ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The runabout.. Staying standard. Well was.

Quick update. My plate has been transferred over, goes on tomorrow.

2 sets, legal and 'show'.

20F7A87C-4097-4717-BC67-213F7BC77469-3423-0000025CE8B00ECC.jpg

So. While waiting for an engine to turn up down the garage i thought I'd get mine on the ramp and start doing some measuring. I'm going to have roughly 5mm each side of the engine and box to the chassis fails, so it'll be a tight fit! Problem I have is the 02m is alot taller than the 02j which just sits below the chassis rails from experience.

Then decided to see how well/badly the intercooler fits. It's certainly going to need some trimming of the cross member.
21DCFDEB-6260-4B23-A9DC-DCC9587A1576-6702-0000047D99E141F5.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you can get that to mount there that looks like it will be ideal, as the top of the rad will still have some fresh air to the top of it as well.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
By at LEAST a decade.

If I didn't have that deal with you, i'd sell it!

I've got the 182 and a 172 now and tbh, no interest in the mk1 since I lost my storage.

I just want to drive and do trackdays!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Flol, I wont hold you to that mate, was trying to do you a favour not put you in handcuffs, dont worry about it, things like losing your unit obviously changes everything.

I've got it mounted. Had to go higher otherwise it'll be hanging out the bottom of the bumper.

Some very temporary brackets made for positioning purposes, I can make a bit more fancy ones when I do the engine change.

B66F1773-EA6D-42BF-8D40-82043DA51FA5-6702-0000048D078D8C5C.jpg

C4CB3C0E-7DFE-4CB7-959B-9269981EF068-6702-0000048DBED571D7.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How does a MASSIVE intercooler like that effect the Rad? Noticeable?

Cheers mate. I've been chatting to chip about how to get around the cruise control hurdle, we think we have a brilliant solution tbh. But we will see.

Anyway..
C7C17094-8293-41E6-A9E8-3CC5AB9C1EE5-6702-00000536B905B7C6.jpg

I love the look, however I might paint it black and keep it stealthy.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
200 or die trying eh? LOL

Temporary engines are such fun, you can take risks you wouldnt if you needed it to stay in one piece!

Yes, all bar the 182 manifold that she has, and hers has the cat in it too. Mines the 172/decat setup.

Hers also has updates valves and ARP's.

Good results then! I'm constantly finding out peoples thoughts on RS2/197 cams or 438's as I'm going to be doing one or the other one day...

Standard pistons and rods? Just wondering if it would work with high comp pistons

How have I missed this thread, plans sound good but rs2 results are great.

+1

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good results then! I'm constantly finding out peoples thoughts on RS2/197 cams or 438's as I'm going to be doing one or the other one day...

If you go for the RS2, be careful who you choose to map it, Ktec for example I believe from someone's project thread on here (I forget who's it was now, I had a quick search but cant find it again) completely failed to get the RS2 to work well when they tried mapping it, in fact so much so that they convinced the customer it would be better to go back to a standard inlet, where as what he should have done of course IMHO is just go to someone who could actually map the RS2 properly!
If MWM can reguarly see high 180s and even quite often into to the 190s on a standard engine with an RS2, then I dont see why Ktec cant as well. And its not like anyone can question if MWM's figures are real results, as they are from Surrey rolling road, a very well respected and completely indepandant set of rollers who have no reason to be dishonest.
Likewise I have had no problems getting Dans to make almost 200bhp now with a set of 197 cams, on a rollers that are NOTHING to do with me, in fact I personally have never even been to their premises let alone know them and neither has James Stone, so they have no reason at all to try and fudge the figures etc to make me or the rs2 look good in fact they had never even heard of one till Dan turned up.
For comparison, Daz (think thats his name, Dan will know though) made 173 on the same rollers recently on matched inlets and decent exhaust etc, ie just what I would expect one to make, and 24bhp less than Dan's did. So I dont believe the figures are very far out at all.

So if you do get one, I would personally recommend you get MWM to map it for you.

Standard pistons and rods? Just wondering if it would work with high comp pistons

Ive yet to personally see a high comp motor on an RS2, but I would expect it to work very well.
I was tempted to go for high comp with my girlfriends one when we rebuilt it, but the problem is that its her daily car and hence is cold started at least a few times every day, and forged pistons arent as durable for that sort of things as the standard ones are, and we didnt want to sacrifice reliability, and she'd go nuts if she started to hear piston slap, she is pretty OCD with her car, lol.

Personally I dont think Lesley's car (my mrs) will make the same power as Dan's does for the simple reason that its got nowhere near as good an exhaust, its still got the cat and its running a mild steel 2 box ktec stealth, which is hardly a good choice for out and out power, but again as its a daily we dont want to swap half a gain of half dozen BHP extra for having to put up with a load more noise.

