ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The strongest wheel cleaner is....?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
A friend has a problem with removing dirt/brake dust that more or less seems ridiculously stubborn. It looks like a build up over many miles and years.

Anyone have an idea of what type of cleaner is necessary and where it can be purchased?

Not too bothered if it contains acid. Needs to be VERY strong.

Thanks.:)

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Nitromors if you are going to refurb the wheel lol.

Try wonder wheels, Megs wheel brightner or a strong clay.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I had heard a very strong wheel cleaner was available from Renault?:-S
Is the Wonder Wheels one of the strongest youve used?This dirt aint coming off without a fight.:-(

182 Cup
Fairy power spray! Only thing that did the trick when I left my wheel cleaning too long when I had pf97 pads in. At your own risk though!

wonder wheels is highly acidic and so will remove the caked on brake dust, but will dull the wheels.

this however can be remedied by a good polish. as stated, i suggested diluted wonder wheels, followed by a good claying! then polish, seal and can use soapy water from then on.

jamie

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I use Brick acid on mine. Only once mind and they will come up like new with a good soak and a scrub with a toothbrush.

If you keep using it, it will eventually eat away all the laquer.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I use Brick acid on mine. Only once mind and they will come up like new with a good soak and a scrub with a toothbrush.

If you keep using it, it will eventually eat away all the laquer.

Brick acid is bought from a builder's merchant?:S

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
  Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
wonder wheels is highly acidic and so will remove the caked on brake dust, but will dull the wheels.

this however can be remedied by a good polish. as stated, i suggested diluted wonder wheels, followed by a good claying! then polish, seal and can use soapy water from then on.

jamie

Cheers. I may give the Wonder Wheels a go.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I think Brillo pads might be a little harsh. Scratches?
normally they get a good drench with a strong dilution of megs APC and left to dwell then wiped clean but if i have left them for a bit (brake dust round the back of the wheel etc) then i get the brillo pads on the back. dont use it on the front though as my wheels have never been that bad.

106 GTi
I would steer clear of using any sort of abbrassive pads even on the insides as they will scratch, let the acid do the work.

Cleaned up some dirty wheel inners yesterday using some Wonder Wheels and Brake Cleaner, got there in the end, keeping the wonder wheels wet so the acid could do it's job seemed to work, keep on agitating it around the whole wheel inner for about 10 mins before removing it and it did the job.

N/A Currently
I used wonder wheels today, and that stuff is gd

I did 2 wheels, took a while (and alot of degreaser due to CV grease on the inside rim), alot of brillo pads and water, but i got them pretty damn clean (not brand new, but enough to tell they've been done and so i've got a platform to work from)

Dead easy to use as well, just brush on and agitate with a wheel brush

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
I would steer clear of using any sort of abbrassive pads even on the insides as they will scratch, let the acid do the work.

Cleaned up some dirty wheel inners yesterday using some Wonder Wheels and Brake Cleaner, got there in the end, keeping the wonder wheels wet so the acid could do it's job seemed to work, keep on agitating it around the whole wheel inner for about 10 mins before removing it and it did the job.

wouldn't tardis do the job undiluted, agitated with a wheel brush and left for 2mins or so? and then use an aggressive clay bar?

Prob talkin out my arse though. lol :eek:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Seriously, as a one off, fairy power spray or brick acid. Wouldnt touch them with a brillo pad, scrathy scratchy!!!!

106 GTi
wouldn't tardis do the job undiluted, agitated with a wheel brush and left for 2mins or so? and then use an aggressive clay bar?

Prob talkin out my arse though. lol :eek:

Tar remover is designed to remove tar, won't remove etched in brake dust like an acidic product will.

Clay works on bonded stuck on brake dust, but again falls down on etched in marks, as it shears off above the surface contamination.

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
Tar remover is designed to remove tar, won't remove etched in brake dust like an acidic product will.

Clay works on bonded stuck on brake dust, but again falls down on etched in marks, as it shears off above the surface contamination.

Ah right ok, yes i just thought neat tardis was quite strong.

I guess this person should show his friend how to take care of his wheels from now on. :D

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Wonder Wheels seems to be doing the job. Gonna need another application and alot more elbow grease.:eek:

106 GTi
Let it dwell longer - I was agitating it for about 5 mins to get the best out of it last weekend.

Racing Blue 182 Cup
i find the safest way to use wonder wheels is to only leave it on for about a minute, but put on several applications. (so 3x1 min for example). i certainly wouldn't use anything abrasive! ww cleans all the caked dust off brake callipers too-works a treat if they are painted. i was going to repaint mine but discovered they come up as good as new.:)

RB 182
I'm using Carbol Lorraine pads and they mullered my wheels. Wonder wheels left on for a minute or so and agitated with a brush got if off no problem. a quick polish and wax and they should just need soapy water once a week to keep on top of them. I'd never polished and sealed my wheels before but now see the reasoning behind it.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I'm using Carbol Lorraine pads and they mullered my wheels. Wonder wheels left on for a minute or so and agitated with a brush got if off no problem. a quick polish and wax and they should just need soapy water once a week to keep on top of them. I'd never polished and sealed my wheels before but now see the reasoning behind it.

Yeah, must get around to polishing and sealing the wheels. Not an easy job with these O.Z multispokes.:dapprove: