ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The story of my ZR **Warning - Rover Content** PIC HEAVY

Well I don't swap and change wheels for styling, I want them to be lighter. Something both Straights and ZS wheels are not.

And lol at needs black avos.

Aye Scott it's on GAZ coilovers.

Z4
Well I don't swap and change wheels for styling, I want them to be lighter. Something both Straights and ZS wheels are not.

And lol at needs black avos.

Aye Scott it's on GAZ coilovers.

Is that why you've had them done in a custom finish? ;)

I didn't buy them with the intention of styling, I didn't even know if I would like them on the car. I didn't even want them refurbishing until I'd tried them on the car, which I've said in this thread and the wheels thread. I mentioned an idea for the finish, and it got done because they had a quiet week with the snow. I get sick of repeating myself on this forum.

With a bit of luck I'll be rid of the f**king thing in 6 months anyway.

Had a bit of a busy weekend. Here's the lowdown of what's been done...
  • Mouldy Side Repeaters replaced (still OEM)
  • Yellow removed from the fogs
  • Delocked door handle fitted to driver's door
  • TF Airbag Coupler fitted (No more SRS light)
  • Inspection of brakes/suspension (brakes = :()

Coupler -
30012010066.jpg

And the rest -
4318751442_3928da2f44_b.jpg

4318018937_171cb4f0eb_b.jpg

And a token shot of the bay (still a WIP for Fast Show, and needs a clean)
4318020361_84e0d410e6_b.jpg

Next weekend I've loads to be cracking on with too lol.

Oh and a quick shot of how I have to jack it up at home. Drive onto brick, then use emergency jack to raise the body enough to get the trolley jack in!
31012010073.jpg

The day has finally come; I've had the car nearly 2 years, and I'm pretty certain I now have the dreaded Head Gasket Failure, as shown in the following pictures. Coolant has been steadily disappearing for a couple of months now, and a black gunk has recently appeared in the expansion tank. Then, I found coolant weeping between the block and the head, the final piece of confirmation I needed.

10022010074.jpg

10022010075.jpg

10022010076.jpg

Rang my 3 usual parts places (Xparts, Andrew Pages and a Motor Factors) and the price difference is ridiculous. For all the parts, I've got a difference of £200, yes £200 between the prices quoted by the 3, Xparts being the most expensive.

I can't decide what to do about who to buy from. Xparts themselves seem to reckon liner heights don't affect gasket choice (WTF?!), none of them know about the Oil Ladders (Although Xparts said they think it comes as part of the MLS kit), and the other 2 seem quite cheap compared to Xparts.

I'm going to replace the cambelt (again, but this will be the 3rd time it's been de tensioned then re tensioned), a new water pump as it might as well be done, new head bolts, get the head skimmed (as I don't know if it ever was), and obviously gasket to suit liner heights.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Aren't the new Cambelt kits metal?

My mechanic will only uses Genuine kits, swears by them as they've been uprated to suit.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
What part are u wanting? i can get some prices for parts up my end, see if you can get them to match :D

or if its cheap enough i could mayb get them sent to you ;)

Edit: the gaskets i use the head doesnt need to be skimmed :eek: iv never had one done and never had any problems and iv done about 50+

Tried GSF or EuroCarParts, have any near your way?

Good call, we have an ECP in Leeds.

Aren't the new Cambelt kits metal?

My mechanic will only uses Genuine kits, swears by them as they've been uprated to suit.

Metal cambelts? Nope!

There's various different HG kits, which one you use is dependent on the liner heights. The newer Multi Layered Steel (which I presume you are referring to) won't work properly if the liner height is less than a 3thou protusion from the block.

What part are u wanting? i can get some prices for parts up my end, see if you can get them to match :D

or if its cheap enough i could mayb get them sent to you ;)

Edit: the gaskets i use the head doesnt need to be skimmed :eek: iv never had one done and never had any problems and iv done about 50+

• 10x Headbolts
  • Water Pump
  • Cambelt Kit (Belt & Automatic Tensioner)
  • Whichever HG kit I need (Either MLS or the original, dependant on what I find when I take it apart)
  • Possibly a Freelander Oil Ladder (although nowhere bar Xparts seems to even know what one is)

I might as well get the head skimmed for piece of mind. I'd rather know it was true than not bother. Those gaskets may say that, but they'll still work better on a freshly skimmed head. At least I have a spare head so can get that skimmed, hopefully our machinist at work will be willing to do it for me.

Turbos.
Unlucky on the HGF, guess you have an excuse to tidy up the engine bay... at least the car is looking good above!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
FLOL @ Metal cambelts!!! What a fcuking prick! lol!!!

You know what I meant!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Is that .......^^ Osama Bin Laden??

Why doesn't CS have Osama Bin Laden??

My spare cylinder head is going to be dropped off on Monday for a skim & pressure test at Ashby & Anderson on Whitehall Rd in Leeds. They come recommended by a trusted mate so all should be well.

Will start the strip down this weekend most likely.

Ford Bantam 1.6
aww not want you want mate :dapprove:,i was gutted when i got HGF but its sorted and havent had a problem saying that i need to drive the car haha

It's only bad as I'm brassic this month. What with replacing all the brakes, then insurance renewal (which I'm paying in one), and tracker subscription due too before pay day.

Fixing it's not an issue, always wanted to pull this engine apart anyway as I've never seen a stripped down K lol.

Current State of Play...
  • Water Pump, Cambelt Kit (unfortunately not a metal one Daniel), Coolant, Oil, Oil Filter and Payen Head Bolts bought
  • O/S/F Wheel Off
  • Front Bumper Off (Sheared one of the wing bolts, bad times!)
  • Induction Kit Removed
  • Ignition Cables/Coils Removed
  • PAS Belt & Alternator Belt Removed
  • Top Timing Cover Off
  • Cams Locked in Position
  • Rocker Cover Sat loose on top of engine (to keep crap out for the time being)
  • Oil Drained & Filter Removed
  • Camshaft Sensor disconnected

Still lots to do on the stripdown yet, but all that lot took about 2 or so hours including making sure everything is neatly stored and generally not rushing through it.

Last edited:
That's it, just taking my time and making sure I know where it all goes when I put it back together lol.

Cheers about the ride height. I've now got the OZs on and they're wider plus less offset, so it rubs on the rear again. Got some -1.5 deg camber plates to fit to solve that on the rear.