So in terms of showing what the RS2 is capable of, although Lesley's engine is a very good core spec (ARP rod bolts, ARP head studs, Supertech valves etc) in terms of allowing the engine to hold big rpm reliably, its not a good one for showing the peak possible gains, as its restricted by the exhaust and cat in order to still keep it a pleasant daily. I would expect hers to still top 190 though despite this, and it does go well. Must get it onto the rollers early next year and find out!

Indeed it was Daz. Chip and I were discussing cams when out mapping the other night actually, and personally I'm not sure if wilder cams would work as well with the RS2 as the 197's have, in he way that the 197's are mild enough not compromise low end too much, but allow it to make (IMO) great figures in the high RPM. The way it drives is just like a normal NA car, no kicks/punches/dieing off like the standard setup.

If you go for the RS2, be careful who you choose to map it, Ktec for example I believe from someone's project thread on here (I forget who's it was now, I had a quick search but cant find it again) completely failed to get the RS2 to work well when they tried mapping it, in fact so much so that they convinced the customer it would be better to go back to a standard inlet, where as what he should have done of course IMHO is just go to someone who could actually map the RS2 properly!
If MWM can reguarly see high 180s and even quite often into to the 190s on a standard engine with an RS2, then I dont see why Ktec cant as well. And its not like anyone can question if MWM's figures are real results, as they are from Surrey rolling road, a very well respected and completely indepandant set of rollers who have no reason to be dishonest.
Likewise I have had no problems getting Dans to make almost 200bhp now with a set of 197 cams, on a rollers that are NOTHING to do with me, in fact I personally have never even been to their premises let alone know them and neither has James Stone, so they have no reason at all to try and fudge the figures etc to make me or the rs2 look good in fact they had never even heard of one till Dan turned up.
For comparison, Daz (think thats his name, Dan will know though) made 173 on the same rollers recently on matched inlets and decent exhaust etc, ie just what I would expect one to make, and 24bhp less than Dan's did. So I dont believe the figures are very far out at all.

So if you do get one, I would personally recommend you get MWM to map it for you.

Ive yet to personally see a high comp motor on an RS2, but I would expect it to work very well.
I was tempted to go for high comp with my girlfriends one when we rebuilt it, but the problem is that its her daily car and hence is cold started at least a few times every day, and forged pistons arent as durable for that sort of things as the standard ones are, and we didnt want to sacrifice reliability, and she'd go nuts if she started to hear piston slap, she is pretty OCD with her car, lol.

Personally I dont think Lesley's car (my mrs) will make the same power as Dan's does for the simple reason that its got nowhere near as good an exhaust, its still got the cat and its running a mild steel 2 box ktec stealth, which is hardly a good choice for out and out power, but again as its a daily we dont want to swap half a gain of half dozen BHP extra for having to put up with a load more noise.

So in terms of showing what the RS2 is capable of, although Lesley's engine is a very good core spec (ARP rod bolts, ARP head studs, Supertech valves etc) in terms of allowing the engine to hold big rpm reliably, its not a good one for showing the peak possible gains, as its restricted by the exhaust and cat in order to still keep it a pleasant daily. I would expect hers to still top 190 though despite this, and it does go well. Must get it onto the rollers early next year and find out!

I won't post my results lol :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I won't post my results lol :p

Just over 180 wasnt it? Thats the same sort of numbers that similar freaky cups have done at surrey, would be interesting to run yours there as well and see if it does too.

Millerins made 181 and 165lbft on a standard engine, eek!

Just over 180 wasnt it? Thats the same sort of numbers that similar freaky cups have done at surrey, would be interesting to run yours there as well and see if it does too.

Millerins made 181 and 165lbft on a standard engine, eek!

Yeh Chip it was 183bhp and 148lbft. I was pretty happy. You just know if I post it up my poor car would get slated and told the dyno is over reading.

That was good reading Chip, thanks for that :)

I was at Surrey RR at the beginning of this year and from speaking to Charlie and reading what I've read on here his is the only dyno I'll be using. Seems to give very fair results that aren't covered in BS horsepower numbers!

Im planning on building an engine at the end of next year if funds allow as a bit of fun. So if an RS2 comes up at the right price at the right time I'll more than likely go for that and see what I can make. Like you said earlier in the thread, good fun pushing an engine you don't 'need' as such ;)

Last question for now, promise! Does the stock ECU have enough scope for making changes on say a high comp/RS2/197 cam'd engine or would I need aftermarket?

Sorry Dan, cluttering up the thread :eek: