ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The runabout.. Staying standard. Well was.

FLOL! You make me sound like a slut :( but yes there is a trend that I usually end up with a new car after a girl. My car count is just ahead lol. Though I'm not sure if that's good.

Megane r26
If you don't mind me asking, what software do you use to map the standard ecu?

Where did you learn or find the relevant information on ecu programming?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I have someone who I work with for standard ecu's and the equipment is his, I can only personally real time map aftermarket with my own equipment, the standard ecu is a real ballache to work with. I normally avoid standard ecu's and head straight for aftermarket for most cars.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good luck for the rollers today Dan, really hope it can manage just that last couple of BHP to crack the magic 200 :)

Megane r26
I have someone who I work with for standard ecu's and the equipment is his, I can only personally real time map aftermarket with my own equipment, the standard ecu is a real ballache to work with. I normally avoid standard ecu's and head straight for aftermarket for most cars.

Oh right cool, I've had a bit of experience with go tech software a few years ago on a zetec turbo focus I was involved with. I found that fairly easy to work with but since then I haven't really dabbled with much. I'm really keen to learn more tbh, I've been in the trade for years now did all me apprenticeship with Volvo an all that but I find myself getting board now an want to learn more, thats not the kind of stuff they teach you at college lol.

Just re-read this.. When they do moan about my cars, the clock is ticking ;) as the last one found out.

Haha it took me a while to find one that doesn't, she just accepts it. We come as a package, me an the cars or nothing haha

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
He just text me this picture :)

03B0346E-D19B-4D34-9FBC-EE98928C8532-225-0000001C916F1034.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah, literally JUST, lol

Not sure if they are running it again, sometimes when these cars have been idling the intake can get hot and you find it takes a couple of runs on the rollers breathing all that air through before it cools down enough to give it a proper reading, so there might be a bhp or two left in it if that is happening, although I dont think he cares he just wanted to crack the 200 as he is one of those people that when he sets out to do something he keeps going till he does it :)

Megane r26
Fairplay, set a goal an achieved it!

Yeah with the bay being as small as they are the under bonnet temps soon would rise. I've noticed before after being in traffic in the past.

The rs2 really seems a good bit of kit tbh, shame its not in production anymore.

Megane r26
May be a silly question, but do you actually need ARPs for 200BHP? Or did you just put them in because you could?

From reading they fitted the arp's so they could raise the rev limit an lower the chance of rod bolt failure. By raising it they have hit the 200hp figure.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
May be a silly question, but do you actually need ARPs for 200BHP? Or did you just put them in because you could?

Its for the 7800rpm we are running that it makes them advisable, not the power directly.

TBH a set of valves would be advisable too if you were really looking for mega reliability, but obviously thats head off and new gasket etc to fit so a big expense, Dan has decided that he'll leave the valves unless he has a problem with them in which case he'll build up a new engine and fit them then. my mrs has the uprated valves in hers but wont make the numbers Dan has because her exhaust is too restrictive.

Where as the rod bolts are 80 quid and took him a few hours to fit, so are cheap insurance.

From reading they fitted the arp's so they could raise the rev limit an lower the chance of rod bolt failure. By raising it they have hit the 200hp figure.

Oh I see..

Its for the 7800rpm we are running that it makes them advisable, not the power directly.

TBH a set of valves would be advisable too if you were really looking for mega reliability, but obviously thats head off and new gasket etc to fit so a big expense, Dan has decided that he'll leave the valves unless he has a problem with them in which case he'll build up a new engine and fit them then. my mrs has the uprated valves in hers but wont make the numbers Dan has because her exhaust is too restrictive.

Where as the rod bolts are 80 quid and took him a few hours to fit, so are cheap insurance.

Makes sense now thanks.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Exactly correct mate :)

Would have made identical power without them, but the standard ones are risky at those rpm, so its better to swap them out and obviously for someone like Dan its no hassle to do so.

