ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Williams’s!

TT 225

Okay people, discuss.

Im rather pissed at a certain bjfosteruk aka BEN, who states, without ANY reason, that the Willy 2 is the car "Not to Buy" and anyone who knows about Renaults should know this.

And apparently the Willy 3 with sunroof and ABS is soooooo much better.

why does it bother you sooooo much??

a willy is a willy, i wouldnt say no to either version.

are you trying to start a debate or an argument??

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

IMO Willy 1 & 2 are a better colour (if im right in thinking the 3 is monaco blue)

But to be honest Id have no prefered choice over any! Their all quality motors!

:)

i would just make sure that none had a sunroof.

apart from that and the dislike of the MK1 grille and bumpstrips (easily changed)....i woudnt give a damn.

TT 225

Weight - It doesnt bother me that much - I just like a discussion about the pros and cons of each. I did ask Ben but he didnt give any reasoning - just stated that people who knew anything about renaults should know not to buy one.

so are you using this board for your own personnal means to get back at someone you have had a disagreement with??

It just doesnt seem very constructive IMHO

TT 225

It was after several of his posts on another part of this board. I asked him to post about it in general chat but the thread continued on someones For Sale thread - which Isnt very constructive.

For my personal means? well yes. Thats what its here for. If someone asks a question its for their information as far as I was aware. I asked for a discussion on the pros and cons of each of the Williamss, to LEARN.

If there are such differences then I would like to know what they are.

Ben R - not you hunni :)

I agree that it is wrong to hijack anothers post, but i am sure if one of the moderators were contacted they would tidy the thread.

The forum is a community based affair, and whilst i agree that it is here for your personnal development, i disagree with the way your going about this particular issue with bjfosteruk

Depends what you mean by better, and what you want out of the car.

If you value ABS and a sunroof - then the Willy 3 is a lot better for YOU...

If you want the ORIGINAL, then the Willy 1 is better for YOU..

If you dont care either way, then any Willy is great... All 3 versions are fantastic cars.

Daz.

I must agree with kelly. bjfosteruk was out of order, tried to tell me i dont know about cars

Which williams ? , its just a matter of personal taste, all good cars, might sell mine and get a cup.

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

Ive heard a lot of people say the Williams 2 is the worst

But in my view.... Mechanically they are the SAME, apart from abs on the 3. Still a Williams, differences are minor on them. Performance and handling is the same. So what if there are more Williams 2s out there than the others? Still very very very rare anyway. I havent seen another Williams on the road for months!!

I have a 2, and I love it :D

Golf GTi Mk1

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and i made mine, saying that if i had the choice i would only ever buy the Williams 1 or 3, this is because everything i have ever read, heard and researched determined me to make this descion why Kelly is bothered so much i dont know? she has done nothing but sl*g me off since i made that opinion!

I do not have nothing against her but she seems to think i do, just because i said it she seems to think i have something against her car! just thought i would say my bit and like someone said this is a forum for people to discuss and not start arguments with other members, my advice to Kelly is to grow up and CHILL OUT!!

Your just embarassing yourself girl! :oops:

Ben

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

To be fair, Ive chatted to Ben a bit on msn, and he has never sl*gged of my Williams 2 at all :)

Quote: Originally posted by bjfosteruk on 02 January 2003

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and i made mine, saying that if i had the choice i would only ever buy the Williams 1 or 3, this is because everything i have ever read, heard and researched determined me to make this descion why Kelly is bothered so much i dont know? she has done nothing but sl*g me off since i made that opinion!

I do not have nothing against her but she seems to think i do, just because i said it she seems to think i have something against her car! just thought i would say my bit and like someone said this is a forum for people to discuss and not start arguments with other members, my advice to Kelly is to grow up and CHILL OUT!!

Your just embarassing yourself girl!

Ben
I do not see how she is embarassing herself, she has asked a question on a discussion forum, and now has some answers, all that was wanted was some pros and cons which to me seems as though she wants to listen to good and bad which defienetely is not embarassing.

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

My take on it is as follows (very similar to a post by daz, who summed it up nicely)

All the Williams are great cars. If you want a fine hot hatch, then any Williams fits the bill. If however, you are like me and like numbered cars (like LCs, Scoob RB5s, etc) then its obvious that an original Williams is going to be favourite. Similarly if ABS, sunrooves, leccy mirrors etc float your boat, then the 3 has to be a favourite.

When I was looking for my Williams, I didnt look at any 2s or 3s. They could have been the best in the world, but I wasnt interested as I wanted one of the originals. Crapping on about which is best is irrelevant really, as mechanically and cosmetically theyre all almost identical. The issue is which one is best for the individual. And the original is my choice every time.

Paul

To quote from a website review:

Although the Williams 2s and 3s are not as sought-after today (mainly because of the missing serial-numbered Williams plaque on the dashboard), they are just as delightful to drive.

Nothing more to say.....for now :).

