ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking about defecting

Hello all,
The time has come after 2 years, im looking for a new car.

I will be selling my Clio172 mk1 soon.

Heres my shortlist of cars that ive been considering getting. favourite from top to bottom. (including Clio cup, staying on topic)

1) VX220 used around £16k
2) VW Golf GTI anniversary180 used aprox £17k AMD chip at a later date to 220bhp
3) Honda Civic Type R import £15K
4) Clio Cup New but save stack of cash (sensible option) £12K
5) Subaru MY03 New on import for £17k
6) BMW 530 Msport on 2000 plate with around 50000miles for about £16K
7) Seat LEON cupra R £16500
8) Audi S3 used on 2000 plate £16-17k

Im looking to buy in July, ready for some summer fun. All i have to do now is sell my Clio Mk1 172 which ive had for 2 years.
I personally think the VX220 wins hands down on looks alone and rareness, and it has a pretty good rating in EVO mag at 5stars.

What do you lot think?

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Id get a williams and rebuild it

Then again, VX220, or Subaru are very very tempting

I drove at bedford the VX220 then the EVO (ok not a scoob but almost!) and the EVO felt like a big fat jelly! Also as you say the VX220 looks gorgeous, the scoob is pig ugly! Get the lightning, yellow with black 17s! Yum!

Am thinking of getting one myself with me dad :devilish:

-Rob

Thats a real variety of cars!

Id say Clio Cup for head and for heart, but I imagine it might be too much of the same thing for a new car. Theyre all capable cars, but the 530i might not be the best buy considering the impending E46 and the Golf would be fine in a straight line though would disappoint where your 172 makes you smile now.

Do you have to replace the 172? Why not just sit on the cash until you see something you really want? Then youll have the money ready to buy it straight away! My parents keep trying to get me to buy a "sensible" car, but whats the point on me blowing thousands of ££££ on depreciation when I can just enjoy my Valver and take the train instead?? :D

im still waiting for us to get a 3.0 Z4 down at work to play with :D

was at BMW GB on monday and tuesday for a training course and they had a few down there, lots more aggressive than the Z3

supra turbo (way within pricerange)

pulsar gtir (ugly but quick)

E36 M3 evo

M coupe

R33 skyline

and so on .........................the list is massive and some really quick cars under that budget so money saved could be spent on mods

Focus ST3 + proper Mini

had a play with a vx220 turbo the other day. Christ their quick!! 2.2 Turbo (very nice), only caught up with him at the roundabouts..

Bloke @ works just taken delivery of a Golf R32, very nice,very expensive and very thirsty!!

Elise/VX220/R26

VX220 without a doubt m8 or if you can run to the servicing costs get the "proper" version - Lotus Elise!!

why the VX?

its a horrid car to drive, pass a nice chassis from lotus to vauxk, where they add larger rear tyres and swap it all round to understeer....horrid things!

if your gonna use that chassis, get the right one, an elise, no buts not ifs......

Clio Williams2

Imprezza for ultimate sound and general rallyness - Pro drive, etc. or Skyline for pretending to be F15 pilot. (gadgets ets)

Clio 197

If you guys and girls think Renault quality control is a bit sub par, then just have a gander at the Lotus Elise and the Opel/Vauxhall clone. I was in an Elise the other day with about 5000km on the clock. The gearbox was junk, there were oil droplets all over the back, and the gear noise was horrific.

Great concept. The execution leaves a bit to be desired. Still I wouldnt mind having one...

true, early ones are poor, the bedford autodrome ones had a problem with teh lower dash fallling off mid corner! lol

still the ELISE is a good car.