On my mrs engine I fitted some ARP rod bolts when I rebuilt the bottom end (and ARP head studs although those really are overkill) and when she built the head for it she used supertech valves as well. IMHO thats pretty much the perfect spec for an RS2 clio, but its a lot of extra expense and hassle.

Megane r26
Exactly correct mate :)

Would have made identical power without them, but the standard ones are risky at those rpm, so its better to swap them out and obviously for someone like Dan its no hassle to do so.

On my mrs engine I fitted some ARP rod bolts when I rebuilt the bottom end (and ARP head studs although those really are overkill) and when she built the head for it she used supertech valves as well. IMHO thats pretty much the perfect spec for an RS2 clio, but its a lot of extra expense and hassle.

Tbh I rather it be an overkill then kill it :)

In my opinion I'd much rather pay out a few quid extra for bits an spend a bit more of my time to know its less likely to let me down.

At the end of the day, rod bolt failure or valve failure is gonna result in more hassle an bigger expense no doubt.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Tbh I rather it be an overkill then kill it :)

In my opinion I'd much rather pay out a few quid extra for bits an spend a bit more of my time to know its less likely to let me down.

At the end of the day, rod bolt failure or valve failure is gonna result in more hassle an bigger expense no doubt.

The valves arent massively likely to fail TBH, so you are spending out quite a few hundred quid and a fair bit of hassle just on the off chance they might save a standard engine worth a couple of hundred quid.

One of those jobs that is worth doing if the head is off anyway, but otherwise not really worth it.
(we did my mrs cause the belt failed, so while it was apart I decided to fit new rings, ARP rod bolts, and ARP head studs and supertech valves, but the bill would be hard to justify to most people, total cost was around 1600 quid including 182 manifold and cat etc, and thats with NO labour charges!)

Megane r26
The valves arent massively likely to fail TBH, so you are spending out quite a few hundred quid and a fair bit of hassle just on the off chance they might save a standard engine worth a couple of hundred quid.

One of those jobs that is worth doing if the head is off anyway, but otherwise not really worth it.
(we did my mrs cause the belt failed, so while it was apart I decided to fit new rings, ARP rod bolts, and ARP head studs and supertech valves, but the bill would be hard to justify to most people, total cost was around 1600 quid including 182 manifold and cat etc, and thats with NO labour charges!)

Yeah I see what your saying, but I suppose it has given you more scope for more future development?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I see what your saying, but I suppose it has given you more scope for more future development?

It would do if it wasnt for the fact that my Mrs cares a lot that her car can legally pass an MOT, and cares a lot that it is quiet on long journeys, but doesnt care a lot if it makes 190bhp or 200bhp, lol

So I am effectively now unable to progress that particular car any further as its her daily and I cant do anymore to it now without compromising that, for once its a project Ive been involved with which is actually "finished".

If it was my choice it would be on bodies, hotter cams, forged pistons, and would be horrific as a daily, lol

The reason we didnt go forged pistons on the rebuild is they dont take big mileage well (her car is only almost 150K already and she is still piling the miles on hard)
The reason we didnt go hotter cams is fuel economy that she insists on it maintaining
The reason we didnt go bodies is she wont lose the aircon.

Sounds like she has spoilt my fun when you read all that, but actually far from it, I like a challenge and our challenge in this case was making the car very good on track whilst not compromising it AT ALL on still being a great road car, and we are really really pleased with what we have come up with, it just wont ever set CS alight with a big headline figure but it really does drive exceptionally well.

Megane r26
It would do if it wasnt for the fact that my Mrs cares a lot that her car can legally pass an MOT, and cares a lot that it is quiet on long journeys, but doesnt care a lot if it makes 190bhp or 200bhp, lol

So I am effectively now unable to progress that particular car any further as its her daily and I cant do anymore to it now without compromising that, for once its a project Ive been involved with which is actually "finished".

If it was my choice it would be on bodies, hotter cams, forged pistons, and would be horrific as a daily, lol

The reason we didnt go forged pistons on the rebuild is they dont take big mileage well (her car is only almost 150K already and she is still piling the miles on hard)
The reason we didnt go hotter cams is fuel economy that she insists on it maintaining
The reason we didnt go bodies is she wont lose the aircon.