Bill

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by ReNWiLL on 02 January 2003

To quote from a website review:

Although the Williams 2s and 3s are not as sought-after today (mainly because of the missing serial-numbered Williams plaque on the dashboard), they are just as delightful to drive.

Nothing more to say.....for now :).

Bill
To furher quote.

I have a number on a plaque in my car, but its right behind the seats and it certainly doesnt make mine drive any differently or less delightful.

Dash

well im happy with my willy 2, quick, handles great. Sunroof? why i need one of them? i have enough windows on the car for sunlight and fresh air etc. im not gonna drive with my head sticking out sunroof am i!!

ABS? pffft why would i need that? i can drive my car without the help of a computer breaking system.

IMHO, i think willy1 and 2 are better than 3, 3 is the easy route to driving williams. ;)

1 and 2 are the fun and exciting driving machine :D

I dont think ABS would detract from the experience, all you do is make sure ABS doesnt intervene if there is some machoistic reason for not using it.

willy 1 is THE williams to own, number on the dash, first one released, supposedly a limited run etc etc, until they start makin more of the f**kers, willy 2+3.

williams and trophy

hehe gotta agree with pmitchell on this one.

if u want a plaque and a little extra resale value (if u ever want to sell it that is) then a willy 1 is for you. i only looked at willy 1s when i was looking to buy mine and seeing the state of some of them i know why peoeple go for willy 2s n 3s.

but IMHO if u want 2 litre power n williams handling with extras like s/roofs (weak spots in the roof ask ben lol) leccy mirrors etc. get a valver with a megane block lol and a tweeked suspension

The saddest thing I ever saw was an original Williams 1 at a supermarket a couple of years ago. It was parked up in the "Mother & Child" spaces, with two child seats in it and an obviously stressed mum fumbling around in it trying to get her kids to stop throwing around more jam/sweets/paper/crumbs etc. The interior was stinking.

The outside was hardly better: it hadnt had a wash since about the dawn of time, its alloys were badly kerbed, the rear wiper was missing and rust had set in on the rear arches.

Made me want to cry :(

williams and trophy

well im nearly there ........ with the 2 babyseats in the back n doing the shopping in it and the wheels badly kerbed.........

but theres no rust on mine and the back wipers still there.

but ..... i think the reacaro start sport baby seats add to the interior rather than take from it

BMW 320d Sport

lol Ben I remember you saying about that Willy you saw doing the Mothercare run, that was ages ago, the dawn of time it seems!

IMHO all Willys are great. And without a sunroof even better!

personaly i think all williams are super cars, but to be honest and as i say its everyone to there own, i think the 1 and 2 are the better car for there colour and also im not into having a sunroof in such a small car. not having one keeps it solid.

col

right people,lets try an finish the debate (he he) if ya want :-

neater,more minimal bump strips

stiffer chassis,hardcore feel (no abs,leccy mirrors)

correct colour paint job and wheels (sorry col)

numbered exclusivity (not just numbers made i.e willy 3)

ultimate resepct from those who are in the know (boy in chippy "is that a williams" - aye certainly is son)

then u should go for a williams 1,but if u want second best or "cant be arsed searchin for a good un" then go for the 2 or 3 (sorry peeps,only 1 for me)

although admittedly,i have change the wiper on mine to a phase 2,so much smoother,the only other thing i miss is the heated side mirrors,apart from that i wouldnt change a thing about willy 1 no.148 esp THE WHEELS PEOPLE KEEP IT WILLIAMS !!!!!!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by willy148 on 04 January 2003

right people,lets try an finish the debate (he he) if ya want :-

neater,more minimal bump strips

:disagree; willy 2 & 3 far more sophisticated.

stiffer chassis,hardcore feel (no abs,leccy mirrors)

:Nothing changed in the chassis department throughout the range

correct colour paint job and wheels (sorry col)

:Willy 2 is the same williams blue used on the 1

numbered exclusivity (not just numbers made i.e willy 3)

:whats in a number, but due respect if thats your bag.

ultimate resepct from those who are in the know (boy in chippy "is that a williams" - aye certainly is son)

:Get that all the time too

then u should go for a williams 1,but if u want second best or "cant be arsed searchin for a good un" then go for the 2 or 3 (sorry peeps,only 1 for me)

:2nd best..I think not

although admittedly,i have change the wiper on mine to a phase 2,so much smoother,the only other thing i miss is the heated side mirrors,apart from that i wouldnt change a thing about willy 1 no.148 esp THE WHEELS PEOPLE KEEP IT WILLIAMS !!!!!!!!!

:Nothing wrong with alternate winter use wheels.

Bill.

When I was looking I wanted a 2 cause they fetch less money for the same car. Semmed sensible as I reckon I could live without a little plaque and Ill just take it steadier on blind bends for the lack of ABS. I ended up with a one cause it was the best nick and as cool as the plaque is I dont reckon Id pay any extra for an identical condition 1 over a 2. Quite a few internet guides were recommending the 2 over the others for better value for money.