ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Ultimate Wheel Cleaning Guide

Many of my regular customers have asked about some guides in relation to detailing and some of the hints and tips i use .First up is the guide to cleaning and maintaining your alloy wheels and the products that are used in the process.
The test car was my very own BMW which had racked up a few miles over the last few weeks.The wheels had not been treated to anything other than a wash several weeks ago for the purpose of this guide
Picture529.jpg

The first step is to ensure the wheels are cool to the touch as this will make the process a lot easier and the products will work better as well.
The first product to be used was BLUE RIM AND WHEEL CLEANER,which was diluted 4:1 into a 1 litre plastic bottle and was sprayed via a chemical resisitant sprayer,and left to dwell for 5 minutes.
Picture535.jpg

After 5 minutes the cleaner was sprayed off via pressure washer and then the back of the wheels were brused using a meguiars wheel brush.

Picture536.jpg

This was the finished article
The next step was to wax the wheel with our RIM WAX and this was left on the wheel for 1 hour .The RIM WAX will remove light surface scratches and will help protect your wheels against brake dust and make future cleaning a lot easier.RIM WAX has been made to withstand the heat that is generated from your wheels thus creating a better barrier against brake dust ,normal waxes and sealants are not made to withstand the same temperatures as the RIM WAX.
Picture545.jpg

The final piece is now to dress the tires and the tires for this purpose have been dressed with TRIM GEL via aTIRE DRESSING APPLICATOR,and left to dry for 30 minutes to minimise any sling
Picture550.jpg

www.carwashnwax.com

Chocolate Bar™
thats awesome. can products such as rim wax be used on polished wheels, or do you need to stick to brasso/autosol

The Rim Wax can be used on any sort of wheel ,the benefit of rim wax is that its made to withstand the heat generated from your wheels thus lasting longer,it doesnt evaporate like normal waxes do under extreme heat

106 GTi
R9DCG said:
No Rich not acid based at all and it can be diluted 3 or 4:1

Nice one I have been using AG Engine and Machine Cleaner or Megs APC as I dont like Acid based products. Another one for the list then!

The above products used were
Chemical guys Blue Rim And Wheel Cleaner 32oz dilutes 3or 4: 1 £10.99
Chemical guys Triim Gel 16 oz £8.95
Chmeical Guys Rim Wax £11.95

Total price normally £31.89
Delivery £4.95
Total £36.84

Cliosport price £32.00 delivered

orders via pm please as this is only vailable to cliosport memebers

RB 182
Don't forget you'll need a sprayer for the Blue Rim and Wheel Cleaner, plus the trim gel was applied with the tyre applicators.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
dammnnn,might sell my alloys and get some that can have a reet awesome shine

172 Cup
Very good products. That what I use when I clean alloys. I offer a very good service for people who cant find the time to properly details their alloys.

PM me if your interested.

RB 182
As said before this can resist the heat that is produced on your alloys opposed to normal wax, thus giving you better protection.

Skoda Fabia vRS
the wheel cleaner, is it safe to leave on the wheels for a few minutes all the time ?

as normal cleaners have to be rinsed off in about 1 minute, also, will it strip the rim wax

Defo wont strip the wax , i normally spray on and the time it takes me to set up my pressure washer then rinse off.
It comes up as if ive just rewaxed the wheels

Yes mate ,have alook at these pictures of my wifes car,just after a clean with the Blue Rim and Wheel cleaner.The Rim wax was applied 2 weeks prior to this shot ,and you can see the water is still beading
Picture437.jpg

106 GTi
Sounds intresting a cleaner than only strips the grime not protection would be a real bonus.

Beading in itself is not a sign there is any protection left. Brand new paint beads water.

These wheels are 2 years old.A simple application of the Rim Wax left on the wheel for 30 mins and then buffed off to reveal a great shine.2 weeks later and the beading effect is still there.I normally reapply once a month

Skoda Fabia vRS
ok, very interesting

the wheel cleaner then, just how strong is it, as ive tried Megs APC on my wheels and although it gets the majority of the dirt off, its no substitute for a proper wheel cleaner and im now back to using Megs Wheel Brightener