Sounds like she has spoilt my fun when you read all that, but actually far from it, I like a challenge and our challenge in this case was making the car very good on track whilst not compromising it AT ALL on still being a great road car, and we are really really pleased with what we have come up with, it just wont ever set CS alight with a big headline figure but it really does drive exceptionally well.

Thats an ideal car for a lot of people on here, perfect compromise between performance and drivability.

When you say forged pistons won't handle big mileage why is that? Do they wear quicker themselves or cause more wear to the engine itself?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thats an ideal car for a lot of people on here, perfect compromise between performance and drivability.

When you say forged pistons won't handle big mileage why is that? Do they wear quicker themselves or cause more wear to the engine itself?

They expand more than standard pistons and as such have to run large clearance when cold, this leads to wear if continually cold started (like my mrs car is several times a day)

Megane r26
They expand more than standard pistons and as such have to run large clearance when cold, this leads to wear if continually cold started (like my mrs car is several times a day)

I remember a friend of mine was running a 440hp t series rover engine in his zr with je pistons fitted, one thing I noticed they were quite noisy when cold (sounded as if they were slapping!) but once warm quiet as a mouse!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I remember a friend of mine was running a 440hp t series rover engine in his zr with je pistons fitted, one thing I noticed they were quite noisy when cold (sounded as if they were slapping!) but once warm quiet as a mouse!

Yeah piston slap is common on forged engines, especially turbos where the tolerances tend to be generally a bit looser.

320D E91 Estate
He just text me this picture :)

03B0346E-D19B-4D34-9FBC-EE98928C8532-225-0000001C916F1034.jpg

Well done on getting the magical 200bhp Dan

Having driven and been in this car I have to say its an impressive car all round and that was at 192bhp!! Really nice all round car even without the impending 1.8T conversion!!

So, while waiting around at the garage I decided to have a little play in clip. I have reprogrammed the UCH to run daytime running lights, and they have activated the headlights which I like, I drive everywhere with headlights on anyway so it's a nice little touch.

So next part of my plan...

This morning left rather early(330am) to go to Lincoln, to collect my new daily driver...
267F2A39-F3DE-4341-B77E-94CAC9D27833-3741-000002746817B086_zps3c1d5a79.jpg

97CF36F5-A837-4C8F-87DB-A2BB2482626A-3741-000002745C76DF2C_zpsb88887cd.jpg

Needs a bottom end, but ill pull the motor from the Monaco and put it in the cup and use the cup as a daily. Few other observations, charging fault, no 12v feed at the exciter so not a massive thing to sort. The aux belt is easily the worst I've ever seen, it's transparent in places, so if the bottom end hadnt let go, the belt Would've within 200 miles!

53 Clio's & counting
New challenge then, we steal both ramps at your place, and see if we can get the engine out the monaco and into the cup in the same day - we can have a race on getting the engines out lol

2002 172
Glad to see you got it back ok bud. Was really gutted to see it go :( I am pleased its gone to a good home to give it the love that I was going to give it.

53 Clio's & counting
I was going to have that done in a day anyway ;)

I will have the cup engine out within 45 mins of you have the monaco lump out, thats the challenge i'm setting myself - which is no mean feat when you think you will have the Monaco's engine out in about 20 minutes lol

I think my record is 1.20 to have the engine out from driving in. I know I can do a complete change on a cup within 6hours.

Had a quick look at it today, the alt does have 12v at the exciter, so it's a new regulator needed :(

New alternator arrived for the cup, from spray shack. Ordered a new belt to fit too.

Started it up to bring it in to the garage and as I'm walking away to move my car out the way it rattled and cut out.

I was greeted with this.
316FAF7C-6EDF-4894-BD74-24248457B3FE-5865-000005D8E92FF80A_zps0d081177.jpg

f**k my life!

Well certainly needs an engine now.