ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The ultimate wheel cleaner?

I basically have satin black wheels which i bought brand new. They've always been sealed with poor boys wheel sealant but some reason i'm getting white glazing on the paint.

I'm not sure what this is so I'm hoping a decent wheel cleaner will remove the sealant and hopefully the white glazing.

Can anyone recommend a strong but safe wheel cleaner?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
ValetPro bilberry or AutoFinesse Imperial are both decent wheel cleaners. They would certainly degrade any typical wheel sealant but may not remove it 100%.

Then you have iron and fallout removers that are handy used on wheels as they remove the imbedded brake dust etc like Carpro IronX.

I would then recommend getting a quartz / glass coat wheel sealant to protect them properly which will last a few years that will then only need basic shampoo and water to clean the wheels

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Without knowing what it is or what's causing it it's hard to say. It may the wheel wax itself leaving something behind when curring on the satin finish.

As Dave mentions, I'd use a iron out remover, then something like eraser to remove the old wax /sealant. clean again with a ph neutral wheel cleaner say Juicy details mint wheel cleaner and re seal. once sealed you only need to use shampoo from then on.

Platinum wheels is brilliant.
http://carboncollective.eu/shop/?product=platinum-wheels-coating

White marks could be due to the poorboys wheel sealant, this is wax based stuff? if so if any is left on and dried it would turn white on a surface like satin black.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You shouldn't use that stuff on a matte/satin finish mate.

You shouldn't use that stuff on a matte/satin finish mate.

I'm guessing you're talking about poor boys wheel sealant?

I've just ordered some valetpro bilberry wheel cleaner and I already have ironx and fallout remover.

It's just a case of finding a good sealant as Dave mentions.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
A little update on this after our attempts yesterday.

After a good wash the white hazing left behind by the poorboys wheel sealant was terrible. Strong dilution of Bilberry liberally sprayed on and left to dwell a few minutes then worked with a small detailing brush just cleaned off the grime sitting ontop of the sealant but didn't touch the white hazing.

Wheels were then worked on with IronX and oblitarate and neither touched it agian. then tried 99% IPA diluted 1:3 and eraser and although an improvement, it was still evident. after that I resorted to lightly watered down GTechniq P1 on a tri foam applicator which then removed the remains, followed again with IPA and eraser to ensure clean.

a little trial with DLUX on the inside edges of the wheel to ensure it doesn't leave in hazing before the full wheel is coated, was looking fine when I left but wait on 182_Adam responce on the final finish.

Can't beleive how difficult the poorboys sealant was to remove, especially when it wasn't doing a good job of resisting grime and brakedust. Another reason why only nano wheel sealants are worth using, more so with any satin or matt finish.

A little update on this after our attempts yesterday.

After a good wash the white hazing left behind by the poorboys wheel sealant was terrible. Strong dilution of Bilberry liberally sprayed on and left to dwell a few minutes then worked with a small detailing brush just cleaned off the grime sitting ontop of the sealant but didn't touch the white hazing.

Wheels were then worked on with IronX and oblitarate and neither touched it agian. then tried 99% IPA diluted 1:3 and eraser and although an improvement, it was still evident. after that I resorted to lightly watered down GTechniq P1 on a tri foam applicator which then removed the remains, followed again with IPA and eraser to ensure clean.

a little trial with DLUX on the inside edges of the wheel to ensure it doesn't leave in hazing before the full wheel is coated, was looking fine when I left but wait on @182_Adam responce on the final finish.

Can't beleive how difficult the poorboys sealant was to remove, especially when it wasn't doing a good job of resisting grime and brakedust. Another reason why only nano wheel sealants are worth using, more so with any satin or matt finish.

Very interesting that it left white patches on matte wheels.

Good news! no hazing from the dlux. So, to give it a week and try the front of the wheels. Though I imagine it to be very difficult getting into the smaller areas with any form of compound to remove the current sealant.

Thanks @Yellow Dave :)

A wealth of knowledge and all round top bloke, thanks for the help.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Glad to be of help, let me know if you'd like a hand again.

Been thinking about where the sealant has collected between the top of the spoke and the outer rim, reckon it can be done ok with a bit of elbow grease