it's pretty tidy as is just not got a camera at home at the moment which takes a decent picture lol.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Also are your internal audio cables for the jack connections on front the PC near the GPU?
I honestly can't remember without taking another look (although I'm fairly sure I routed the front-connector cabling as far away from the GPU as possible). I'll certainly take another look tonight.

F82 M4

Nah mate I don't want any money or anything, it's only a cheap old Xi-fi one but will do the job just to test it. Then if you know that is the problem then you can spend some money on a decent one. :)

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
I've been living through rose tinted lenses recently. Installed D3 with a few high res texture mods and other trinkets which ad HBAO, FXAA etc. hard to believe this games over 10 years old. Hopefully OpenGL will make huge leaps now Valve are backing it so heavily.

xdy6.jpg

c0q5.jpg

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A bit of an update on the 'is it coil whine, is it EMI' issue...

I've re-routed some of the cabling internally and I can happily say it's MUCH better. I think this is obviously related to some EMI issue as I now get zero noise / interference through the speakers. Both the 7.1 setup and headphones are nice and clear. So I'm happy that that is one issue fixed. However, there is still a whine...

...so, I ran a few GPU-heavy benchmarks and the whine was quite bad again (like last night). Following this, I then disabled the 780 and used the integrated graphics courtesy of the Haswell chipset; which resulted in zero whining when I ran a few graphics-intensive apps. Naturally I believed that the GTX 780 Ti was the culprit. I then re-enabled the 780 and ran the same benchmarks again. And, sure enough, the whining started again. BUT... for whatever reason, it's nowhere near as bad now! In fact, I can hardly hear it at all. It's weird. :S

As of now I'm a happy bunny again. Thanks for the help / suggestions chaps - much appreciated. I'll keep an eye / ear on things.

Nah mate I don't want any money or anything, it's only a cheap old Xi-fi one but will do the job just to test it. Then if you know that is the problem then you can spend some money on a decent one. :)
As above, I think all is good now mate so no need to pursue it further. However, I would like to say thanks all the same; very kind of you. Thanks! :)

I've been living through rose tinted lenses recently. Installed D3 with a few high res texture mods and other trinkets which ad HBAO, FXAA etc. hard to believe this games over 10 years old. Hopefully OpenGL will make huge leaps now Valve are backing it so heavily.
Blimey, it's amazing what a lick of paint can do!

Doom 3.

Scone, Have you done any bitcoin mining? i bet yours would be amazing.
AMD Radeons in Crossfire are the best bet for mining I believe; so much more suited internally than nVidia GPUs.

F82 M4
Just put everything over to the 540 and I absolutely love it. It's a joy to work with, cable management is brilliant. I'll get some pictures up in the day as lightbulb lighting looks s**t on my phones camera at night and I also need to wait for my EVGA Pro SLI Bridge :eek:

The case is a lot louder than my previous BitFenix Ghost though, so I'm definitely going to get a fan controller. :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Just put everything over to the 540 and I absolutely love it. It's a joy to work with, cable management is brilliant. I'll get some pictures up in the day as lightbulb lighting looks s**t on my phones camera at night and I also need to wait for my EVGA Pro SLI Bridge :eek:

The case is a lot louder than my previous BitFenix Ghost though, so I'm definitely going to get a fan controller. :)
Nice one mate - the 540 is great. Definitely the best case I've had. Looking forward to the pics. :)

Here you go Andy, need my camera back but another phone shot.
I'm a bit jealous. :) That looks fantastic mate.

In some ways I'm glad I still have the engine build to pay for otherwise I'd be very tempted to go 'Sconal' and do something similar to yourself. Albeit turned up to 11.

Polo + Micra
why the hell did i look in this thread.

i put a cheeky-ish bid on ebay on a cpu and won it and now need the rest of the pc:eek:

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Nice one mate - the 540 is great. Definitely the best case I've had. Looking forward to the pics. :)

I'm a bit jealous. :) That looks fantastic mate.

In some ways I'm glad I still have the engine build to pay for otherwise I'd be very tempted to go 'Sconal' and do something similar to yourself. Albeit turned up to 11.

Cheers mate. I'm chuffed to bits with it, performance & all :D

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Latest version of 'Perfected' mod mate. It's got a few weapon changes and adds the newer features. And a high res texture pack. Can't remember which though! Will have to look...

Note even with three 780tis at 1440P for me performance was a little broken!

F82 M4
I've decided that the 540 looks cool as f**k with the window at the top :cool:

IMG_20140123_174501.jpg

IMG_20140123_174516.jpg

IMG_20140123_174544.jpg

Crappy phone photos sorry. I must invest in a decent camera!

Oh, and he's my one of my new canvas prints :eek:

IMG_20140122_193735.jpg

Bumder With A Buffer
A few weeks back I came across a website that had games like D3 etc that were dirt cheap...I can't bloody remember it now.

It wasn't greenmangaming.

So what other sites are there to buy games from other then steam etc?